Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Two-piece flathead alloy head & odd taillight id please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34 GAZ, Jan 3, 2009.

1. I have just this one :( two-piece Ford Flathead V8 alloy head and would like some background info. Both pieces are 7/8th thick and the fins are a whopping 3/4 inch high. Probably made in Australia as thats where it was found. ( Renmark,South Australia ) 20 years ago. Also i would like an ID of this U.S.taillight. I spent about an hour searching carnut.com with no result. Thanks,

Attached Files:

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

'42-'48 Buick tail

3. Heads are belshore(Ron Belshore)-Commonly confused as being waggot produced as Belshore worked on engines with waggot from Sydney-however it was the cam grinding waggott not the head\manifold (yep there was 2 waggott workshops down the road from one another) He made both boat and car heads in nsw-the 2 piece heads are currently reproduced in newcastle nsw-ron built flathead powered race boats-fast ones, keep a look out as the Makisar special(a record setting race boat) was last seen in S.a racing with these heads and an hilborn injection setup running a waggott cam etc- dissappeared since-or have you found it?-Grant

4. HasonJinkle

HasonJinkle

That's pretty interesting- seen plenty of two-piece intakes, but can't recall any two-piece heads before. Now that I think about it, I'm sort of surprised there weren't many?

Grant- got any more info on the repop heads? Sounds interesting.

hinky

5. Heya Hinky-i have more stuff somewhere-i got the info when i bought the repopped heads-a letter with instructions for the heads also detailing Belshores history,the boat details,times etc.the fella with the heads said he had an early 2x2 mould by belshore as well as cams and cam blanks etc by waggott(all flathead stuff)i never saw the cam stuff etc but have no reason to doubt the guy-will look for the letter but i got no clue were i put it-cheers Grant

6. Nope, i have,nt found the boat. This head was bought from a couple of Scottish guys who had a small wrecking yard in Renmark South Australia. That was 20 years ago. The other head was there as well but the guy refused to part it. He wanted to keep one for himself.

302GMC, thanks for the taillight ID.

7. i`m a little foggy on details but from memory the boat was one of several killer fast boats built by ron-it burnt from memory leaving the engine-another boat same setup but twin carbed was found in ballarat a few years ago-i`m aware of 4 kinds of heads by belshore for flathead v8 these(yours) the ones i had had a water rail outlets on top -still 2 piece and a one piece type with centre outlets on top38-42 type and 8ba as well all rear as rockin horse shit will post more when\if i find that letter grant

8. Well i,ve been searching google and found lots of speed boat clubs in Australia but no info on Belshore or flathead speedboats for that matter.

9. dont know if this`ll help-Makisar special,first raced on the hawkesbury river(nsw)late 40`s before being raced in s.a,making`n`breaking records-and destroyed at some point-i have seen a few engines supposed to be built by belshore\waggott usualy speedway or boat engines-most people havent heard of ron-i learned about him from a few sources chasing aussie flathead parts and always thought they were made by waggott before hand,i just reckon that ron should be remembered like our other aussie flathead pioneers-kleinig-waggott-lundberg and sons-sj brown-tawco-repco-etc. i think having two different waggott machine shops literally down the road from one another confused people-(on or near parramata road)i always thought there was only one mob until18 odd months ago,maybe see if the shop is still existant?weve lost enough of this history already-grant(looking for that letter)

10. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

[​IMG]

I am the guy from Newcastle making the two piece heads. See my website for more obscure goodies.
    If you use this link it takes you straight into the particular items we are discussing.

http://www.brightworksmetalpolishing.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=431&g2_enterAlbum=1

Maksikar had twin four cyl distributers!I havent reproduced the manifold of Rons ,as it is a single plane type,not the best on the street.His son,who now runs the foundry,said the boat was sold to Qld.The heads always overheated,from bad internal ribbing design.this has been remedied,with some external mods as well.

11. So is it Makisar or Maksikar ? Anyhow now i know where this Flathead twin ignition came from. :)

Attached Files:

12. pooch2

pooch2
    from Australia

gday 34 GAZ, there is a guy in Nowra NSW Australia that makes and has 2 piece heads for sale.

BTW, what are you doing with a pic of an FJ holden in your avatar, is that over there in Holland?

13. my friend just put these on his engine
    made in the USA, two pieces, two plugs and dual dist. it runs very well. I am on the road now for two months so I do not know who he bought them from, but I could find out if needed
    100_4560.JPG

Asphalt Demon likes this.
  14. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Ron Belshore was a member of the st George motor boat club in Sydney if that helps,
    I have owned a set of these heads and know of at least three other original sets and have seen three of the twin distributor setups, I know we're two of the dizzy setups are, the third was stolen,a friend in qld has the nicest set of special heads I have seen so far, I have an original matching intake manifold. I believe but am not sure the dual fuel pump stands are tawco. Johnny IMG_0816.JPG IMG_0817.JPG IMG_0820.JPG IMG_0826.JPG

15. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

I have a set of these Special heads that I got probably 20 years ago. They are NOS and never been used. I had no idea that so few sets of these heads were ever produced. It is interesting to finally find out who made them and find out the history on these heads.

16. 28rp

28rp

Hey Stroked 36-have a look at mine-posted on other threads on here-I won , t put them up again-people will be sick of seeing them by now-would be happy if some one could i.d. them for me. They have a large J cast into the water neck if they can be id from that........

cheers

Ash

17. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Attached Files:

18. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

19. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

20. 28rp

28rp

Hey Asphalt Demon-here they are....... Ashleys 48 repairs 041.JPG Ashleys 48 repairs 043.JPG Ashleys 48 repairs 045.JPG Ashleys 48 repairs 046.JPG Ashleys 48 repairs 043.JPG

21. Nah, not here, that,s me washing dads car about 58 years ago.

22. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

28rp very interesting,at a quick glance and no offence ment, they look like a crude copy of a mass produced head , made in two bits to make it easier on the guy that had a crack. Looking at the fin placement on the head it resembles early Fenton style? Just thinking out loud

23. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Have you looked into any early English special type cars ? Jowett,javelin they may have run flathead v8 like allard did

24. 28rp

28rp

No offence taken A.D-I bought ,em pretty cheaply,so I ,m not worried if they are copies of something else-would have thought though that setting up to make them in two pieces would have been fairly technical for an amateur.I know nothing about foundry & casting stuff so couldn,t say.
    English specials-I think the Allard ,s had the Allard name cast in block letters in between fins. I remember looking at an Allard in an Auto Museum in Port Elliott S.A. a few years ago and I think that,s what I saw under the hood-I was looking for a set of Arduns!
    Jowett Javelins were of flat four design-not sure if any one ever put a Flattie in one that Ive ever read about.
    I am happy just to own them-they will look good hanging on my shop wall-BUT-I would like to know who made em!