Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Nitrous on a Flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy2car, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Guys, I posted this a while ago on the Barn and several suggested trying here

I wonder if anyone has ever successfully used NO2 on a Flathead?
    It seems to me that it could be effectively hidden under the manifold, using the feed lines coming thru the back of the block.
    This is just an inquiry, as I have no real knowledge of this stuff at all.
    Maybe if I were younger, I'd give it a try with an old (not so good block) & see what happens, just as an experiment.
    Also, seems that it would create quite a "sleeper" of a Flathead, if it could be made to work. An easy way to add 100 hp or more?
    As I recall, someone mentioned long ago, that the flathead design wasn't so good to use the Nitrious on?
    No super charger showing...
    Any knowledge out there in Hamb-land?
    Thanks
    Jim

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I know very little about the flathead but I am thinking the stock bottom end might be a little weak. It would probably have to be a pretty small shot of nitrous. I'll be watching to see what those that know have to say. Send a PM to Bored and Stroked here on the HAMB. He should be able to offer an educated opinion or send you some that has one on this subject.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can indeed add 100hp to a flathead, for about 2-seconds.

If you want to do it for longer than that, you will need $7k+.

4. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

If I recall what I read in the book "forced induction performance tuning" nitrous oxide can increase the power about 70% - on an engine fully prepared for it. 20% is more resonable for an engine not modified to handle the load, and perhaps you'd want to reduce that a bit more on those flathead engines - I don't know alot about them, but it seems cracked blocks or cooling problems are the most common discussion topics about them, neither is good for handling big power increases.

5. khead47

khead47

Some roundy round guys had hidden nitrous systems. Or so I've heard.

Gammz likes this.
  6. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Why not ???

As noted, with the same parts preparation as any other engine...the nitrous has no idea where it is.
    Just as noted, the weak crank shaft support may not like a lot for a long time, so that should be limited in amount and time. I'd also not use it at the hit of the throttle for the same reason. Wait for a second or so out then flip the nitrous switch.
    The best people to ask would be...wait for it...the people that sell nitrous kits..!

Mike

Mike

Bandit Billy likes this.
  7. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

I think I'd rather try to talk to people who install, tune and use the systems, rather than the people who just sell them. You don't need to know alot to sell something, to actually install and use it is a bit more difficult.

Nitrous has jokingly been called "the cheapest way to blow up expensive engines". Perhaps an exaggeration, but nitrous leaves no margin for error - run it lean for a second (clogged filter, pump running slow due to loose connection...) and you will be cleaning what's left of the pistons out of the oil pan.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  8. I've ran it on alot of non-HAMB friendly cars that Ive had, nitrous isnt as scary and dangerous like alotta folks claim and when set up correctly it is awesome and a great way to really make some horsepower. That being said I dont think Id shoot it through a flat head even if it was built.....Scattered flatty doesnt sound too appetizing.

9. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I have a blower on my flattie and I'm not sure I'd want it to even get a whiff of Nitrous....

10. badvolvo

badvolvo

If it can live with a blower, you can make it live with nitrous. But on a flathead, might as well install an LS and call it good. I messed with it in the 80's, not a fan of hp in a bottle, they run out. Rather have my hp at the blip of the throttle plates. kinda like aerodynamics.............

11. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I have a 100 shot on my 49 Chevy Pickup 350/350.
    I knew nothing about it so I bought a book to read and learn before pulling the trigger, lots of info and tech to digest to be successful. There are no short cuts, short cuts spell disaster.
    I would not put nitrous on a flathead as they just are not strong enough on the bottom end.
    [​IMG]
    IMG_0181.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This Roadster runs a Flathead with 2 four barrels and nitrous. As I remember they set the record @ over 180, at Speedweek 2016. IMG_0059.JPG

13. Pretty sure you'd need a girdle for the center main cap, otherwise it will likely get shot out of the oil pan and embedded in the ground.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or that, and a 5-main crank upgrade.

15. k9racer

k9racer

My round track cars only use it the last 2 laps. Very well hidden small bottle. I have walked into a dyno room and opened a nitrous bottle and the gas found its way to the engine. I read a old article on NOS and the first car to openly use it was a 40 ford FH powered

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017