Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods T Bucket Interiors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, Aug 12, 2017.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yup. Decided against it.

K13 likes this.
  2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Good decision. Another good decision is save up a few bucks and have a professional do the seats. Folded corners sill look amateurish. I saved and had somebody good do mine and am glad I did.

Rebel

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I AM an amateur.:D And the folds are barely visible behind the brackets. Congrats on saving to have YOURS done. "I" am doing MINE, MYSELF. Because in the very end, beyond all other things, including this web site, "I" am the one "I" am trying to please.

My car. My build. My rules. Hit it, Mick!

4. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Sorry Fred but as long as you post I will give my best advice. Wether you take it or not is up to you but when you doubt me remember.

Love you man Rebel

Gary project finished.jpg

dana barlow and Jiminy like this.
  5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You're right. My compliance is optional.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  6. Seat looks good, Fred.

tfeverfred likes this.
  7. upspirate

upspirate

Fred,As another way to attaching your panels, I came across this video last night:

This company sells sewing supplies and has videos for marine & canvas DIY people.Good people that Ive been buying stuff from for years
    PS, not trying to tell you what to do, just giving some ways to do things and sources for instruction and supplies!!

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  8. Blake 27

Blake 27

I think someone needs a nap!

tfeverfred and lurker mick like this.
  9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The Sailrite website has a ton of neat stuff...thanks for posting that. The BeauClip system is cheap enough ($7.00 for 10 sets) and would be great for a dash panel.

upspirate likes this.
  10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yup. Came back and had to delete all that. Feeling better now.

Dick Stevens and K13 like this.
  11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks. That's a good option and worth considering.

upspirate likes this.
  12. Lol I got a good laugh out of it and totally understood where you were coming from.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tfeverfred likes this.
  13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks. I wish I had a way to test it.:D But I'm sure it'll be okay.

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Darn :D I missed the fun :D

15. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Fred
    Look what a professional can do for you.

I don't understand why you don't take my advice.

Luv yu man
    Rebel

Fuck Me

IMG_1204.jpg

brEad likes this.
  16. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Early Ivo T. the windshield isn't even chromed.

IMG_1206.jpg

Dannerr and Paul like this.
  17. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I AM an amateur.:D And the folds are barely visible behind the brackets. Congrats on saving to have YOURS done. "I" am doing MINE, MYSELF. Because in the very end, beyond all other things, including this web site, "I" am the one "I" am trying to please.

You got it. It's amazing what you can and can't see when you are driving your car and looking our YOUR windshield.....Right on Fred

loudbang and tfeverfred like this.
  18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Why? Because, if you'll notice, I've committed to and invested in doing the interior myself. It's posted in two threads. So, either you're not paying attention or you're making a very lame attempt at humor. I mean, in the pic you posted (that I deleted from your quote), those seats HAVE to be a joke, right? What the hell?

I don't mind suggestions. Shit, I welcome them. But you seem to be hell bent on me building my car your way. And that....... will never happen. If I'm wrong, say so. Now, here's the deal. I'm doing my own interior. If I screw it up, I'll start over and keep trying, until my only recourse is to pay to have it done. But that won't happen either.

But wait, check THIS out. A "REAL" Hot Rod would have a minimal interior. The idea was to strip shit off, not add it on. So, no interior, except for seats, would actually be the hot ticket. And you know what? The more I write it and think about it, the more I'm headed down that path.

But, here's a thought I had today. The hell with trying to cover the interior corners and the back panel. They are pretty much out of view, unless the seat is removed. Maybe I'll just leave them alone. Paint them in truck bedliner and be done with it. I'll have the interior panels upholstered from the front, to the start of the curves of the body. Or just attach the vinyl directly to the body on the curves and the back. With everything black, no one would notice and the people who did, wouldn't really matter to me.

Or....... my favorite, paint the entire interior in bedliner! Shit! A trip to the parts store and my interior would be done tomorrow! Yea........ stripped down and all utilitarian. The way these fucking cars were meant to be. No worries about rips or tears. Getting caught in the rain, wouldn't matter at all. My first roadster ended up thar way and I LOVED it!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Morrisman, Blue One and Dooley like this.
  19. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Yes Fred that high back blue T was a joke. I thought it was so outrageous you would get it right away. It was my way of saying how outrageous I can be. Why would anybody even think that car is acceptable. I see bucket after bucket like that and worse. I just don't know what they are thinking. Do they even look at what they are putting together. Why don't/can't they see it?

Actually when I was advocating cafeteria chairs and other bucket seats I was going to (if I didn't) suggest you just paint the inside of the body black. I know you can't see it though. All black with red cafeteria chairs and a dark red engine. Black Dalia. Sorry I can't help myself.

Please Fred whatever you think of me (and I know I can be an ass) don't build an ugly T on the deuglifing T thread.

Really don't pay any attention to me. Please do not I just can't help myself.

Rebel

Fred you are not obligated to answer this. Just let it go.

raven likes this.
  20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nothing like a good nights sleep, to get the ideas a chance to gel. So, I'm leaning towards......

