Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest HOW TO AVOID SPAMMERS..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodmano, Dec 12, 2017.

1. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Lately Ive seen new "members" post crappy spam in here. More recently in the cars-for-sale section. After checking their profile, they have been member a day only. How about setting some regulations to new members. For instance they need at least one reccomendation from another member here before approval of membership. That should get rid of most crappy spammers I Guess. I mean, if you are into traditional rods and kustoms, you have some kind of contacts around that culture.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Overkill as a solution. The “report” button seems adequate to weed out the spam without undue burden on prospective members.

Ray

3. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

yes you are right.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Terrible80

Terrible80

47ragtop, catdad49, loudbang and 4 others like this.

5. khead47

khead47

Due diligence is all we need. There are many members from BFE.

loudbang likes this.
  6. choptop40

choptop40

String em up....

loudbang likes this.
  7. I've bought some relatively expensive items (over $500) from members here, looked at their posts and whatever else they were selling. Dialogue is important, how they interact on posts with others.

47ragtop, catdad49, InstantT and 2 others like this.
  8. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

There was some weird spam post on the Hamb this morning, I looked at it and it was crap so I thought to myself that this one won't last long. By the time I decided to hit the report button I'd clicked out of that post so I clicked on it again and it had already disappeared. Seems to work good the way it is.

loudbang likes this.
  9. From what I understand here, the mods kill much spam before we see it.
    Sure some gets through, we have even had incidents of being bombed with spam. My report button finger got a workout. I hit that button, then wait for a few minutes, and hit it again, and goodbye parasite.

I feel bad for these parasites. They obviously can't get a real job, so they gotter pimp out some trash products that no one buys.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Deuces

Deuces

Make'em walk the plank...
    ARRRRR.....:mad:

loudbang and pitman like this.
  11. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spam is always going to be a problem I am afraid. I am up pretty late most nights, must be because of a miss spent youth. I delete on some nights late in the morning like after 4 or so as many as a dozen spam postings. Lately there doesn't seem to be quite as many really, but it changes from time to time. The report thing is working just fine I think, could be a real problem with having to have a another member stand up for you when in fact many of us don't really know each other except thru or postings.

loudbang likes this.
  12. G .

G .
    from Austin

I got my post deleted asking questions in the technical section... not sure why, as I see plenty of other similar posts on here. It'd be nice if I knew why (or was able to get a warning before hand, as there was good info I could have used- now it's just gone).

13. !REPORT!
    Use your handy report button,that's what it's for. HEP

InstantT and hotrodharry2 like this.
  14. Report works just well... only thing I dislike is the guys that don't add inputs to the forums questions or etc.. just come to sell cars or parts... or hey is this worth buying ... and that's it.. I've hit that report button in the past.. poof gone !

loudbang likes this.
  15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Depends on what you're asking questions about and whether it's period correct stuff you're asking about. Some more modern
    stuff like MII IFS won't last long.

hotrodmano likes this.
  16. When I joined the HAMB, I didn't know a single member. Met some great friends and people once I was on here, but if I needed a current member to vouch for me, I would have never gotten on. Unfortunately, my old muscle car contacts wouldn't have much pull here...
    I get the idea you're after. But unfortunately, this is a digital world, and the HAMB is worldwide. For the trouble the scammers and spammers give us, I'm afraid we'd miss out on a lot of great knowledge from people who wouldn't have been able to join if there was a 'stress test'.

loudbang likes this.
  17. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just report it. After a couple reports, a post automatically goes into quarantine for a moderator's review. If the mod deems it legit, it comes back; if it's spam, it goes away.

There is no reason to NOT report a suspicious post. The OP does not "see" who reported it. And if it's legit, it will come back. It's actually a pretty good self-policing system when the community uses it.

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  18. pitman

pitman

This conversation does help to clarify. I figure anything from "Bodymaninacan" on back in time, is relevant.

19. Sounds good on the surface but when I joined I only knew one person that was a member and many upstanding members that are well respected joined on the spur of the moment.

There are a lot of guys that use the hamb to sell their cars and parts and never participate on the forums unless like a recent post asking what we think of a seal that went south.

Using the classifieds,If the seller is a long time member in good standing,participates in conversations I will do business with him if it's something I need.

And maybe it's just me but the guys that make a living using what Ryan has built need to become alliance members,50 bucks a year is a pittance for the moneys they make here. HRP

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    31hotrodguy, catdad49 and Hombre like this.
  20. 0nedon

0nedon

I'm new on this site and have bought some things from some very GOOD people here, however I did get one raw deal, kind of my fault. I should of not been in such a hurry. Any way I paid the price. Reported it and it was dealt with rapidly!! IT works.

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  21. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I agree 100%. Dialogue is important. Most spammers really have no idea what they are talking about
    when they try to scam. Most of the time their dictation is way off.

My advice if someone is leary of a seller, is to chat with them about their items. Ask the questions that need to be answered. Watch how the scammer reacts. Anyone with common sense will be able to spot a scammer a mile away.

clem and loudbang like this.
  22. I am 73 years old and have had my AVATAR since 1969. A lot of other early Fords. I am not sure I could find anyone to "recommend" me without a lot of looking. The ones that are not dead are not into computers. I would think it would be worse in Norway. I would hate to see anything done that would discourage people.

Charlie Stephens

pitman, Hombre and loudbang like this.
  23. G .

G .
    from Austin

I mean- it was in the technical section regarding improving a 235 that's in a 1951. I wouldn't imagine posts about disc brake conversions get deleted... but whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

24. Snipe

Snipe

get his horse.

25. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

The moderators could easily eliminate most of the spam threads
    All it requires is a minimum number of posted replies before a new member can start a new thread.

But spamming an existing thread would be more inconvenient.

26. Side project for someone into computers... Get the spammers email address, set up a computer with a free email account, and keep sending them an email every second or so, hopefully it jams up their computer, so they can be annoyed out of existance.
    I'm not into computers,but surely this can be done? Don't get mad, get even.....

27. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Primer, you make some good points. I will address one of those. The classifieds man it is the first thing I check when I turn on the computer, even before my e-mail I always check to see what is for sale. Over the years I have spent way more money here on the HAMB classifieds than I would really care to admit.

I have set a few "Personal" rules for purchasing on the classifieds. I check to see what kind of a member is selling. I say "kind of" meaning if it is some guy just selling and not contributing in any other way I pass those items by. The exception to that would be a guy who just sells BUT has become an Alliance member, that guy I would buy from. I do not take a lot of stock in how many POSTS anyone has, I have been a member on the HAMB for almost 10 years and I do not have any where close to a high post count. I am on here every day and mostly read and try to learn, I usually only post if and when I have something to say that bears some merit to whatever conversation is going on. Some guys are real talkers and some of are not. I am a Alliance member because I want to contribute, and I get a hell of a lot more out of the HAMB then a mere $50.00 a year could ever reflect.

Ryan has done a fine job in setting up the HAMB with the minimum number of rules possible. making more rules is not the answer here. Maybe setting personal rules would be a good thing for a lot of folks.

clem and hidez57 like this.
  28. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I have an easy solution, have a test for new members. Show multiple pictures of cars from the 30s and have the new member identify which is the deuce.

29. I try to only associate with H.A.M.B. members.

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That isn't really who we are talking about here although there have been some "scammers" along the way.
    The "SPAMMERS" that the thread is about is the individuals that seem to pop up about 10PM Pacific time or later and post strange posts that usually advertise something to make you bone stiff.

As others said, you see one, hit REPORT and report it. Rather like shooting rats that keep popping back up some nights.

hotrodmano likes this.