Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hop up parts for pontiac straight 8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ThePontiacKid, Feb 10, 2011.

1. jason1970

jason1970

2. HLJ

HLJ
    from TN

I have a
    STRAIGHT 8 PONTIC DUAL CARB EDMUND INTAKE that I am going to sell.

3. Is there anymore info on the straight 8? I doubt it but has anyone starting making after market parts for the motor? Can we get some pictures of hoped up Pontiac straight 8's?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. REV-1970

REV-1970

Have you sold the dual intake?

5. REV-1970

REV-1970

I'm currently restoring/dressing up a 1954 pontiac with original engine, do you still have the aluminum head?

6. REV-1970

REV-1970

I just gave you a call... Sounds like we have similar interests! I'm just south of you in Murfreesboro!

7. 'Mo

'Mo

Milling the head seems a natural. Pertronics Ignitor, or dual point conversion. Chopped flywheel for responsiveness.
    And call Delta Cams about a regrind and refaced lifters.
    (I applied these techniques to Chevy 216's.)

Here's a bit of info on splitting the Pontiac exhaust manifold. gives new meaning to "Over the top". LOL.
    There was also a thread on a homemade tri-carb on a '39 Pontiac. Maybe you can find it.

[​IMG]

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1951-pontiac-straight-8-split-exhaust-manifold.605805/

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  8. Original posting was from March 2013, more than a year ago. Thing probably sold in the time it takes to run one eBay auction.

9. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I also have a 50 Pontiac straight 8 with a 3 speed manual transmission. I want to do the same motor upgrades but was wondering if it would be possible to mate a Saginaw 4 speed to the motor? I have a rebuilt Saginaw that came with another car I bought. When I sold that car I kept the tranny. Also, are there any split exhaust systems out there or would I have to fabricate one?

10. 22 track

22 track

Bendtsen's sells a somewhat pricy transmission adaptor for the Pontiac straight eight for $1150. I recall hearing about someone who did a stainless split exhaust system years ago, but I have lost that information.

https://www.transmissionadapters.com/Pricing.htm

11. Joe frields

Joe frields

I just picked up a Edmonds intake for a straight 8 Pontiac that is in great condition. It has the carbs and linkage. I bought it from a guy that had some 57 Pontiac for sale. He had it on the shelf in his garage and ask me if I would be interested in it? Anyway I picked it up from him and really don't have a use for it.

12. Hi Joe, PM sent

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

Hop up parts and a straight 8 to me is an oxymoron. If it were me I'd leave it alone and save your money going toward an eventual V8 swap. Seriously doubt any bolt on would add any appreciable or noticeable performance.

14. But ANYONE can do a V8 swap. Takes a real hotrodder to hop up what is in there!

Ben

15. The original poster last posted almost 7 years ago. I doubt he even owns the car anymore.

16. Joe frields

Joe frields

Pm you

17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To completely confuse things, when I was in high school, there were a few early fifties Pontiacs running around with Oldsmobile V8's. I guess if the Pontiac originally came with a Hydramatic, the swap was easy-peasy. I remember one Chieftan two door that the guy drove around with no hood. He had six deuces with "Frog-Mouth" scoops on it. The insides of the scoops were painted day-glo orange. It made quite a statement.

18. havi

havi

There is a uniqueness factor when hopping up a Pontiac straight 8, IMO. The rarity of available parts is what makes it cool in its own right.

I recently got my new project home, with a straight 8 and hydro, but it's currently stuck. (not sure which is causing it, after removing driveshaft even) I'm considering a '55 or '56 Pontiac 287 or 316 V8, as they don't look to be hard to swap in.