Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

2. jimdillon

jimdillon

Not sure if any of you followed the Bothwell auction that took place in mid November. Sold a bunch of cars and I believe the family raked in a total of 13 million plus. The 1914 Peugeot that I believe was the true jewel in his collection sold for $7.26 million-not bad. I am happy that they finally did what they could to straighten out the lineage of the car before it was sold. I remember early on the car was referred to as Rests's chariot. This was the Lutcher Brown car that Mulford drove, that was then bought by De Palma Manufacturing (and then took over by the Book brothers) and then eventually went on to Art Klein and then Bothwell (and maybe Joe Boyer before Klein took actual ownership??)

I had often wondered about some of Bothwell's other "racers" and see they were sold as cars built up as copies for the most part. Good they got the story straight IMO. Speaking of Cadillac, Bothwell had at least one Cadillac "racer" and maybe 2 of them. I could never figure them out but believe they were built up cars to look cool and have some fun with.

Bob, in regards to my articles, when I was researching auto racing years ago I would also research the early Cadillacs and the formation of Cadillac, since I had the 03. I do not believe GM has the history correct and have told them so. They will not change what is written I am sure-too ingrained in the written word. I did what I could and wrote a piece for the Horseless Carriage Gazette on the formation of Cadillac and the early cars entitled (Cadillac, The Early Cars and the Men Behind Them-Vol 69 No4 July August 2007). If you have not read it and want to let me know(PM) and I can email you a copy.

Here is a picture of Peugeot that sold when it was owned by the Book brothers at Indy in 1919 (with Art Klein behind the wheel. Cool uniforms with the script Detroit. The other car they ran in the 500 was the Detroit Special and they were pretty big on the city of their birth. After they gave up racing in 1920 they became heavily involved in developing downtown Detroit (mainly Washington Boulevard).
    Book-11r.png

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    davidvillajr and Old Dawg like this.
  3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

How did they make such graceful swept back exhaust pipes? I've been watching Pat Ganahl's thread on re-creating the Spalding Special roadster and even his master fabricator Marty Strode wrestled with the exhaust system to get it just right. I continue to marvel at the expertise those craftsmen of that era displayed.

4. jimdillon

jimdillon

I agree that these guys had some real skills. The more I researched this era the more impressed I became. I have a VHS tape of Myron Stevens who did the metal work on the Millers in the 20s and some in the 30s. Most of the metal work done on the Millers during this era was done by him. I believe he said that the first set of headers he made for the Miller straight 8 in the 20s took him 40 hours and he made them out of a flat sheet (I will have to dig that tape out and see if my memory is half way accurate). If you look at some of the headers he made (in the Indy museum for instance) they are works of art IMO.

Old Dawg likes this.
  5. The37Kid

The37Kid

There is a tape of Myron Stevens doing some metalwork using the hammers he hand forged using Model T Ford rear axle shafts, guess he knew were to get good steel.

The other gem in the Bothwell collection for years was the Ira Vail Hudson from the 1919 Indy 500. D. Cameron Peck bought it off a Philadelphia used car lot in 1948. I've had the paperwork for the car since the early 1920's when Vail sold it to H.D.Carpenter. Car is in Korea now in the Samsung collection. Bob

[​IMG]

Old Dawg likes this.
  6. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Jim, I have that same tape. As a metalshaper and fabricator, he is a hero of mine. I have no doubt that I am not qualified to run the broom if I was around in that time...

7. noboD

noboD

Hey Bob, did you ever know the Dodge Brothers made those axles? Oh yea, you knew that.

8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I believe the "secret" Ford had was he was using a chrome / vanadium alloy. Tough.

9. jimdillon

jimdillon

The tape we reference was made in conjunction with the National Auto Racing Historical Society (which I belonged to and no longer exists). He also signed some blueprints of the Stutz Blackhawk which he fabricated a good portion. I got one of those copies and hung it in my shop. It recently fell off the wall and broke the frame.

I am one of his biggest fans.

10. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

That tape was also sponsored by the Machinist's union : at that time I was a member & that's how I got my copy. Small world, isn't it?

11. Years ago when I was young and dumb, an old racer told me: "Son! If you worry about the cost of your race tires, you'll never become a good driver! And you shouldn't bother about entering your car!" In those days a new race Dunlop or Pirelli was about 50 bucks. Now the cheapest tire on my race car is $411 (75 bucks for the tube).

12. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

06B60318-42CF-455E-A7D9-99447CFC86B9.jpeg

Had this photo for years. Seems sensible to share it now.
    Wondering how much these would cost...

Old Dawg likes this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]Does anyone in California know who has the remains of this car? I need to buy myself a birthday present and start another project. You can keep the engine. Bob

14. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

You probably know this car has a bit of a history... ;)

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, that it is why I want to find it and bring it back to its glory days. All I need are the remains of the frame and body, someone tucked away these bits, finding that guy is the challenge. Bob

16. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

THIS ISN'T MINE... IT'S FOR SALE .... DON'T WRITE TO ME PLEASE. I GUESS MY POINT IS THERE ISD STILL PRETTY NICE AND REAL CARS OUT THERE. I DID TAKE THIS PHOTO SO PERHAPS THE PHOTO IS MINE. Strange that title....

diller.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

So what are those Ralph Lauren hats or what? Don't think that fad lasted long. Gary

Old Dawg likes this.
  18. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

SEVERAL PLACES SOLD THEM

FUNNY HATS FADE? LASTED FOREVER I STILL HAVE A FEW IN MY COLLECTION ALONG WITH THE PRESSED PAPER PIT HELMETS.... ONE HAS A COUPLE CRACKS WHERE IS SAVED MY SKULL!

Old Dawg likes this.
  19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^^^ I do have a pith helmet, much more reasonable looking but still not wide enough for Bville, IMHO. I got mine in the USN while stationed in Panama. I don't know if they are still available thru uniform stores, but perhaps the surplus stores might have some. Or perhaps from some other nation's militaries? Or on the web. I just checked and they are all over the place. Gary

PS I don't have a FSN, but the inside of mine has the following nomenclature. Stay cool!

HELMET, SUN
    DSA 100-2102
    8415-161-4773

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

I offered to wear one of those hats if it would help locate the remains of the car.:);)

Bob

21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Those look like some "wild and crazy guys" :)

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] That is a lot nicer than I thought it was, first current photo I've ever seen. That old Ansen Special has to be out there some were. Bob

23. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

LAST TIME I LOOK IT STILL WAS OUT THERE ... THIS WAS RACED BY SEVERAL INTERESTING PEOPLE.

HAVE YOU SEEN A PHOTO OF A GENUINE MILLER DIFF?
    (NOT YOU BOB)

Attached Files:

kurtis, Old Dawg and biggeorge like this.
  24. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Apparently Mark Walker has cast new blocks. Hopefully we'll see the Darracq back on track in the not too distant future. FB_IMG_1513739950039.jpg

25. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

26. jimdillon

jimdillon

Kurtis, pretty cool picture of the Golden Sub taken probably in 1917. Brain is working slowly apparently as I just thought the picture you posted was taken 100 years ago. Here is a picture I took of the recreation by Buck Boudeman that I photographed at the Milwaukee Mile several years ago. The car is flat out cool IMO. 14-Sub-MM2.jpg

Jet96, wicarnut, kurtis and 1 other person like this.
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

I remember the "Sub" when Buck first had it at Hershey, it caused a lot of talk. All in all my opinion on clones has somewhat changed, I'd rather see and hear them than know there is a pile of parts in a barn some were. :)Bob

kurtis and 64 DODGE 440 like this.
  28. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

29. jimdillon

jimdillon

Bob I agree with you and if the truth be known there are more than a handful of race cars that are disguised as original when they are little more than recreations. It is amazing what one can do behind closed doors with a story to match. I would rather see the cars and maybe just a tad of honesty to go along with it (such as Bill Castle and the amazing job he did on the Baby Chevrolet). I appreciate the product of Buck Boudeman although some still smart from the stories he attempted to tell. I did tell Buck when I first saw the car in the mid 80s that the smoke from the exhaust was a bit much and he did tighten up the clearances but he did a beautiful job overall and he is to be commended IMO.

If the caretakers of many of the race cars were fed a dose of sodium pentathol I am sure the stories may take a turn or two. In the meantime though I do appreciate the cars that are being restored. Better get off the soapbox.

lurker mick and kurtis like this.
  30. tarcoleo

tarcoleo