Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Jim, I don't know what's allowed here, when you get to the track.
    How about lift bars , like the Thunderbolts had , but with a pivot bolt and a second pin that you slipped in at the track? Trying to think of something along those lines. Just first thought. Probably not the last .;)

2. squirrel

squirrel

I can do pretty much anything with the suspension. I'll probably end up in the Unlimited class...

3. By the time you add all the bracing to a mag dana ita as heavy as a regular dana. Thats why they only lasted one season in pro stock. They also had a mag 70 in dragsters thats a different thing all together.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Deflate slicks while in trunk. They get real floppy, and can be 'folded toward wheel rims'. Install and inflate at track...

loudbang and Straight30weight like this.
  5. squirrel

squirrel

That's a possibility....also a pain. I did that a few times to fit slicks into the trunk of my 55.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  6. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

Jim, if you plan on using the body for part of the structure, melting out the lead and welding the seams solid should help. Those seams are just tack welded here and there if at all. I've seen those seems with tack welds that missed their mark and the panels were not even welded together at all. I've also seen big holes blown through. Hey, it was the sixties.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    loudbang and warbird1 like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

Sounds like any other car from the old days! My 57 suburban was missing most of the spot welds on the pass side of the firewall...and my 57 truck that was made at the same plant about the same month, was also missing several. I guess quality control hadn't been invented yet.

62hotcat likes this.
  8. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That's a pet peeve of mine, you can't inspect quality into the product it has to have quality built into it! A lack of inspections throughout the manufacturing process will help tremendously where just inspecting the final product they will miss a lot of things that are then covered over! Sorry for the rant and back to the interesting stuff, Jim building a badass Cuda. :cool:

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

At the Bayerische BMW plant, 'inspectors' were said "to hold A&P licenses! BMWs were 'built to Aircraft Specifications'! Look at the BMW logo...see the spinning propeller?"
    Stories like this for first year 'associate technicians' abounded in first level classes at BMW school...:eek:

BurntOutOldMechanic likes this.
  10. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know, depending upon where and how you end the frame work out back, you could actually hide a receiver hitch behind the license plate. Then when ever you want, fold down the plate (hidden gas fuel neck style) and plug a hand built carry all platform into it. Like you see folks doing to haul a wheel chair scooter etc. Be a pretty quick and easy way to carry some stuff without actually pulling a trailer.

I was going to do that on the Austin originally...I even thought about designing a set of wheelie bars to plug in while at the track etc....

loudbang likes this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

I thought about doing that, but it's a last resort....I really like having everything inside the car. I even plan to put locks on the doors and trunk.

12. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

If you are gonna make the back glass out of lexan make it open like a 90's style Camaro it would give you lots of room to get in and out of the trunk area I know those trunk lids are small lol

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. squirrel

squirrel

neat idea....I probably won't do it, though. I think the trunk opening will be big enough, but it sure would be more convenient to open the window.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Two 16 x 33 slicks occupy a lot of real estate.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

redlineracer42 and henryj1951 like this.
  15. Looks like you’ll be in my neighborhood for Drag Week. Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bobwop likes this.
  16. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

can't wait to see it at ATL dragway, hopefully multiple times

17. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

I love this thread,my dad sold IBM selective typewriters out of a new 1965 formula S .

18. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Secure with dzus fasteners.

mad mikey likes this.
  19. squirrel

squirrel

I like hinges and latches...and locks.

20. Hinging that glass section would be a royal PITA no matter what way you do it.

33x16 slicks really fit thru there?
    Then 2 of them with wheel tubs ?
    I can't get 2 33x12.50 to lay flat in my 6' pick up and close the gate unless I pull the toolbox out.
    image.jpeg

21. a few observations
    *carp yea those tires will fit, especially when the axle moves forward
    *why would anyone modify anything to resemble a camaro
    *I don't care how the rear axle is mounted, that guy can handle it

Bondo Slinger and Gary Reynolds like this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You recall Jim saying something about putting the gas tank up front, right.
    And, let's say (someone) was entertaining making a fiberglass deck lid and they just happened to make a couple vertical cuts in that rear filler panel above the bumper, then let's say they extended that new fiberglass deck lid down until it clears the bumper.
    Hmmm, those steamroller tires might just fit back there.
    Just think'n out loud.

mad mikey and squirrel like this.
  23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Oh, I forgot, what if (someome) was making a fiberglass bumper with say an appropriate sized notch built into it that trunk lid could be made even longer.
    Yeh, that's the ticket.

24. squirrel

squirrel

I thought about notching the rear panel, and extending the trunk lid down. Not much to it, really.

But I'm also wanting to use a smaller tire, about 30" diameter, and 14" section width.

Waiting for a friend to call this weekend, so I might could go get a front axle. Then things can start happening.

porkshop likes this.
  25. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

There's definitely a coil spring and possibly an air lift bag on top of the axle. I'd like to see some better pictures of that suspension. But I see no reason to duplicate it for nostalgia's sake.

squirrel likes this.
  26. gene-koning

gene-koning

Having owned and driven a 65 Barracuda, I can tell you those slicks will NOT go through that trunk lid opening without modification. The G 70 14 would barely fit through the opening (and that was when my back was young and strong). The lift rear window would be the way to go. Frame the lexan, and hinge the window frame off the roll bar.

Now the rear structure has to be strong enough to support a pair of large slicks and wheels, that's worse then supporting a gas tank. That will be a compound problem if you want the frame work behind the axle lower to the ground if your not intending on cage support. You might want to look into running the rear frame work under the rear axle. Gene

27. squirrel

squirrel

I intend to trim the opening for the trunk lid, and lower the rear floor quite a bit...I think it'll work...

I called Glasstek today to get some weight and shipping info. They sell a formed Lexan rear window, it's a bit expensive but looks like something I want to get. Their doors weigh about 13 lbs, compared to 35 lbs for the empty steel door. Right around $20/pound for the weight savings.

I spend some quality time doing bodywork. This car does not need much. I mostly knocked out the dents at the ends of the rear panel. Because I might not cut it out. I also spent some more time staring at the rockers, where they meet the floor, thinking about where and how to cut it apart.

rear bodywork 01.jpg

28. "Compromize Cuda", building a hybrid like this with that tough goal for E.T and streetability won't happen with 60's technology and parts within reasonable cost. Jim knows this and will make the best out of it, he's way. I truly like he's approach and it'll be a blast to see the outcome. Them A-bodies rock, almost two decades ago I had similar barracuda with box frame, 4-links and 509cid, low 9's just under 800hp. It was not traditional build but just a side note here. Make that hemi big and go forward hearing the enourmous MoPar crowd cheering:cool:

dan31, mad mikey and squirrel like this.
  29. I tend to agree on the slicks fitting in the back,Mine looked like it would hold a lot, but the angle made it hard to get much in,The lower floor will help, but I'm sceptical on getting tires in. I really think you are going to need some chassis support way behind the axle, not so much for the strip but for the road. Can you put the slicks behind the seats with some tilting passenger seat deal? Don't know how extensive the cage needs to be.I've never even paid attention to Drag Week before! First reaction by my builder friend was "he needs a blown 426 and a 727 to start with".
    Figuring all the spatial relationships here is gonna be a challenge.