Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help 34 ford top

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rick matell, Dec 5, 2017.

1. rick matell

rick matell

have a 1934 ford convertible and cant get soft top back up its about 2" to short from windshield ..tried everything sat on seat and pushed with feet another 1" but still wont touch windshield where it screws in ..it was up and fine when i got it but put it down to clean ..there is 3 crossover bars on roof the back one and the next one are fine but the third middle one floats up and down ..any help would be great.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

not familar with that type of top,but look to see if the mechanism has flipped over from center,hard to describe it but see if it has somehow gone over center,the top did work before?I would put it down and see if it will fold in another direction,it has to work if it did before.see if a bolt or pin has come loose or fallen out,Does it unhook from the rear shelf,are there any brand names on it,maybe google the manf. Good Luck

3. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This looks like a glass bodied car. Did the top ever work properly? I can't see in the pictures how the top is attached at the rear well area. Maybe it needs to be unfastened from the rear, attach the front mounting points first, and then pull the rear down to the body and refasten. It would be easier to pull down to make the attachment than to pull forward and do it.

4. What GordonC sez works for me
    Do you have a before pic?

5. If you washed it with it down then it probably shrunk the material. Wash the top with it up and let it dry before you lower it again.

6. rick matell

rick matell

the last picture is before i put the top down

7. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One other thought was how cold was it the day you tried to put the top up? If you let the car sit in the sun with the top up like in the pictures you may find it will expand enough to allow it to snap into place. If not then I would try heating it with a hair dryer to get it to relax a bit and then try attaching it. If it was up before and fit without any problems before being stowed it should go back up with a little heat and some assistance.

8. rick matell

rick matell

thanks guys must be the cold a buddy and i finally got it done my passenger door now sticks a bit lol

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That doesn't look like a 34 roadster to me, it looks like it might be a Street Beasts car (Shudder)
    If it is it might resemble a 34 Ford but it most certainly is NOT.
    If it is a street beasts car then it no surprise that you are having issues with it.

RICH B likes this.
  10. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Have two, both all steel with one being exactly as Henry built it and one a street rod. Exactly what part of the top irons do you need a picture of?
    Dan Z's two 34's 008.jpg