Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Model A Phantom Phaeton?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brett4christ, Nov 28, 2017.

1. I've got this dilemma...I have a '30 Model A Tudor body for sale and seemingly nobody wants it. It's all disassembled, but for the right person, it would make a heckuva good jumping off place toward a neat hot rod. BUT...I'm not going to just GIVE it away, so....

Has anyone ever built (or seen) a decently built phantom phaeton? I know the general census here when it comes to coupsters, but what about whacking the top off of a Tudor for a wannabe phaeton?

My thoughts would be to cut the top off at the A, B and C pillars, smooth out the door/quarter tops in a nice subtle rounded fashion, and use a couple of those little Euro bug screens for windshields. I know it would be obvious that it used to have a top, but it would make a fun, if not improper, beater. With a little scrounging, about the only thing I would need would be some patch panels, a little powerplant/trans combo that wouldn't destroy an A banjo and a set of brakes.

I'd love to hear some constructive input and maybe see some examples. If you want to beat me up on this, come buy the thing before I cut it up!

Thanks guys!

Link to classified
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1930-31-model-a-tudor-body-kit.1084126/

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you do start cutting I'm interested in the door tops.

Bob

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. exterminator

exterminator

I wouldn't do it. Unless you are hurting for money right now I would let it sit and try selling it this coming spring-just my opinon.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. dualquads

dualquads

13442201_10157083196060323_5380981834064721910_n.jpg this one belongs to a friend...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    ROCKER77 and brett4christ like this.

5. Been done many times, Joe Kress even did a full article years ago in his American Rodder days. The key to having it look less like a hacked up sedan is skinny-ing the doors top to bottom.....more work than most are willing to do. And, to your original "problem", it won't make the body any more desirable or sellable in today's market. 29 sedan to tub a.jpg 29 sedan to tub b.jpg 29 sedan to tub c.jpg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    ROCKER77, ClarkH, bct and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

7. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Not trying to be a stickler, but a phantom is something Ford(or whoever) never made. Ford produced 2 door tubs in 30 and 31.

As to your original question, don’t do it. Unless you’re going to use a roadster cowl and windshield and make it look like an original tub body. JMO

brett4christ likes this.
  8. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

[​IMG]

Here's mine, it started as a fordor but is now a two door tub.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

barrnone50, Stu, tb33anda3rd and 3 others like this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I like that, are there more photos or a build thread?

Bob

brett4christ likes this.
  10. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

Most of the build is documented on here but not in one thread, it's in a bunch of threads based on the specific tasks.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Any more examples??

12. Interesting, can you tell me what issue this was in? Thanks

13. Kept the scans but not the magazines. Try blowing up the pics and see if you can make out the date in the corner, I think it's November 2004 or maybe 2001 but my monitor resolution isn't good enough to make it clear.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  14. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. Somebody asked for more. Here's one with an under construction shot, and then finished. 29 tub from sedan.jpg 29 tub from sedan 07a.jpg
    29 tub from sedan 08.jpg

16. One of the magazines had a stylist make up a sketch sequence on fabbing one;
    29 tub from sedan 04.jpg 29 tub from sedan 03.jpg 29 tub from sedan 05.jpg 29 tub from sedan 06.jpg 29 tub from sedan 02.jpg

Tim_with_a_T and Stu like this.
  17. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Here's mine, tried selling it this year and didn't get much interest either.
    IMG_1615 - Copy.JPG

18. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_0214.JPG Ive always been a fan of this one

19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

^^^x2. Capped off doors and quarters (or worse yet, upholstery snapped over the quarters) won't cut it and will probably make the body far less desirable than it is in stock Sedan form.

With all the hours of labor involved for you to do the mods, you'd be better off knocking a few hundred off the price or maybe taking in a trade of parts you need for one of your projects.

As mentioned, it's a tough time of year to sell, and it obviously has to interest someone within a reasonable driving distance as it can't be practically shipped. That may amount to only a couple of hundred HAMBers and if it hasn't yet sold here, they're either not remotely interested or the price isn't attractive enough to jump on it.
    Have you had any offers?

Have you advertised it locally, such as Craigslist?

Deucedreamer and The37Kid like this.
  20. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, I have some pre-digital pics somewhere

Sent from my HTC One using The H.A.M.B. mobile app