Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Physically lifting a V-8 engine with the proper tool ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by blazedogs, Dec 17, 2017.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

This tool I'm questioning is designed to pull engines,is used with the carb off and then bolted where the carb attaches,the same holes, directly to the intake manifold ( only)The manifold usually being aluminum and the engine being cast iron .The chain is attached to this bracket and then to the engine hoist for pulling. I see these pulling brackets sold all over and people use them on a regular basis.. With the weight of a cast iron engine many times with the transmission attached Is this bracket by itself enough to lift all this weight without pulling the threads in the aluminum intake and everything come crashing down Gene

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Yes, if you make sure the threads are in good condition, and the bolts have plenty of thread engagement (like over half an inch). I like to use grade 8 bolts but it's not required. Make sure there are tight fitting washers under the bolt heads.

I've been using a lifting plate for decades, no problems.

LOU WELLS and wraymen like this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Use it all the time on our circle track engine if we are not pulling the trans. All iron engine 422" SBC. Our dyno guy does the same. Our aluminum intake has studs and large washers and it's tight on the manifold. We bought it for $25.

4. blazedogs

blazedogs

5. blazedogs

blazedogs

Always respect your knowledge Jim, but your lifting all that weight with bolts attached to (Aluminum) with only 4 small bolts In my case a SBC with a 350 T/H ??

chryslerfan55 and dan c like this.
  6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Probably done day in and day out, but I'm with you Blazedogs, I wont do it on aluminum intakes.
    I'm sure it is just me but I just don't feel right, kind gut feeling you might say.
    Remembering that I am no expert is this regard...

jeffd1988 likes this.
  7. Budget36

Budget36

I've pulled many an engine and trans (several with Al intakes) with just the carb plate.

If you're really concerned about it, make some hooks to bolt to the intake manifold-utilizing the intake bolts..factory does a similar thing (GM), a 5.0 I pulled from a T-Bird had a similar deal on the exhaust.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  8. I do it but I run 5/16ths studs all the way down the intake bolt holes and use nuts and washers. Never had a problem.

pitman likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

I'm also an engineer, and yes I did the calculations when I made my engine plate.

The aluminum threads will be about as strong as the bolt, if you get enough thread engagement. 1/2" is plenty, more than 3/4" is overkill.

4 bolts, supporting about 800 lbs load.

bolts.jpg

threads.jpg

10. I check the threads in the intake, if they are good I don't hesitate one bit.
    If the treads are questionable I won't use the plate.
    If I do use the the plate I follow the same procedure and recommendation as Jim said.
    I've never had an issue

11. I never was comfortable with using one. $25 would buy beer! I attach a chain to the engine. don't cost me a penny.

12. Budget36

Budget36

Neither did the 3 or 4 I've made;)

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Believe it or not but when I was a lot younger I pulled a 305 from a late 70's malibu with a plate, factory aluminum manifold but that was when they only used 2 bolts to attach the carb. remember those? there were only 2 threaded holes in the manifold. I used pretty long bolts and washers and made sure they were tight. no problem

14. chargin03

chargin03

I have been using a plat for over 30 years.

15. Lots of times I pull engines using the front end loader or the rear bucket on my backhoe. And sometimes it can be quite jerkey. like your pulling a engine out of a junk vehicle and something hangs up. then you cut that offending piece loose with a torch. the engine will fly up and then back down. When you drop something and catch it squirrel's engineering facts become irrevalant.

16. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Been using the plate on aluminum intakes attached to big and small Chevies/Oldsmobile’s/ and Mopar’s since the 70’s.
    But what do I or any others know.
    Bolt on a chain if you feel safer.

17. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, I didn't design it to work with a backhoe.

At the junkyard, we used a really big nylon strap (about 3" wide and 3/4" thick) with a loop on each end, and the forklift. Worked great, especially when we forgot to take off the exhaust or something, it ripped it right out of there.

18. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Pulling an engine with an aluminum intake is not the same as hanging it and sleeping under it...

XXL__, 46international, dan c and 2 others like this.
  19. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I know lifting by an intake is common, but sure makes my butt pucker

jeffd1988, czuch, dan c and 1 other person like this.
  20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Must be nice to have your own personal "Superfund Site".:rolleyes:

21. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

What^^^???

Old wolf likes this.
  22. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Damn, chemistry defined at its finest . Sometimes I do have to spend a few minutes defining global warming . The weather records we are breaking were on record books from almost a hundred years ago . So I think our environment is ever changing , and seems to have swing from time to time . If the this rock we call home was never changing I dont think we as human beings would not be here today .

Old wolf and Hnstray like this.
  23. The plate is plenty strong and safe use it lots, only thing better but a bit harder to set up is an engine tiller.
    To the guys questioning its strength. Ever left a ground wire or fuel line connected when pulling an engine and all movement stops at the end of travel ?

What about aluminum body hydraulic pumps held together with 4 bolts ? What about Forklift masts?
    Work on a 65,000 lbs capacity Taylor lift and the mast is held on with 4 bolts .... big ass bolts bit only 4 of em! Hey squirrel your an engineer, what’s the shock load on those bolts at full capacity hitting some 12” pot holes in the yard !!! Remember a lift that can lift 65,000 lbs weighs about double

So yeah I’m definitely no engineer but 2-4 bolts into good threads in aluminum are more then plenary string and safe, pull it hard and fast just like your wire !!!!!

24. squirrel

squirrel

Shock loads are a bit more difficult to design around...

25. blazedogs

blazedogs

Thanks Jim

Just ordered one,had a few other things to order at the same time. Will use No. 8 bolts as you suggested ,thread them down tight against the manifold with a flat washer. Always appreciate the tips..... Gene

26. My wife tells me I could tear up steel balls with a rubber band. One time I was operating a big Leiberr track hoe digging sewer line in Little Rock. We where in town so couldn't blast with dynamite. So I beat around on that rock and we used a hyd hammer a lot. We finally got past the rock. So they brought a smaller 690 JD for me to use. and took the leiberr to another job. The first dipper full they attempted to dig the Boom fell off at the center hinge. The big 4 inch pin was cracked and barely holding. On inspection every hinge point had stress damage & hairline cracks. Wouldn't have been so bad but the machine was a rented unit. and was almost new and I broke the heck out of it in twenty days.

27. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I've used lift plates on aluminum manifolds since 1974. NEVER had a single failure or anything even remotely close to one. AMC, FE to SBF, SBC, BBC......doesn't matter. Lifts them all just fine. I always use studs in the manifold.
    SPark

28. Are you sure it's not Friday night?

Old wolf likes this.
  29. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

All the experience of lifting was probably using good old American made aluminum manifolds, lets see how the new era Chinese made ones hold up...

Truck64 and Old wolf like this.
  30. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I just reach over and grab them and pick them up........... SBC ain't that heavy...................

47ragtop, czuch and Beanscoot like this.