Register now to get rid of these ads!

The JADE IDOL returns to Gene Winfield.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Pete, Sep 20, 2017.

1. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see it’s for sale by Billy, in a full page ad in the Rodders Journal.

chryslerfan55 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I see a bunch of razor blades on the deck lid. did they scrape the paint off?

3. By the looks of the paint chips on the floor I would say they probably did.

4. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Yes, they were removing the paint with the razor blades. I'm not sure how that process works. If you look closely you can see where the paint is still on the car in the corners and crevasses.
    There were a lot of green flakes on the ground and I heard comments about picking them up to sell as souvenirs.

5. From the sounds of things, its already been sold a couple months ago.

Mick

chryslerfan55, Baron and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  6. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Didn't this happen in a towing accident? Similar to what happened with the R&C Dream Truck? Not very long after it was first customized?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Hambers...
    Gene & I did an Interview about the "Jade Idol" in 2006. He talks about building the car, what he did to it, and that Billy had it at that time. It's a cool, short, informative piece of Gene's history, and if you haven't heard it yet, here's the Direct Link...
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage145.html

[​IMG]

ENJOY !
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

8. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

Same question WHAT HAPPENED, not huge into customs, but have always like this one, that picture was like a punch in the gut, never heard the story of that shot.

9. https://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Jade_Idol

"The Jade Idol was first shown on the West Coast. After that it was sent to the East for shows there. On the way back to California after a show in Missouri, the trailer that hauled the car flipped and the car landed on its roof. The roof and the rear quarter panel were damaged in the flip over. As Gene had insured the car to Leroy himself, Gene had to fix up the car himself, with his own money after the accident. The car was brought back to Winfield who stripped the car, welded on a new roof, fixed other body damage and repainted the car. The restored version of the car was done without the chrome strips on the roof. After the car was fixed, Gene made another deal with Leroy to keep it for another year so he could show it some more."

10. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Pete, Torkwrench, Gavin Tittle, Sancho, and all my friends here at the H.A.M.B....

Wanted to share this with you: In July of 2013 at the 33rd KKOA Leadsled, Gene & I did another of our Late Night Interview Sessions. Though we had previously covered his building the "JADE IDOL", I wanted to ask him about Sectioning it.

Gene then opened up his "memory banks" on the IDOL, and what followed was a History Lesson not to be missed ! He covers: the fact that this was his first Section job; how he put some of his own money into the IDOL project; the accident itself; how he Sectioned the IDOL...and how to Section the right way & what happens when you do; and then surprised me with the Info on Sectioning & Chopping his own '58 Impala !

If you get a chance, here's the Direct Link to get you this Interview with Gene...you'll enjoy it for sure, more than that, you'll hear the passion in Gene's voice in every part of his story...the man's a design, metalworking, painting genius !
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage188.html

Best to all,
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

11. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Special Note To All...
    Thought you'd enjoy this fun piece of Info: Most of the Interviews Gene & I do end-up being "late night" Sessions due to the hectic atmosphere of the events we're at. That was true of this one.

It was the KKOA Leadsled and there was a big party going on that Saturday night in the lounge of the host hotel. Gene, John D'Agostino, and, myself were there too (along with about a zillion others in the lounge !). John & I had done an earlier Interview, but Gene & I wanted to get one done before we all left on Sunday.

Well, John's room was the closest and in an area of the hotel far from the noise & the crowd, so he said "Let's just use my room, it'll be just perfect & quiet." So we did. And, while Gene & I were recording, John was taking some pix, posting, and, answering comments on his FaceBook Page with his iPhone...about 3 feet from where Gene & I were.

After we finished, which was about 1:30am, Gene wanted to go back to the Lounge to see if the band was still playing so he could dance some more ! The man never runs out of energy !! You can hear that "energy" in this story...and as you listen, visualize the Info I've just related here...it WAS fun ! (And, thanks again, Johnny D !)
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage188.html
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

12. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the pix and the memories. They're much appreciated.

13. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

14. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

[​IMG]
    Gonna miss being able to visit her any time I want, but she's back in SoCal.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

I like the rear end treatment but im not into the front headlights, they could've thought of something better...sorry

16. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

needs different headlights, they don't go with the car...

17. Pete

Pete

Rick, are you touching yourself?

NorwegianV8, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.