Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. squirrel

squirrel

I need to get my drawing board back from my son, or rig up a new one...I found a T square, and some velum.

sidevalve8ba, Deuced Up! and loudbang like this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Two people with tools and spares in the car also....this will be fun.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  3. gene-koning

gene-koning

Ya know, if the rear glass lifted, hinged at the front, and the trunk lid, the back panel, and the brace ahead of the trunk lid hinged back, like a pickup tailgate, it would make putting a whole lot of stuff in the back area pretty easy.

It sounds pretty easy.......Gene

Chavezk21 likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, but I also want to maintain the stock look of the body as much as possible. Including how all the glass mounts. Which is going to be challenging on the doors, but I think I can handle it. The windshield and back glass (plastic) will use the original type weatherstrip.

bobwop and brad2v like this.
  5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See here is the difference. I am about to start laying out a chassis myself but I am looking for a T square and some Valium! Lol. Go Jim Go!

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

belair and loudbang like this.
  6. You could split the quarters (right under the trim and up the sail panel and across the top ) from roof and make the whole hinged thing out of fiber glass and all one piece, deck lid included. Lots of trouble, very big solution to the "no trailer" problem. Probably save you some weight but I bet the 20 per pound doesn't fit. However a solution that both satisfies several "must have" items and delivers on preferences is naturally going to be a big one. Royal PITA to avoid a trailer but if you get bragging rights or special considerations for doing it without a trailer then it's something to look at.

Wish I could red line a photo.

image.jpeg

mad mikey likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

I just don't like trailers, in general. And hauling one behind your hot rod, just so you can go racing...I don't want to do that.

loudbang likes this.
  8. slowmotion

slowmotion

What if you extended the rear trunk edge to include the rear filler panel, & make the edge just at, or behind the bumper? Little extra opening space that wouldn't vary the stock appearance much, & give some needed loading access.

9. squirrel

squirrel

I think we already mentioned that idea, and it's probably what I'll do if I need more room to get tires in. I like the simple solution, best :)

10. slowmotion

slowmotion

I musta missed it Jim. This thread moves pretty fast for these old eyeballs...:eek:

henryj1951, loudbang and OFT like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, I have trouble keeping up, too!

henryj1951 likes this.
  12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You started it Jim....:D

henryj1951 and Gary Reynolds like this.
  13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

How was the rear window handled on the Hurst Hemi under Glass car? Was it stock mounted, or did they have it lift up to access the engine?

14. squirrel

squirrel

don't know. It's really hard to tell, from the pictures. Looks like you could climb inside the car from under the back, though.

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Now there's an idea....make them like a truck spare tire

16. squirrel

squirrel

I had that idea already...but it presents other problems. I'm not worried much about being able to fit the tires in the car, and it's too soon to be worrying too much about it. When I design the trunk floor, I'll make sure they can fit.

Mean time, I need to work on the frame design. I'm leaning towards 2x3 or 2x4 14 gauge rectangular steel tube for the main rails and crossmembers.

I'm also back to thinking that although it's not period correct, I really ought to put a 4 link in it. Some times, I have to go with what I know will work, just to get the project on it's way.

ratrodrodder, brad2v, fauj and 2 others like this.
  17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

o_O "Mirror Mirror on the wall" ;)

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

19. 8.50 cert cage back braces will eat up trunk space too plus they make the rear frame stiff so you want to run them quite far back. Roof rack for the slicks gets my vote. Leaves room for beer and tools in trunk.

mad mikey likes this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

I don't see any special requirements for cage back braces. Only two bars, not crossed, are needed to 8.50 if you use 1-5/8" tubing. They can be as far apart as the main hoop and rear frame will allow.

21. das858

das858

I've seen photos on the HAMB of the original Hemi under glass with the back glass out and the crew doing maintenance, it looked like the glass was held in with some tabs on the back edge of the roof and the front edge of the trunk. I can't find the photo I'm thinking of but I did find this. 1969-plymouth-barracuda-3.jpeg

22. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Roof rack

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

No roof rack. Sorry guys.

craig b blue, bobwop and 64 DODGE 440 like this.
  24. Times two on that one, buddy. That whole idea seems rather silly to me.

25. noboD

noboD

Jim, lexan is easy to form. I have bent it in a break several times without heat. It has a memory so you have to over bend it. Radius can't be too tight if you are going 90 degrees. I am betting you could run it through a slip roll to make the crown for the back window. While you are playing with Lexan lay a scrap piece on the floor and beat it with a hammer, won't break. I have hit a piece of 1 inch with a .45 slug and it didn't go through, just a big dent.

henryj1951 likes this.
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I tend to agree!

[​IMG]

mad mikey likes this.
  27. There's a big pin in the lower corner
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

I've also see one version that had clamping trim strip and screws around the perimeter.

Attached Files:

28. Well, I understand about the 4 link, but it's disappointing !
    I KNOW it's your project not mine, but I was looking forward to you mastering new tech, new parts and making them work. Don't blame you a bit, but kind of a downer.
    Please don't be pissed, it's just the way I feel.I respect your abilities and talents, that's what made this idea so exciting.
    OK I'll shut up now,

29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

As long as it has the look on the outside and going down the track/road, I wouldn't let it worry me that it's not 100% 1965 specs. It's not nostalgia racing, it's drag week, and going fast is the main thing, so a few more modern things thrown in for performance and safety is not a bad thing in my eyes.

brad2v, hendelec, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  30. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Problem solved...............................
    images.jpg

kiwijeff and loudbang like this.