Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '36 Ford steering column support?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris 50, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Chris 50

Chris 50

Is there a factory support bracket or something else behind the dash to hold the steering column rigid beyond just where the drop bolts to the bottom of the dashboard? If so, any pics? Any help here is appreciated!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Nope its just the drop. The original column tube was supported at the dash with the column drop then went thru the floor and clamped onto the body of the steering box. The car in your avatar looks mighty low so I'm figuring it does not have the OG front suspension. If it has a Mustang 2 setup you can use the original type column you just have to fab a mount where if goes through the toe board between the pedals.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Chris 50

Chris 50

Aftermarket frame with MII style front end is correct. The column is in and pretty well sorted out, just thought maybe there was a piece I was missing to make things a little more stout up near the dash. Thanks for the reply Jason.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

As stated above, unlike stock steering gear - which was bolted firmly to the frame - the strength of the stock dash itself (formed, curved being a lot stronger than a flat piece of metal) and a short drop were all you needed to keep things from flopping around back in the day. But with a modern column / steering linkage, I'd recommend adding a little more coming down from the underside of the cowl as the thru port in the firewall might not have a way to also mechanically attach the column. On my 37 Ford, I used a small 3/8" threaded tube assembly (like a brace for a wing or carb linkage) that had a rod end on each end. It was attached with small tabs to the back of the cowl and dash. Since the tube was adjustable, I could tighten it up and lock it down firmly after the column and finished dash were mounted in the car. Sorry, no pix. Hardest part (20/20) was finding a place to mount it so it didn't interfere with the rest of the under dash crap and the backs of the gauges. Gary

5. Chris 50

Chris 50

I've got roughly a 2 1/2" long piece of tube welded in at the floor that's a slip fit with two set screws. I am going to re-enforce it up top though and like your idea. Still need to get gauges and whatnot in there first to see where I have room like you said. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app