Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What on earth is this car I got?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaygryph, Dec 10, 2017.

1. jaygryph

jaygryph
    from oregon

I picked up this ol' sedan as part of a sale/trade recently and the owner had no idea what it was. I thought that it was a 30 Dodge sedan when I saw pictures of it before he dropped it off, but I'm not so sure about that. The hood is not for it, and looks like it's for a Durant or something similar. It uses a lot of welded construction, and despite the wood being mostly gone the body is pretty sturdy, if bent. It looks like it was a pretty advanced car for the era. The front seat is welded into the body at the B pillars is probably why it's still so rigid, and that looks to have been factory.

Anyway, figured I should find out what it is before I decide what to do with it. The previous owner was going to use it for a well house. photo_2017-12-10_21-42-55.jpg photo_2017-12-10_21-42-59.jpg photo_2017-12-10_21-43-03.jpg photo_2017-12-10_21-43-09.jpg photo_2017-12-10_21-43-12.jpg photo_2017-12-10_21-43-17.jpg photo_2017-12-10_21-43-22.jpg photo_2017-12-10_21-43-26.jpg photo_2017-12-10_21-43-31.jpg photo_2017-12-10_21-43-35.jpg

chryslerfan55 and spurgeonforge like this.
  2. This is just a wild ass guess from looking at the front fenders, but maybe a Studebaker?
    Bob

chryslerfan55 and Clay Belt like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

4. Looks like it. It's got that awning deal over the windshield.

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. wvenfield

wvenfield

I think that whatever it is, the hood and sides are for something else.

6. jaygryph

jaygryph
    from oregon

The up and down louvers with a space between them looks Durantish but I honestly don't know a lot about this era vehicle. I've only owned a few things from those decades.

mike in tucson and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. jaygryph

jaygryph
    from oregon

That linked picture sure does look like it. The front fenders have stampings like that, and the body lines around the belt line and cowl and windshield transition look very close. Also it has that vent ahead of the windshield. I wonder what particular model this is.

8. squirrel

squirrel

9. The cowl light brackets and trim are worth a pretty penny!

10. Windscreen & sunvisor look good too. Amazing really if you look at the rest of the car. There is a decent body there in all that junk. ( not the mini santa claus )

11. What about the panel truck sitting in front of it.

12. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I think the spare tire clock was a rare option. :cool:

1927graham, billsat, weps and 6 others like this.
  13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Definitely, but the car has seen better times. Seriously, the body looks really decent. Cowl and door bottoms needed, porta power out that roofline.
    What are your plans? A better fate than a pump house I hope!

Anyone know what this cap is??? Gas cap? Looks as though it may read "White Mountain Ford". It has what appears to be a cranking handle.
    Watch it end up being worth more than the car!

upload_2017-12-11_6-2-39.png

tb33anda3rd and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

ive got a 29 dodge sedan at the shop and looks like its twin.i really need the bottom glass tracks for all four doors if your gonna part out.6618780676brian

15. Thats not a cap ... Its the crank handle mechanism for a White Mountain Ice Cream churn...Spent many a hot summer night cranking the family's churn ...Yummy.... homemade ice cream...

e7e3fc4b0ed178f7d0cf437b7d166ea7--best-vanilla-ice-cream-vintage-ice-cream.jpg

16. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Well its obviously at the North Pole, Santa is hiding in it................

Me thinks Dodge also.HO HO HO

17. BobPer

BobPer

It's a 1929 Dodge Standard Six. I had one years ago. Hope that helps, Bob

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and squirrel like this.
  18. sunbeam

sunbeam

It looks like a Chrysler corp but I can't find a hood with the louvers in 2 sections.

19. jaygryph

jaygryph
    from oregon

My plans are undecided. I had thought about deleting the front doors to make it a suicide door extended pickup cab. Photoshop suggested that could look pretty unique. I don't know if I want to go to the trouble of building a full cab for my project though. I was looking for more of a roadster pickup as the end result. Honestly I may just end up selling or trading it. The body itself is bent, it looks like it may have been rolled on it's side to get the drivetrain or maybe was pushed about by a loader. The damage to it is very old, and does not look recent. We were gentle with it when we unloaded it. The metal in most places is very solid, never sat upside down in a creek or anything like that. The rear of the body is actually in very nice shape, as is the cowl and front. It's really the middle of the body that got tweaked. That rear spare tire carrier is pretty cool.

As for the weird fuel cap, that's an ice cream machine crank handle, lol. I forget what it says but it's white mountain something or other. That actually would make a neat fuel cap now that you mention it! That body could be saved for sure and would be a great and less common than an A project body.

20. jaygryph

jaygryph
    from oregon

That does Bob, thanks. :)

21. jaygryph

jaygryph
    from oregon

22. Good call- lots of usable parts on that body, AND some of them may work for other models (like the cowl band and posts, and the visor may work for Victory Six, etc)

23. jaygryph

jaygryph
    from oregon

In case anyone was wondering what my original intent was for it, here's a photo edit of it shortened into a truck cab to remove the wrinkled middle section. This is not something I'll do to it till I have the shop space, so most likely it's just a pipe dream, but I think it would look pretty neat. dodge cab.jpg

24. squirrel

squirrel

It's an idea....

I expect before you get too far with it, you'll do some more looking and measuring, and discover that it might be a bit more difficult than you anticipate, to get it to fit together like that. The bodies back then have a lot of taper, if you look down on it from above, you'll see that the cowl/windshield area is not as wide as the middle and rear of the body.

And the doors are way too short on your photoshop :)

25. Not into a pick up but a shortened 4 door body build.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...y-race-to-the-road-progress-in-review.437990/

26. jaygryph

jaygryph
    from oregon

Interesting stuff. I do know as was mentioned above about the body tapering in. Things rarely line up right to just remove a section of any body. Realistically I think what will happen is I'll get some sort of axels under this thing so it can be rolled around, and then it will find a new home that isn't my yard. I'd rather it go to someone that knows what they're doing or has a clear plan, or at least more clear than my nebulous make a thing with it "plans". Thanks for the link.

27. It's a 1929 Dodge Brothers Standard Six as is the photo of the blue Dodge above labeled as a 1930.

chryslerfan55 and squirrel like this.
  28. squirrel

squirrel

That's why I always try to leave my answers as questions...you can't always believe what the internet tells you!

29. ...neat find, did you get the clock too?..it's 4 o'clock somewhere.