Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bob Dofflow's '49 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Bob Dofflow's '49 Ford

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Sancho, 63fdsnr, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  2. custom shoe box fords and submarines. i see the induced connection. images.jpeg u-boatmodel.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

4. kustomdeluxe

kustomdeluxe

I've always been partial to the coupes over sedans, but your right, the color really sets that car apart.

belair likes this.

5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. mlewis114

mlewis114
    from Omaha, Ne

Loving your shoebox obsession right now Ryan! Our convertible is such a fun car.

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats okay we can do shift work appreciating the beauty of the customs with complimenting endless sculpted curves as they cruise along hugging the road appearing almost wheeless much like a graceful marine vessel parting the calming sea or perhaps Santa's sled gliding along the glistening snow and gently lifting into the lightly flaked air...ah then once back from the journey your beautiful lady of every mans dream meets you with open arms, stilettos stretching upwards as she reaches to greet you as you exit ole slinky and the auto shoot camera over there captures the embrace garnished with elegant custom capturing the dream forever as we all know...pics or it didn't happen...

Hows that for a nice run on sentence from the zone of ya never know...;)

Dream on...hey thats a tune...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  8. Silva

Silva

Ha, love it when you channel gonzo journalism!

9. I love the shoebox Fords and obsessed with this car.

[​IMG]

BTW,take it from D R Berry, a pint of chilled Mr. Boston Rock & Rye will make you feel a heck of a lot better or at least you want care if you have the flu! HRP

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love it! My creativity is at it's zenith in that space between sleep and conscious thought, often cold med induced. Enjoyed your post Ryan, get some sleep.

Best cold remedy; Lipton tea flavored Nighttime Theraflu, hot apple cider and a nice pour of fireball. Keep a journal on the nightstand. You probably caught that virus the HAMB had a couple weeks ago.

Sancho, Stogy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  11. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan if you ever do decide to take the trip out here to NC I have a place for you to stay here in Wilmington NC. Have a large house and just the wife and me in it! :D

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks like one @Rocky built once or twice

Stogy likes this.
  13. You mean "syrup". ;)

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Meds. Customs. Nice match up. I think as meds became more recreational we dove into the mid/late 60s time when "Just because you can doesn't mean you should" was cast aside. That's a clean example, and I agree with you as to what a full custom is. A lot done and lots of restraint to go with it. Kool...

Stogy likes this.
  15. Rand Man

Rand Man

My shoebox obsession extends to 1954. Even though 58, they are of very similar construction. The coupes look the best from the factory. If I were to chop a sedan, I would want it to turn out like a coupe by not extending the roof length. I’m guessing they had to extend the roof on this coupe because the roof pillars aren’t angled. . . I’m not sure if I’m even making a point. I’m on pain meds today.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

theHIGHLANDER and Tim like this.
  16. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Perfect! Spots required on a full custom.

17. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I think Bob's car started out as a sedan. The quarter windows are the same length or longer than a coupe (especially evident when looking at the garnish mouldings) and the tulip panel is definitely more sedan-ish than coupe-like. It looks like the rear window was laid down and not moved forward at all.
    On a side note, I think Bob's coupe has one of the neatest grilles in it, and the use of '53 Merc bumper guards really does make it.

18. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Ryan...
    One of my favorite Issues ! I've had it since I was in high school. I still have it and all of my other Car Craft "little pages" in a special box, and one of the reasons I've always loved its cover is because it was the same Olds engine swap that was done to Don Ferrara's '49 year's earlier.
    [​IMG]

19. Squablow

Squablow

There was a really nicely done 49 0r 50 coupe done relatively recently in Wisconsin that had a very similar two tone paintjob to the one posted in the original post, using the same '54 Oldsmobile side trim I believe, only the car was blue and gold. Really well done, very pretty car, that paint scheme really works on those.

20. texastramp

texastramp

Pictures of Bob's Ford was a significant influence in the color I painted my 52 Ford " Tramp" when I built it originally

Silva likes this.
  21. S'boxes have a really weird vibe to them, they're the poor cousin of a Merc , a bit homely but liquored top they make a fine ride. There seems to be some definite paths: chop or not. Or maybe like taco sauce; mild, medium or full. Each has a place at the table as its a matter taste.
    I built 50 Tudor as a late Fifties tribute to that lost place in time when I had dreams and no money but every penny went to make my ride mine.
    Now I've got dreams and little money so why not carry on.
    The money went on the engine: 8BA flathead 3/4 race with Scat stroker crank, rods, pistons, maxi cam, ported, relieved, balanced, Edlebrock heads, Offie intake, dual English 97's , headers, MSD ignition. T5 trans & 81 Ford rear end. Power brakes, nice low Jamco suspension and steering. Fortunately the body was almost rust free when I ran across the relic. Tremclad paint shot in the basement.
    Meant to drive and enjoy. Gotta love that little flattie though. Makes me smile every time it fires up. Who cares that a Civic will eat my lunch off the line.

22. Customs are for going low & slow. HRP