Register now to get rid of these ads!

239 Y-block or 302?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scummy13, Jan 26, 2010.

1. I would go with the 302.

2. Y-Block, Nothing would sound better. Why Go New Wave?

3. scummy13

scummy13

My plan is a custom with the panel truck but as I kinda live and work out in the boonies I need something reliable and not overly impossible to find parts for.

4. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

I hate the 302, but a 239s intake has smaller ports, and is pretty hard to find parts for. A 292 or even 312(if you can find one) is the way to go, SBF motors are the uglyest motor ever. I would put a sbc with y-block valve covers on it before I would use a 302, just my opinion

5. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Damn, why all the hate? Did one fall on top of your favorite puppy when you were little? There's nothing unusual about a SBF except for the long waterpump, and that is easily cured.

6. timothale

timothale

I picked up a 47 Ford flat bed 1 ton that the prev owner had started a Lincoln Y block swap. We have been talking about cutting it down for a different rat truck. I haven't checked out parts swaps but I heard that The Fe engines, 332 to 428, have similar dimensions and were made on the same automated machinery. the small block fords were made on the same machinery as the old ford Y blocks. With some work you can put a truck Y block forged crank into your SBF. Y block big trucks use good looking rams horn cast iron exhausts manifold that flow pretty good.

7. lugnutz9032

lugnutz9032
    from Palatka,Fl

SBF and Y-Block share the same bore spacing (4.380) but between journal size differances,balance issues,etc I'm not sure it would be worth it.With a relatively short stroke and decent material (nodular iron) the SBF already has a good crank.

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Y blocks were used down in south america untill the mid 70s,its strange seeing a 66 galaxie with on in it and in Argentina the Y block was made with windsor style heads and would love to get one up here.

9. Randy Gibson

Randy Gibson

will the original trans bolt up to the 302? Three speed w overdrive

10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

No, it's a different bolt pattern,youd need to use some sort of adapter plate

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. They can be made to fit, but it's not a bolt-in. Ford changed their bellhousing design in '65, going to a larger input bearing retainer and a wider trans bolt pattern. You can't use the early SBF '62-64 bell as the engine block is different. Some later bells can be re-drilled to the early pattern and an adaptor ring is needed on the input bearing cover to enlarge it's diameter to match the bell (matching the input cover is critical as that's what indexes the trans to the crankshaft centerline. Failure to do this will cause problems with the clutch and trans input bearing.

Ford did offer the OD trans up to '72 in selected vehicles with the correct pattern, but they're rare....

12. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

I think it's funny when people say the SBF is the ugliest motor. Take away where the distributor is located and you're left with what ever other motor has......two valve covers and an intake. I am a ford guy but I just don't really get all the hate towards the SBF. They can run like a scalded rabbit and from a financial standpoint aren't that much more expensive to build than a SBC. The only reason the SBC is so affordable is due to the reason they are the most popular cookie cutter motor which means the demand for parts is high and that's what drives the prices down with every performance company making performance upgrades for them. And yes, I have both.....but my fords are in fords and my chevy is in a chevy.

13. Holy Mother of 7 year old dead thread. LOL

14. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

At least he found the search function haha

hotroddon likes this.
  15. frdsuperduty

frdsuperduty
    from Lewes De

302 with y block valve covers....shhh....

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.