Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical desoto 330 hemi camshaft options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by [email protected], Dec 12, 2017.

1. mustangiimike@aol.com

[email protected]
    from custer, wa

So i just tore down my desoto 330 hemi to freshen up for my model a build, but the cam has 2 completely flat lobes, the rest are worn pretty good.
    What kind of options do i have? Cant seem to find new. Tried calling contreras cams in cali but no luck.
    Trying to find out whats the big differance in a chrysler or dodge hemi cam from the same era.
    Any hemi experts wanna help me out, from what i have found the og cams are pretty prone to doing this.
    Thanks in advance,
    Mike

2. RonaldR

RonaldR

Are you looking for a stock cam or a high performance one.
    RON R

3. mustangiimike@aol.com

[email protected]
    from custer, wa

At this point id take either, but would prefer a performance cam, but from what i have found is regrind is about my only option

4. Fordors

Fordors

The regrind is safer. By that I mean if you bought a cam from somebody, whether it was new or used, if it was for a 276 or 291 (low deck block) the valve events would be off on one bank. Your 330 is a high deck block requiring a different angle of the lifter bores.
    If you did get a cam somewhere it would be wise to degree it in and then check the cam timing on no. 6 cylinder. If you see any difference in valve events it is a cam for a low deck block.
    There is no interchange between Chrysler, DeSoto or Dodge the lengths differ.

302GMC, Dog_Patch and Hnstray like this.

5. mustangiimike@aol.com

[email protected]
    from custer, wa

Is the length difference in the snout? Or are the journal locations spread further apart?

6. Fordors

Fordors

The blocks vary in length and I imagine it is enough to affect journal and lobe locations, but other than that I can’t say.
    As far as the low/high deck deal goes I crewed on a fuel car and aftermarket aluminum blocks were made as standard and raised cam. The aftermarket aluminum raised cam blocks have the same effect as putting a low deck cam in your engine, it screws up cam timing on one bank.

7. mustangiimike@aol.com

[email protected]
    from custer, wa

Ok, thanks for the info, i wish i could find a side by side comparison of a desoto tall deck cam to a chrysler 331-354 cam, if the difference is just in the snout i may be able to machine it to match, my dad has been a machinist for almost 30 years and can do some pretty crafty stuff

8. The early Chrysler/Dodge/DeSoto Hemi cams don't interchange... at all. If they could be made to work, Hot Heads would have solved that problem by now. You have two choices; regrind a stocker, or see if these guys are still around....
    Contreras Camshafts
    1327 S Lewis St
    Anaheim, CA 92805-6431 map
    Phone: (714) 533-6033

They were offering brand-new roller cams at one time, in either hydraulic or solid form. You'll also need the roller lifters, and custom pushrods.

The Desoto Hemi is a real orphan; there's very little available in the way of hop-up parts unless you luck out and find some vintage parts... and are willing to pay for them....

Hnstray likes this.
  9. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

I talked to hot heads & they do have some new roller cams for the 330-341-345.

Pitbullgoingpostal likes this.
  10. Is Quality Enginered Componets still around?
    They used to have regrinds avaloble

11. I've used Oregon Cam Grinding for 40+ years and still do. 360-256-7985 Quality company and Quality work, plus they may have cores. I can't say enough good about them. It's worth a call for sure.
    The Wizzard

12. sunbeam

sunbeam

Egge sez they will build up lobes and grind I assume other companys can to as to price they said 2 lobes is about all you want to pay for.