Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest We're About 75 And Still Building (Join In)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PHIL COOPY, Nov 30, 2017.

1. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

I’m almost 73 and after driving my roadster for about 20 years in this configuration I’ve decided to think about a different grille. It’s just in the mock up stage but is lots of fun to think about, and at this point, just scrap wood and cardboard. I can make it “traditional “ anytime by making the ‘32 grille be vertical but I like thinking outside the box. And I can still slide back to the old configuration in the spring if the new ideas don’t work. Howard.

Attached Files:

Kan Kustom, biggeorge, Hombre and 3 others like this.
  2. Midnight340

Midnight340

I'm liking the new grille idea!! Fun to see fresh ideas ...especially from one of us youngsters who have been around throughout so much hot rod history!!

"Traditional" was all new and fresh ideas once upon a time!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Kan Kustom likes this.
  3. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Well I'm just a pup at 68 but still playing with old cars and motorcycles. I keep thinking this will be my last car, bike or whatever but then find something I think I need. Going to paint the body on my V8 A this week, I hope to continue as long as I'm able to. Went for a lunch ride yesterday (170 miles) and a friend who is 82 went with us, all the old farts out there still at it give us something to strive for.

Kan Kustom and biggeorge like this.
  4. 34Larry

34Larry

I'll be 79 in April. Just put this on the road in Aug. but still much to redo and get right. 34 x6.jpg

5. Not quite 70, that'll come next summer! I'm still at it, or at least trying. Not been a good year for me health wise but it's getting better. Looking forward to 2018!

My project back in '65...
    5th car - 1955 Chevrolet Handyman.jpg

My projects today...
    91.JPG
    89.jpg
    17992216_10158537772505720_5099305075011815519_n.jpg
    Proud to be in such fine company.

6. Well I am 83 & still working on my Merc.
    when I had my Speed Shop back in the 60's & 70's I build so many Sleeper
    and Race cars for the Street & Strip
    I did Build my Race Car 64 Chevell SS 427/L88 engine
    thats when I Met Don Gartlets, when I was Racing, very Nice Guy
    I will never Forget that I blew something in the Rear that Day
    & had the Car on Jack Stands looking at what happen & he was under
    it with me,when he asked me a Question I looked at him & could not
    beleive he was there.
    He told me when that he liked the way the Car Ran & when I get the Bugs
    out of it would be a Great Contender

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

7. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm 78 and have no plans to stop. This '39 Dodge will be a gift to my younger grandson, Sawyer.

DSCF2495.JPG

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I'll be 74 in February......have slowed down a little.......but still interested and active with several projects.
    Barring unforeseen health issues, I expect to keep at it for some time to come.

Ray

9. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

77... Still working on my 63 Ranchero and other projects.... Out in my shop every day...
    I am in reasonably good health by the grace of God.... Heaven knows I certainly wasn't doing a
    very good job taking care of myself in my younger years......

Growing old is mandatory... Growing up Is optional... :) ;) :D

Lynn W

10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

My dad is 64 and I get to work with him 2-3 days every week on this old Chrysler.

I love building this car. It's definitely not just about the car. :)

Attached Files:

Kan Kustom likes this.
  11. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Headed to Sarasota, Fl. today to visit SaltWorks shop open house day where my son works on hot rods. Want to see how many old fart hot rodders I meet there today.
    -Phil

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    Kan Kustom, biggeorge and 1stGrumpy like this.
  12. threewindow

threewindow

I turned 84 last July . Just finished A 31 flathead roadster . Currently building A 57 427 big block chevy pickup, Out in the shop everyday. Been out there everyday for the last thirty years.

Kan Kustom and firstinsteele like this.
  13. threewindow

threewindow

I ran my 33 threewindow down the drag strip on my 84th birthday A couple of times.

14. blazedogs

blazedogs

A very interesting topic. I'm in my mid 70's,All my life I have loved the old car hobby. Now that I'm old and have a few health issues as old people usually do,knee replacement . When I decided to build my last car my Family questioned it saying I was too old. The time it would take,the hours standing on cold concrete in my shop,the fact
    my knees won't allow me to kneel anymore and cost the of a entire build even if I did 95 % myself would take too long. One of my Grand daughters even said Grandpa you might not live along to finish it...

Well I started ,now about 2 years ago and still going out to the shop even now that Winter has set in here and I have to walk through snow to get down there. I still have no regrets and it helps me to enjoy life.

