Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lets see what we can find. Old Indiana Model A Hotrod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeremy Jalopies, Jan 15, 2017.

1. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

Don't mean to sound like a prick here, but why do you want to know all the history if you aren't planning to honor it or make the car as it once was?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

was it a light blue? There seems to be some light blue under the black but its hard for me to tell. The rear end is almost a red orange

3. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

knowing the history is important regardless of what my vision for the car is. Someone built it and thats what I wanted to know and where the car has been etc.

1927graham, mike bowling and Old-Soul like this.
  4. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

I dont have any news to report on Walt or his condition. Im hoping to start work on the deuce frame here soon and get the rear axle/ladder bar set up going.

5. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Neat find- I found a coupe thats similar- had a 394 olds un-chopped and started putting it back close to what it was- not the same as I don't have the original frame (can search my build thread under #stardestroyer) not sure what the frame was. Thought about going the deuce frame route but I really love the look of model a frames- that original frame is goofy but its COOL, especially with the bobbed fenders etc.

6. "Walter & his friends had a make shift drag strip on I-69 before it was completed on the southwest end of Fort Wayne."

Well he wasn't the only one. When I lived in Ashley, In. in 62' & 63' we were out there racing on I-69 too.

7. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

How awesome. Did you know of this coupe at all?

8. No I didn't. Lived in Ashley while working for my uncle. Bought my 41' Ford convertible in Ft. Wayne and used to cruise Gardners restaurant downtown. There were always a lot of hot rods and muscle cars around there on Saturday night. Fun times.

9. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

thats pretty awesome. There are a few now a days. Mostly street rods but not much in the ways of traditional hotrods

spurgeonforge likes this.
  10. mike bowling

mike bowling

I want to go back to the 60's!!! ( except when I got drafted)

That coupe is great! I understand your wanting to know it's history; now you're about to become part of it.
    You and "550coupe" can go head to head on I-69 some Sat night!
    ( just don't let Nurse Ratchett catch you)

11. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

FINALLY! someone gets my user name! Hell, my real name is Jeremy.

mike bowling likes this.
  12. Pete F

Pete F

Great car
    The only thing I would do is loose the front shocks and helper springs.
    They probably put the helper spring in the help support the weight of the Olds engine,I would pull the front spring and have a spring shop add a couple of leafs to the spring pack and than it will be fine.
    When I raced my 34 the problem wasn't coming off the line it was on deceleration the front couldn't support the nose weight so we added a couple of leafs and problem solved.
    You just need to determine the ride height before you pull the pack out so the shop can arch them properly.
    Have fun

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[​IMG]

13. mike bowling

mike bowling

Hell, Jeremy, that's gotta be one of my all time favorite movies!
    I loved it when they went sport fishing and Billy was with the hooker ( "I'm not sure I wanna do do do this Mac")
    Great little car you've got there treat her right!

14. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

Thank you guys. Im replacing the frame and front suspension bits. I dont feel its road worthy as is. I dismantled most everything on the frame. Just ready to pull the body off and fit it to the new frame

spurgeonforge likes this.
  15. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

I have an update but not much of one. Despite my trying to get a hold of Brian, the son of Walt I haven't had much luck since we spoke through Facebook messenger about a month ago. I reached out to the to Walt's wife Vickie today, she stated that Walt is home but still pretty sick so it will probably be a few months before he's up and around. I'm hopeful.

16. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

To update this thread, I havent heard from the family at all but Ive begun the build on the new frame for a roller. Im terrible at documenting my progress, and as a photographer that sounds pathetic. With limited shop time(not my shop) and just time in general my initial goal was to get everything rolling. Things needs to be taken apart and finish welded so dont flame me if you see something unfinished. haha, but feel free to flame me for not building it as it was! Im expecting to catch a lotta shit for it. I need to get the Buick drums machined and rebuild the front brakes etc etc. Time and money, a combo of things I dont always have. Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

I like it

Billy Bibbit likes this.
  18. Re: having to rebuild the Buick drums; Here's a tip from the guy from Buffalo Clutch that did mine. Don't have the drums turned unless absolutely necessary. The iron is high in nickel content and should wear forever. Mine were turned previously and one was .135" over and the other .030" which caused the brake shoes to not seat properly and required the removal of the linings and extra thick linings installed and then ground to match the o.d. of each drum.

19. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

Thank you for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. Yeah, I was from Kendallville, went to Gardners and Azars back then, fun times.
    1966.jpg

21. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

Glad to see you are making progress.

22. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

It feels real good

23. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

Broke the frame down for finish welding and to start painted more suspension pieces.

[​IMG]

Stogy, Tuck and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

man, I havent updated this thread in a while. So I'll do a bit of recap. The roller has been completed, minus the motor mounts, steering and brake lines and pedals. The 327 is in the hands of Tony at Ross Race Engines. Thank you Tuck for machining the Buick drums. The body was separated from the original and heavily modified frame a few weeks ago with some bracing on the bottom end. Due to the existing subrails being a little soft and missing in the rear.

Yesterday, we were able to put the body on the frame in order to figure out how much to bob the rear of the frame and just to get some perspective. Granted its not sitting flat yet but were getting there. I have no real idea how to anti channel a body but I have a good network of people throwing me advice. Next step is to replace the cross channels and work on replacing the rear subframe that was cut out. I'm sure I'm missing a few details but here is the most recent image I have taken. More to come. Thank you

[​IMG]

HunterYJ, spurgeonforge, Tuck and 2 others like this.
  25. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Ok now to cut the floor and lower that body down over that ugly deuce frame until the top of the tire lines up with the top of the wheel well... :p

It's looking GREAT man!- you really laid out all the ground work this thing is gonna come together quick.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    spurgeonforge and 1927graham like this.
  26. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

Glad to see your making headway. Looks awesome!

Jeremy Jalopies likes this.
  27. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

Thank you. There is no floor though! haha. The bottom of the doors is a little bowed. The driver side is about 1” beyond the frame, pass side is about 1 1/4” beyond but its obviously not sitting right, yet. Im hoping to get the rear down to the top of the wheel wells in due time. Im goal now it to get the cross channels in as they were and go from there.

Im stoked on it

28. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

Always late for the update! Things have been a little busy in the shop. As Ive mentioned before I really only get a chance to work on the car on Saturdays. Cross channels are in so I ordered the Steadfast rear subframe kit but before I can get that fitted I need to be sure the body is straight. The car was involved in some sort of accident so the drivers side rear quarter panel has some issues that weve been working on correcting before we get the kit welded in. Lets just say, a lot of repairs back there. In the mean time, weve done some little things. I finally have a solid firewall. The original was cut to fit the motor and I mocked up the grill. The firewall has been pie cut to accommodate the mini channel(this was yesterday)
    Friday I was in Detroit for the motorama and Tony at Ross Racing Engines brought my motor. SO SO good! I was blown away and its not yet complete. I knew he was the right person for the job. Here are a few images and a very weak update. More to come.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

Small update. Trying my hand at making floor plans now that the Steadfast kit is grafted to the existing subrails. Its been a big game of mock up and trial and error but Im happy with the results for my first time. I wanted to fit the tremec and a mock up small block in the car before I continue on the floors. Now that everything fits where I want it with minimal firewall trimming I will get the motor mounts in place and start fitting the steering bits. Plugging away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for reading

Stogy, Runnin shine and kidcampbell71 like this.