Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Hydro-dipping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Dec 13, 2017.

1. LostBoy

LostBoy

Im pretty sure Swirl painting and hydro dipping are two different processes.Swirl painting is liquid paint on top of water. The hydro dipping is some sort of film.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

loudbang likes this.
  2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Swirl painting and dipping are totally different yes.
    Though swirl painting takes no special tank with heated water and purchasing the dip film. Yes a dip is probably the way to go for something like the wood grain or carbon fiber look (though theres tricks to spraying it too)
    Both have their place. Since the OP is on a budget and seems to be the DIY kind I thought id suggest it.
    Pouring the paint or spraying it will also give different results. play with it. experiment then go. I have fun with it

loudbang and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  3. town sedan

town sedan

I remember the model car magazine article nrgwizard mentioned above. Never tried it, but thought it was a great idea when I was around 8 or so years old.
    -Dave

loudbang likes this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only thing prohibitive for a DIY'r is the size of the printer needed to print the film. Other than that it is not rocket science.

My son works for me as a mortgage loan officer, to promote himself at Realtor offices (so he doesn't walk in empty handed) he bought a special printer cartridge and some edible film. He loads his business card image in the computer, prints it on the film and after he bakes the cookies and ices them, he applies the film that melts to the icing and becomes a permanent, photo perfect image, edible part of the cookie. Same sort of idea. Aint tech neat?

loudbang likes this.
  5. There are tons of places online where you can buy pre-printed film. I am surprised there don't seem to be many that offer to print custom stuff probably requires a pretty high end expensive printer to do it well.

loudbang likes this.
  6. noboD

noboD

Contact U-Grain-It in Florida. Jay-Dee, on here, owns it and this sounds like something he would be playing with. Haven't talked to him at Hershey for a year or two but he loves this kind of stuff.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Digressing, I know from having my 46 Olds steering wheel pearled by a local business (No longer in operation) that 3M branded coloured sheets were used as I had to select colours to match my car. I wasn't there to see how it was done however this was the second wheel that was done by them even though I could have used Pearlcraft, it would have cost a lot more. I know that the result was worth the $$$ and can only speculate that it was a commercially available product and this is what Pearlcraft use, if not that then something similar.
    Photo0375.jpg

8. ^^^^^That's beautiful^^^

Just Gary and loudbang like this.
  9. billsat

billsat

I had a company in Raleigh NC to hydro dip the garnish moldings in my '40 Ford. It wasn't cheap but the results were outstanding. I had another Ford guy who has a '39 with the factory wood finish dash tell me that it was a $5 option in '39. I don't know if that's true or not, but I spent $400 having mine done!

warhorseracing and loudbang like this.
  10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Thank you. I can't wait to pull my finger out and finish this damn car! Sadly the fellow who did this work passed away due to the big 'C' and will be sadly missed. Soooooooooo long in the making now. There is light at the end of the tunnel. In saying that, Pearlcraft do beautiful work and I'm surprised that there aren't too many doing it ;) Here are a couple of others that I bookmarked.
    http://qualityrestorations.com/
    http://www.steeringwheelbob.com/gallery

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  11. 4woody

4woody

I had the dash in my '38 Chrysler done. Been on the road 4 years now and holding up fine. 021.JPG

12. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Stumpy;
    Too bad you couldn't get info on the process before t he guy passed. Anyone stepped up to take over, or could let you see his books n tools? Might be worth a try?
    Marcus...

loudbang likes this.
  13. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Billy;
    They've been doing that on cakes n ice cream for years, although I don't know how, as I wasn't ever interested in it. At least around here, the images are a bit fuzzy, & less than really nice.
    Marcus...

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As long as they taste good, I'm good!

15. Here's a cake my daughter did for our car clubs 60th anniversary using the the edible printer paper.

Mick
    DSCF0951 (Copy).JPG

16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My wheel was the last he did as a favour and sadly no one took over where he left off.
    I had no idea at the time how sick he was at the time as he kept it private apart from saying that he was winding down his business.
    I never thought to ask what the process was or see how it was done but remember that the film came in a thick roll and was wrapped around the wheel until it was covered. The process is now a closely guarded secret by those in the know and believe that the product would something that is most likely commercially available to anyone as it would have multiple other industrial or other uses.

17. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

loudbang likes this.
  18. You have to buy a shit ton from these guys. Like 500kg per order by the looks of it. Similar products are available as drum wrap (as in the instrument) but most of what I have seen is a lot thicker like 21mils compared to the .5 to 1 mil stuff Pearlcraft uses. There must be some source for the thinner material in smaller quantities out there.

loudbang likes this.
  19. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Oh yeah i see that now, guess it's back to a washtub full of water and paint for me.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I'd imagine if the clear coat on a heavily used or heavy wear item such as a steering wheel or handle burned through, you'd have to re-clear to keep from burning through the under finish.

Wonder how this holds up to heat, UV exposure and weather such as engine components, wheels, etc?

Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  21. patterg2003

patterg2003

Here is a thought on the pearlescent marble that may be experimented with using the hydrographic dipping. There are pearl additives that could be added to a base that floats. There is three shades of white so swirling the shades of white pearl may create a pattern similar to mother of pearl. Clearcoat with urethane to give it a durable finish.
    https://www.jacquardproducts.com/pearl-ex-pigments.html
    It may be just tinting white pearl paint as well to get the variations.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder the same thing, I see intakes and blower cases done and have no idea how the finish can possibly last under use and duress.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

A friend of mine done this for awhile. When I had my dragster he done a bunch of stuff on it in carbon fiber. You can get all kinds of stuff for this off the internet, any design you can imagine. You got to heat and filter the water, got to have a pump to circulate it. I know it was a real pain. I loved the stuff, you could take valve covers that looked like crap and make them look new, he done several wheels. I always wondered if you could find a used hot tub or something similar and convert it. He went to powder coating now, has a huge oven and all kinds of coatings. I really liked the hydro dipping myself.

loudbang likes this.
  24. I think I've finally found what to do with the steel rim of my 40 Buick wheel. Swirl! Now I just gotta decide on colors. 34dashNwheel.JPG

25. milo1303s

milo1303s