"But, here's a thought I had today. The hell with trying to cover the interior corners and the back panel. They are pretty much out of view, unless the seat is removed. Maybe I'll just leave them alone. Paint them in truck bedliner and be done with it. I'll have the interior panels upholstered from the front, to the start of the curves of the body. Or just attach the vinyl directly to the body on the curves and the back. With everything black, no one would notice and the people who did, wouldn't really matter to me."

Which will leave me the option of doing the back piece at a later time, if I choose to. But I kinda doubt I will. Like I stated earlier, a "REAL" Hot Rod would have a minimal interior. All that puffy, soft stuff was for show cars and "Street Rods". That was also the way "Miss Behavin'" was done and I loved the low maintenance and stripped down look.

So, once I get the rest of my supplies, I'll get after it and post my progress.;)

On a side note.... if I didn't have a door, I would have used bed liner from the beginning.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Okay, looks like the seating issue has been beat to death. Thanks to yours truly.:rolleyes: So, let's talk steering wheels. Earlier, I thought I would go with this one from Lime Works, 15" dia, no dish and leather wrapped, but it was $200 and now it's out of stock:
    limeworkwheel.jpg

So, I next thought about the Speedway version of the same steering wheel. 15" dia, stainless steel spokes and a 2" dish. $90.
    speedwaywheel.jpg
    Next, is another Speedway wheel. 13" dia, 3 spoke with a 3.5" dish, chrome spokes and it's $35.
    speedwaywheel3.jpg

And finally, the old standby, the classic Grant 3 spoke. 13" dia, chrome spokes with holes and a 3.75" dish. $35.
    speedwaywheel2.jpg

But let's not forget the Mooneye's selection of metal flake steering wheels. 15" dia, 3 spoke, 3.5" dish, finger grips and timeless style. $125.
    mooneyeswheels.jpg

Now, I've heard that a larger diameter steering wheel is easier to steer, in a car with manual steering. Not sure how true that is, but from a leverage standpoint, it makes sense. I have room for 15", but it may look out of scale in a small interior, like a T Bucket. My old car had a 13" vintage Superior 500 steering wheel and I remember liking it, but I didn't try a larger steering wheel.

As of now, I'm going with the 15" 4 spoke from Speedway because I like the competition look, the stainless steel spokes and of course, the price. Let's see what you guys have or want and why!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  22. Good job on the seat! I did my interior my self also, and it's not perfect. One guy pointed out a flaw at a show this year.
    I asked him how to fix it cause this was my first upolstery job.

That shut him up in a hurry lol

Maybe cut some cardboard steering wheels at different diameters to see how big you want it, and how much room you have

Full Kustom, drunk mobile posting

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Here's my steering wheel Fred, its a little old (I'm 63 and I've had it since I was 17 :D)
    Its an old Grant 3 spoke wheel and its 14",
    It's well worn, covered in foam and has a rare option for Grant foam covered wheels now it seems, it has finger grip indentations.

It may not fit into my build completely, but it's not going anywhere else.
    I have had it in about 6 different vehicles over the years and my son used it in a 71 GMC truck we built for him.

When I drive the RPU and grip that wheel my youth and memories will join me for the experience. :cool:
    I don't think I could replace that with a new shiny wheel.

Larry
    st 4.jpg

loudbang, OFT and tfeverfred like this.
  24. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

The black Grant is classic
    I have the red moneyes flake steering wheel on mine now with my then new and now faded seat covers

Attached Files:

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's a classic and a great reason for using it.

Blue One likes this.
  26. atch

atch

Since you asked:

I'd love to have the Lime Works 15" 4-spoke in my T when I get to that point. HOWEVER; I don't see me ever having the financial resources to pull that off so my next choice is the 13" 3-spoke wheel from Speedway. I like the looks of the spokes without holes. I like the holes, too, but just not as much as non-holed.

I've poured over steering wheel choices on the internet recently to see what I'll be using and that's my choice right now.

I'll be watching to see what you choose and to see pix of it installed.

loudbang likes this.
  27. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Now you see it...now you don't Speedway racing wheel $49.95. Comes it 13" no dish and 15" 2ith 2-1/2" dish.
    IMG_0604.JPG

Attached Files:

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Look there’s a pillow in the middle so you can take a nap :D

loudbang and OFT like this.
  29. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I've had several holed chrome spoke wheels over the years, so when I decided to replace the ragged one on my T I went with one from Speedway.
    It LOOKS the part, so I'm fine with that, but the grip is hard plastic and not the soft foam I expected!
    I've been using it for 2 years and I'm still disappointed in how it feels.
    It's holding up really well though and looks as good as the day I put it on the car.

I guess I'm torn between expectations and practicality...LoL
    You might want to dig a bit deeper and find out just how a wheel is constructed, before you assume it's what you think it is. I know I should have!

loudbang likes this.
  30. wsdad

wsdad

I think the truck bed liner is a good idea because it looks good and is tough, unless you are shooting for a particular era, then it would ruin "the look."

Maybe paint would fit the time period better?

If you've gone over this before, please ignore me. Although I've read, with interest, many posts about your car, I haven't read them all. So I don't know which direction you're taking it.

It's obviously a good looking, well built car anyone would be proud of.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    tfeverfred likes this.