Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The 1947 Krueger 16 Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

The 1947 Krueger 16 Roadster

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. alchemy

alchemy

I've never seen/heard of it before, but I like it. There are a few things different between the old photo and the new, but it is understandable if the dark car was modified during the years. I thought the grille in the old photo looked kind of like a narrowed 33 Ford with an outer shroud added.

3. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Excellent!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW very elegant and classy .

5. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

The gray car shown in the "new" photo is in a private collection. It is powered by a c. 1923-28 Model A Duesenberg engine ( eight cylinder/single overhead camshaft) and has a mid 1930s Columbia dual ratio rear end. The frame has been heavily altered and its kind of hard to tell what it started life as. Having seen the gray car in person many times, I do not think it is the same car as shown in the old photos.
    Thanks for sharing these cool old photos.

Weaverville Studios likes this.
  6. Squablow

Squablow

Built out of "standard American parts". Interesting phrasing for a V-16 Marmon powered car on a Duesenberg chassis with what looks like entirely custom made body panels. Not what I would consider standard.

I really like the home built sports car look of a lot of these early customs, I would very much like to build one. Seems like they never made a big comeback.

Hotdoggin DaddyO and Sancho like this.
  7. rubens

rubens

Is the grey one in the Netherlands? It got a Dutch license..
    Never saw it, I like the style but I think it's a little to short, sorry :)

Clay Belt and verde742 like this.
  8. verde742

verde742

ITS YER AVATAR I LIKE !!!!

9. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

They are the widest whites I have ever seen. Must take hours to clean those babies!

10. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

And you have to do the inside, too!

11. SR100

SR100

I'm pretty sure that the chassis was shortened. Here's a blurb about the car written by a dealer offering it for sale around 2012:
    "the Duesenberg Model A never achieved the recognition it deserves and was overlooked by custom coachbuilders and their flamboyant clientele. That lack of vision was not evidenced when this car was commissioned in 1933 by a Los Angeles connoisseur believed to have been Theodore Koslov. It is a sublime, sporting expression of the best ideas and concepts of the Thirties with sleek, low, narrow two-place coachwork with teardrop fenders and a graceful tapered boattail rear deck. Its coachwork and the tall, narrow raked grille are like the Alfa Romeo 8C 2900s of Pinin Farina, but it was built years before the 8C 2900 emerged to inspire Farina's vision. So low to the ground that running boards didnt need spoil the simplicity of its purposeful body, its Woodlite headlights and matching parking lights adeptly complement the grilles shape. It is an extraordinary example of the conceptual vision of its designer and the skills of the craftsmen who built it, a true one-off without parallel in the classic era. Koslov commissioned this unique speedster body from Bud Lyons Hollywood Boulevard shop. It utilizes a 1934 Oldsmobile hood and taillights but is otherwise completely originally built and done to very high standards. It is a particularly attractive expression in two tone light grey with dark red leather upholstery, chrome wire wheels and wide whitewall tires that complement the subtle body colors, Woodlite headlights and matching parking lights and a steeply raked, low vee windshield. The interior is dominated by a big leaf spring spoke steering wheel and engine turned dashboard with oval Duesenberg instrument panel. A Jones tachometer and switches are mounted in a separate engine turned console atop the cowl where it can be easily seen by the driver. Over the years this car has had a well known and documented history. Circa 1937 it was apparently owned by famed pinup artist Rolf Armstrong (described in American Weekly in a 1952 article as The Dean of Calendar Artists) who is pictured in it with one of his favorite models, Margery Crampton, in a book about his work. During or just after World War II the fabulous short wheelbase Duesenberg Speedster came into the possession of an owner named Krueger who is probably responsible for swapping its Duesenberg Model A straight eight for an all-aluminum Marmon V-16 with custom dual carburetor intake estimated at 225 horsepower. In 1947 it was photographed participating in the first Cal Club sports car races at Palos Verdes. Krueger was so taken with its design and performance that in the late Forties he proposed building a series of cars based on its design. During the Fifties it had several owners in the Los Angeles area, eventually disappearing from view in the early Sixties. It was featured in a 1973 Special Interest Autos article showing both its 1934 Duesenberg-power and later Marmon V-16 installation but without knowing its then-current location. As it turned out, it had been bought by Lew Behlman in 1962 then disassembled for restoration. It was acquired from Behlman by Charlie Jones, then from Jones by W.R. (Ray) Radford of Vancouver, Washington in 1979. Radford embarked upon a careful restoration to restore the Duesenberg Model A Speedster as close as possible to its original Duesenberg-powered configuration, acquiring a correct Duesenberg Model A engine (#1430) from James Bruckers Movie World collection in January 1979. He entered into correspondence with designer Strother MacMinn to find period photos of the Speedster which MacMinn took in the Forties and Fifties as well as to enlist MacMinns advice on the cars appropriate appearance. Noted particularly in the restoration by restorer Randall Johnson was the quality of the precisely fit and formed custom built body panels. The design, with sweeping teardrop fenders, shield-shaped grille mimicking the shape of the Woodlites, low-slung narrow body, dramatic vee windshield and boattail rear deck were dramatic in the mid-30s and is no less so today, a design that Gordon Buehrig, Fred and Augie Duesenberg, Pinin Farina or even Joseph Figoni would be proud to call their own. Its unique design, documented history and preservation are complemented by excellent performance and would be ideal for any of the many prestigious open road tours and events for quality, high performance, beautiful and rare classic cars. As well documented as it is, much of its history remains to be elaborated. With photo-documented early Cal Club racing history in the Palos Verdes Road Races it has a strong shot at entry in any event accepting cars with Forties racing history."

12. rubens

rubens

Whahaha!!! Thanks

13. I've always known this car as ' The Rolf Armstrong Duesenberg' that was built on a shortened Duesenberg Model A chassis but with it's use of multiple OEM parts it's not hard to imagine it being referred to as Marmon, Duesenberg or Kreuger. Good to know it still exists. The pix I attached show Rolf Armstrong with actress/model Margery Crampton. If you'd like to learn more about the great Rolf Armstrong, buy the Illustration Magazine issue #48 off of their website-90% of the issue was about Rolf's life and obviously art. The studio shot of Rolf is with model Jewel Flowers who was his primary model for 20+ years. Rolf armstrong Margery crampton duseneberg Model A.jpg Rolf armstrong Dusenberg Model A.jpg Rolf and Jewel.jpg

LBCD, Jonnie King and Squablow like this.
  14. The grey one had a Dutch registration as a "Duesenberg Speedster Cabriolet"
    Year of built as registrated 1926.
    Eight cylinder on registration.
    Registration no longer valid in Holland and marked as "exported"from the Netherlands.
    Last change of owner in Holland was in 2010.

Hennie

15. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

Looks like some of the cars Rick Dore has been building these last few years.

16. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Weaverville Studios ...
    You struck a responsive chord with me when you added these pix of Rolf Armstrong ! He is one of my favorite artists of that period of the 30's-50's. Never have seen him with that beautiful Duesenberg before...but really love it ! Class all the way...just like Armstrong !

I'm attaching one of my favorite paintings of his, it's called "A Winning Combination" and shows the "flying flags" of our WW II Allies all blended together. It was done shortly after the War in 1945, and was a calendar illustration. I have a copy of it hanging here in my house...it's just beautiful. Period.

Thanks again for the pix !
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

[​IMG]