Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help. Flathead generator pulley question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ATv8, Dec 14, 2017.

1. ATv8

ATv8

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for some technical help regarding OEM Ford part numbers, types of vehicles and years that a double sheave, 2 brush, threaded on type generator pulley would have been used. Either with fan mounting provisions or without. I do know that they exist because I've seen them a handful of times over he last 30 years of building early Fords.

I do not currently have a copy of the big green book. I've searched the forums too on this topic without much luck. I've been looking for one of these 2 belt pulleys for awhile now for my AV8 roadster project. Any technical help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Nick

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have a generator it might be simpler to look for a sheeve/pulley that fits it that has the desire two belt setup.

3. ATv8

ATv8

Thanks Mr48chev,

I should have mentioned that I do already have a 1947 2 brush generator that I've rebuilt and converted to 12V.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Figured you might. Looking at photos I'm thinking that generator uses a pulley that threads on the armature and that is going to cut the possibilities down some.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017

5. ATv8

ATv8

Yup, you're correct. It is a thread on pulley type armature in the generator. The water pumps and crankshaft on the engine are also wide belt pulleys. The engine is a 59A. Just need to find a 2 sheave wide belt thread on pulley that will work on the generator. I've seen this type of pulley a few times over the years in person, so they do exist. It would be great to know what the part numbers are and or years/models they came on.

6. 42merc

42merc

Originally the '37 to '41 Ford big trucks used the 2 belt system.
    '37-'39 were 3 brush generators & used a keyed pulley.
    '40-'41 were 2 brush generators & used a threaded pulley.
    Keyed pulleys seem to be more common, but threaded pulleys do show up.
    Check with the vintage Ford dealers that handle original old Ford parts, the repop dealers won't stock this item.
    A possible part number 2GAS10130B. If you have a GREEN BOOK check it out.

stillrunners likes this.
  7. ATv8

ATv8

Thanks 42Merc, I will check that out!

8. rusty valley

rusty valley

why do you want two belts?

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He somewhat explained it in post 5. Most likely one of those can't get there from here without it deals.

10. ATv8

ATv8

Here is a photo of the type of 2 sheave pulleys that I'm searching for information on. This one has the provisions to mount a stock fan. This pulley is in fact a thread on type. This picture was posted here on the forum in 2007 by fellow member Gashog for his build. I've reached out to him in hopes he might still be using on his hotrod and could see if the part number is still legible on it.

I will try to answer the question why I want to run two belts on the generator but first let me give you a brief run down on the project it is needed for.

(Caution, this is long winded)

The latest project I've been building is a 1929 model A roadster with a 59a merc flathead. I'm using a late 1929 frame that now has a narrowed original 32 k-member installed. The wishbone and dropped heavy front axle are also original 1932. The goal on this latest AV8 project for me has been to not modify the firewall or change the original location of the radiator while still having plenty of space between the back of the engine and firewall, with enough room up front to run a mechanically driven fan. The last constraint I'm adding into the project is keeping the generator mounted in the stock location on the intake manifold.

So far everything has been placed to achieve all of this successfully. Currently I have multiple options for getting a cooling fan to work up front in the tight space. Right now I have enough room between the radiator and the correct 4 blade mid 1930's fan mounted to the generator off the stock intake location. All done right? Nope. The problem is 1928-1929 radiators are short compared to 1930-1931 and 1932 radiators. This means to get enough fan blade tip rotational clearance away from the upper hose connections with the fan mounted up this high position, I would need to trim the fan diameter down from roughly 15" to roughly 12". I could call this good enough for who it's for and be done but I don't care for the idea of running such a small diameter fan.

Now the easiest option would be an electric fan but this is a traditional build dang it!

So here's what I'm trying to do with the double sheave generator pulley. There looks like there might be a chance to use the the second outer generator pulley sheave to drive the stock diameter fan mounted on a compact custom made bearing shaft mount using the original two bolt adjustment location on a 59a style generator mount. Mounted just like the original oil filled 59a fan hubs where but this would be a compact sealed bearing version that is driven off the generator instead of the crankshaft.

Many folks have run into this same cooling fan clearance issues over the years while building AV8's and they have solved these problems successfully a number of ways.

My goal is to try to see if I can come up with another option to solve this common problem, and if successful, share that with others who may find it helpful for their builds.

Thanks for you time and help

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  11. ATv8

ATv8

42Merc,

Thank you! That looks exactly like the pulley I'm after.

12. 42merc

42merc

ATV8
    The part number I provided is but one of several that will work.
    They vary by diameter, each with a different number. Six cylinder Ford generator pulleys from '41 will work also.

13. rusty valley

rusty valley

14. I want to say that the pulley you are looking for fits the 1939 Ford "standard" but it has been a lot of years since I needed one. You are probably also going to want a '37 (and up a few years) type manifold to place the generator low (PM me if you need one).

Charlie Stephens

15. house of fab

house of fab
    from ashland va

16. ATv8

ATv8

17. ATv8

ATv8

Thanks Charlie, will do!

18. ATv8

ATv8