Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Steering arms?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bikelessbill, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Bikelessbill

Bikelessbill

Just got my dropped axle for my Model A project and need some advice. I'm using '48 Model square back spindles. I know that I will have to heat and bend steering arms to clear axle. I'm a little concerned about my ability to do that safely. Would it better or possible to cut arms off and use some of the bolt on dropped steering arms? Thanks Bill

2. alchemy

alchemy

There's nobody around who can help you? I think it's safer to have the original arms than bolt on ones. I was in a car that had the arms come loose on the interstate.

3. evintho

evintho

I assume you have access to an oxy/act welder. HF has a cheap rosebud tip that I've been using for awhile and it works quite well.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/oxygen-acetylene-heating-tip-6-67178.html

Simply heat the steering arms cherry red at the point you want to bend it, put a pipe over the arm and bend it to where you want it. It bends so easy it's like bending a coat hangar! Piece of cake!

4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

My steering arms are attached to the joint and never come off. They are bent at the elbow to relax them.:rolleyes:

5. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

6. Bikelessbill

Bikelessbill

Guess I'll give it a try. If I mess up I can always get more spindles and say I learned something new!

7. alchemy

alchemy

Give it a try, and magnaflux them afterwards. If they fail, you can always cut them off and try the bolt on arms. But use lots of locktite.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for reminding me, I had my '32 heavy dropped at Koler Kustom and need to mail my spindles to match the drop. Bob

www.kohlerkustom.com

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I used Magnum dropped steering arms. if you pay attention to how they fit when installing the bolts and use Locktite you will be fine. The bolts should not bottom out.