Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ackerman Angle with Aftermarket Steering Arms

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gimpapotamus, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Gimpapotamus

Gimpapotamus

Im working on getting the front end of my Model A set up. Running an original A axle thats been dropped, split A bones, and 37-41 spindles. I scooped up a set of Super Bell dropped steering arms to clear the bones. My question is... How do you properly account for and set Ackerman angle when using aftermarket steering arms?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. gotit

gotit

The acerman angle is set by running a line fron the center of the king pin to the center of the rear diff. your steering arms need to run in the center of that line.

3. Gimpapotamus

Gimpapotamus

Yes sir. I definitely have the understanding of Ackerman. I apologize if I was unclear with my question. Im wondering what I would do with the aftermarket steering arms if the Ackerman angle wasnt correct when I bolt them on. For example shimming them or heating and bending them in or out so that I could correct Ackerman if need be. I would rather ask questions now before I go screw something up.

Thanks again

4. trad27

trad27

Any good FORGED steering arms I dont see a problem in heating and bending them. But cast ,wich would be stupid for a steering arm anyway, is a big no for bending.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Most of the good aftermarket arms have reasonably close ackermann designed in, so you bolt them on and go. I've never seen the need to heat and bend them, except down to give some wishbone clearance, and they heat and bend pretty well.

I think you could potentially do more harm by heating and bending them than by just leaving them alone and going with the preset ackermann. I say "potentially" for fear they are heated and cooled incorrectly.

Don

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

If all you need is a minor adjustment to get the ackerman right, you might be able to grind a little meat off one of the threaded bosses to change the angle of the dangle.

7. hotrawd

hotrawd
    from lima,ohio

Most of the bolt-on arms that I've installed seem to be designed for a longer (115" or so) wheelbase. On a car with a shorter wheelbase,such as a Model A, I simply shim the arms inward. Just make sure your bolts are long enough if you need to add more than an 1/8" shim.

8. Close enough is good enough, for Ackerman.
    As long as the tie rod is on back, no problems.

thunderbirdesq and bct like this.
  9. sunbeam

sunbeam

RICH B and AndersF like this.
  10. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. butch27

butch27

That is awful !!

12. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't even begin to imagine how crap to drive that truck must feel. Shocking understeer at any speed!

Chris