Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical modern f150 brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Dec 12, 2017.

1. topher5150

topher5150

I can't find where I read about it but does anyone know what year F150 front disc brakes you can use on a Ford straight axle?

2. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Speedway shows a kit for 73-93 F150 rotors to the ford spindle. Kit uses GM calipers and gives you 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern like original. I haven’t used it but am considering it.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I used that kit several years ago on a '47 Ford I was building (along with '67/'72 Mustang M/cyl) and I was very pleased with the results. The kit uses big GM calipers. Plenty of stopping power and no booster needed. And 15" wheels cleared the calipers.

Ray

RODIST and spurgeonforge like this.
  4. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Thanks @Hnstray for taking the time to respond, good to hear from somebody who used it.

5. Another feature of both Speedway's & ECI's brake kit is that it does not increase tread width as many other kits do.

A drawback is the need to use spindles with stock steering arms (or get creative).

There is a big bump that has to be ground off the caliper in all cases and depending on the wheel maybe a little more clearance grinding on the outside edges of the caliper body ; but not a big deal.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I do not recall having to do that in my installation. However, I used the '71/'76 full size GM calipers and I think the newer (i.e. '80s era) GM pickup calipers also fit the application and may have some differences in the casting details. I do not know that to be a fact, merely speculating, based your fitment issues.

Ray

7. topher5150

topher5150

I am planning on using the stock spindles, probably have to lower the arms a tad too.

8. The Wheel Vintiques wheels cleared on one car and the unknown brand repop wheels rubbed and required light grinding to clear.
    Not sure; but I think Speedway's caliper came with the bump ground off and we had to grind it off the ECI supplied calipers.

Either way; none of the grinding was a big deal and we were happy with both kits (they are really the same).

Speedway's the best deal with free shipping and all; but they were out of stock and somebody just had to have a kit so he ordered the ECI kit (with $45 shipping) and of course the car is still in progress; but it has disc brakes now. lol.

Oh, and if you want one of those silly Unisteer giz's; the calipers need to go to the front.

Hnstray likes this.