Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical such thing as a 392 hemi industrial?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemi rodder, Jul 10, 2014.

1. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

There is one in Humphrey, Nebraska at my buddies shop. An old irrigation setup. They exist.

2. George

George

a buddy once saw Big Foot.....

30dodgeboy and hendelec like this.
  3. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

1. Stop the madness! Find a young, aspiring pin striper in your area. Have him letter the covers, it'll be real and (if he's good) superb! You could start the next Von Dutch...(look at that other guy, 'von Pancho'? Remember where he started? Can't remember...Campbell??)

A customer took me to look at a Chrysler 392 Industrial. $200, and it ran good. Valve covers were there, spark plug covers, original 'ceramics' on the spark plugs, white. The numbers said "392XXXXX" at the front valley cover.
    I said, "Buy it." He did. All the way back to the shop, and "he's all..."(colloquialism from the '80s) "Wow, it's gotta have adjustable rockers and solids, right?"
    I say it shouldn't. He says I'm cynical, 'cuz I'm 40. (then)

We get to the shop, he's all over me to find out 'what'. I buzz a valve cover off.
    (3/8" drive speed handle, to keep it 'right'...he's in a hurry, but 392s are too nice to heat up with air tools!)
    Ho boy, no adjustable rockers..."just a 392" (more than enough!)
    The guy erupts in all kinds of magma...(hot stuff outa the top of a volcano) Really goes off, coulda gagged me with a spoon... Dude!
    I quieted him down with two Ben Franklins, he said "Don't you feel some remorse from that seller? Don't you wanna get even???
    I said, "Yeah...Buyer's remorse...I feel it"
    I lowered the new addition to my Hemi corral into its rolling cart.
    Drove him home. (same old F100, 2 SBCs back...)

powrshftr and Blues4U like this.
  5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Some of the old tugs at the airline still had 331 long bellhousing hemi's in them. I found the part number in the illustrated parts catalog. Always wanted to, but never had the nerve to order one.

6. George

George

A 392 bought over the counter & diverted to other uses....

7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Not to hijack the thread but the better half and I went to the intrepid musem in n.y.c., on deck is a sr71 blackbird the starter motor for the plane is a buick nailhead, Thats an industrial motor in my book.

8. Friend of mine has worked in the propane retail business for 30 years. Mostly, he sets up tanks and removes them. At one time there were a lot of Hemi powered well pumps in use here. All of them have been replaced with electric motors. My friend occasionally brings in one that has been out in a barn for years. Occasionally he will get a 331 but most are 354. Never brought in a 392. Doesn't mean they never made one.

9. As has been said there were no 392 industrials. Most of the hemis I have are 354 industrials. Ind56 are 331 and Ind56A are 354

10. George

George

So? Not talking about Buicks, or other Ind engines including Big Block Mopar. There's lots of ind engines out there made specifically for the purpose, but were talking about 392 made for industrial use, of witch there were none made.

11. Family vacation to Manitou Springs back in 2000, and we ventured up into the mountains to an abandoned gold mine that was being used for tours. The elevator to take visitors down into the mine was powered by an industrial hemi. Just never know where they'll turn up.

12. Deuces

Deuces

Big bump!!!!! :D

13. 2935ford

2935ford

Here's one for sale and the guy states it as a 392!
    [​IMG]

14. All early Hemi's are 392s and all sbc's are 'Vette motors. :confused::rolleyes:

30dodgeboy, mr57, v8deuce and 4 others like this.
  15. a smilar question on these
    I have a heavy iron bell that came with some parts for a 55 331
    a manual bellhousing with the clutch fork opening on the passenger side plus
    a manual flywheel that weighs a ton and starter
    are these pieces from an industrial application and are they worth saving for a rod project

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Don't look like a '92. Looks like a 331. Maybe the industrial bellhousing is different.

17. I kept those same parts off an industrial motor to use in a running test stand.
    That's some HEAVY stuff and has no business in a car.

anthony myrick likes this.
  18. Maybe it's the same motor as the OP was trying to buy back in 2014. o_OHe is in New Brunswick as well.

19. 2935ford

2935ford

^^^^
    Would not surprise me as I imagine there are few of these in this neck of the woods!

20. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

No their were no 392

in industrials .I have about 3 sets of in my shop now and they all came off 354s.

21. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

22. George

George

30dodgeboy likes this.
  23. 73RR

73RR

...unless someone needs to change the center of gravity of a lsr rig....?:confused: yeah, definately heavy.

24. gatz

gatz

regarding
    mgtstumpy 's post

[​IMG]

now I'm confused.....
    These are pix from the 331 Industrial that I have. I measured the bore (.030 over) and the stroke.
    Obviously the heads on mine have water ports; whereas the illustration above says that 331s don't.
    Is it possible they put 354 heads on some Industrial versions?
    331 on Stand_2.JPG

And this is the water pump that came with the engine.
    331 Stk Water Pump_1.JPG

Secondly, the illustration above notes that Marine/Industrial blocks have lower water passages, whereas mine don't. The water pump didn't have ports there either. 331 engine front.JPG

25. Yes 354 heads will go onto a 331 block.
    1955 331 heads have water ports.
    What year is your stuff?

26. I ended up with an odd 54 331, it has the early style heads without the water outlet but doesn't have the long bell
    plan on tearing down soon but if I use it I may use an extra set of 55up heads I have
    are these older heads decent?

27. 54 was a switch year on the long bell, early 54 (aka 53 leftovers) have the long bell. The 54 heads are supposed to be the same port and flow of the 55 heads but no water out lets. 54 intake is the only 4 bbl with thermostat housing.

30dodgeboy likes this.
  28. Thanks

29. gatz

gatz

From available information collected on the 'net, the block numbers 1619629 & E175
    indicate a 331 and that it was cast May 17, 1955

331 HEMI AB 1619629-2 E175 W (May 17 1955).JPG

so, that would explain the water ports.
    Thanks

30. @ Gatz:

Many industrial engines used the same timing cover and water pump as passenger car engines that were being produced at the same time. There are countless myths and tons of bad info out there regarding "rules" of what was built, including the PAW catalog screenshot posted above. I own a few examples of what you have pictured above - a block casting that was intended to be machined to a 354 (3-15/16" bore), but only bored to 331 size (3-13/16"). Keep in mind castings made in mid-1955 were intended for 1956 car model year production. Industrial engine production piggy-backed on what parts were available at that specific time. I have a 1957 331 industrial that uses the same water pump, water crossover, oil pump, etc as a 57 392 engine (which was a car engine, never available from Chrysler as a marine, industrial, or truck engine) would have used. In other words, not all 331s were built one specific way, 354s built another way, etc. The other thing to keep in mind is that over 60 years things can get changed around, so one needs to look at unmolested originals before drawing any conclusions.

Hnstray likes this.