Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical hood hydraulic rams

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by motleycrue, Dec 11, 2017.

1. motleycrue

motleycrue

hi guys, has anybody fitted rams to hood of styleline? and any pics? and what car did the rams come from? thanx

2. albjerryg

albjerryg

I have not done it yet but I know Speedway Motors make a kit to do it. Jerry

3. I'm not a Kit kind of guy. Most often they get you close but wishing things were better. Don't seem to matter what kind of Kit your talking about. I have done a few gas ram projects. The thing to know is that when closed the ram needs to be actually holding the Hood (or deck) closed. Meaning the ram mount point on the Hood should be below the mount point on the body. Ram size or length depends on where you mount them front to back and that dictates how much weight the Ram is lifting. Gas rams on early factory Hood Hinges in general don't get along in that most pre 70's cars when opening the hood it's first motion is to come forward just a bit to clear the cowel. If you leave the ram trying to lift the hood in the closed position it will eventually spring the hood.

olscrounger and Terrible80 like this.
  4. If you go with gas struts underhood, protect them from the engine heat. Get them too hot and they blow out. That's a big reason you don't see them fitted as OEM too often. Being from England, just ask any Jag XJS owner about their hood struts; they almost always need replacing....

Pist-n-Broke likes this.

5. motleycrue

motleycrue

thanx for replies