Gene in Farmington Mn

15. sfowler

sfowler

I,m so glad I saw your site on STILL BUILDING been building in my home garage for 40 plus years. I,m 71 and finished my last frame off a year ago . I,ve been looking for a new project ever since even though my wife says I have to many cars now . I finally found a nice 53 f-100 project in S.C. but after wasting the owners time I decided i might be to old for another basket case. thanks to all your comments i realize that my shop time is critical to my lasting health. i plan to keep at it ( a little slower ) until the end . 1930 coupe , 1932 sedan , 1933 coupe , 1934 pickup STEVE

Kan Kustom likes this.
  16. Wrench666

Wrench666

41 coupe likes this.
  17. I envy you guy's.... Hope I'm still doing it when I get there..... But- some of you are a cantankerous bunch!
    Hope I won't be like that! But I'm already saying get the F off my lawn!:eek:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  18. Fourdy

Fourdy

Nearing 76 yrs. two of the three cars I built from scratch. Now building a replacement blower motor for the 40. Still feeling good and moving on.

20150616_151015.jpg
    Fourdy

19. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

turnd 76 yesterday,went and picked up a model A cowel today for a project, just finished my 27 tv8 last week and am going to pick up a 27 year project from the trim shop this week.have a 34 rdst project i finally found all the parts i wanted, will start soon. cant stop..

20. I am 74, and have been fighting a stem cell cancer in the bone marrow for 28 years. I am still playing with cars when I feel well, and dream about playing with cars when I don't.
    I am looking forward to having my new 2000 sq ft garage built in this coming year, and working with my son to finish his 47 International pickup.
    I have enough projects to last me until I am 135.
    Make plans, don't plan the outcome.
    Bob

21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I'm 74 and a 2 time cancer survivor and still working on my 58 Biscayne, when I get done with that, I have a 58 AJS motorcycle to do, so I better get back to it! :D

Kan Kustom, biggeorge, j-jock and 2 others like this.
  22. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

Will be 71 in March, just finished a 425 Olds powered T-bucket, pic in T-Bucket Interior thread.
    Still consuming band aids as needed and creating things that turn fuel into noise. Always have free beer
    tomorrow at the shop.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  23. 40grit

40grit

72 last August. Still get a kick out of building the cars everyone else avoids. The other guys day on the lake is my time in the shop.

Hope this one is yard driving in the spring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. One sentence, Blazedogs nailed it:
    I just turned 71, would love to build another one after spending 10 years building my avatar. Frankly, I don't have the funds to do another one, and if I did decide to scratch for funds to do it, it would take away from my new passion.......driving the '57on frequent long road trips! I like remodeling houses as well, and this year we bought a new-to-us house also built in '57. Been doing house projects steadily since April, but two side bonuses..........it's actually got me back in shape somewhat, and I now have an oversize 2 1/2 car garage to replace the converted carport at the old house that my avatar was built in.
    One thing we know for sure, if we don't start that last project, it will never be finished either. If that's your desire and choice to do, it doesn't really matter if it gets finished does it?

25. There are 3 sports Music, Girls, and Cars I'm still going good, 29 roadster with nailhead, chopped 51 Merc and chopped 39 tub, play in a band, perform honeydoos and wake up every morning with this thought "Wow! I woke up!" I think most HAMBers are older guys. 1941 til now, Wow! I woke up!

26. I'm 70, still working and stocking my estate sale.
    Cutting back to 3 days per week in January. Maybe I'll get more fun work done.

27. Terrible80

Terrible80

At 61 you guys give me a lot of hope and inspiration. Thank you!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. rooman

rooman

I am a young punk at 69 (70 next summer) but I don't have time to slow down as I have two dragsters to restore (69 Don Long top fuel and a 67 RCS junior fuel) and also have quite a few of the components to build a street rod. They are in addition to the work that I have booked in at my shop--front engine dragster, funny car rebuild and a new fuel altered for an old friend. I still get to make the occasional run in a customer's dragster as well.
    I guess that I get some of my inspiration from my dad who sold his restored Jaguar at 84 and ended up buying another one to play with because he was bored. He finally cashed in his chips at 94. My other source of inspiration is Ed Iskenderian. He called me last week when he got in town for the PRI show and we had dinner together on Friday night. At 96 years of age he still has the energy to present one hour seminars on each day of the PRI show. When I dropped him back at the hotel on Friday night he was complaining about not being as agile as he used to be but I hope to be as fit as he is if I last that long.
    IMG_2592.JPG
    Roo

Stogy, AHotRod, Kan Kustom and 11 others like this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Ed is the coolest!

biggeorge likes this.