Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical buick straight 8 ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51 below, Dec 5, 2017.

1. 51 below

51 below

New to the site very first post a lot of cool information on here glad I found it. Has anyone ever put the Weber IDF carburetors on a Buick inline 8 with success? Was wanting to try dual carburetor setup essentially one barrel from each carb feeding one port on the head. i imagine you can get any engine to run with any carburetor with the correct fuel-air mixture just not for sure if these are practical for driving. We cruise this thing a lot pretty much every weekend in the summer and sometimes during the week City and highway driving. Open to other options and opinions thanks so much

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Welcome to the H.A.M.B.! A fair number of threads on here about Buick Straight 8’s.

If you use the search feature (the magnifying glass icon at top of the page) you can review some of them. In general terms I agree with your thoughts on using two dual throat Webers, though I do think they (and any other multi-carbs) would work best with a so-called balance tube between the manifold branches. There was a recent thread on that particular subject as well.

Ray

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

4. 51 below

51 below

thanks for the welcome Ray. i see your from quincy..? im just over here in new berlin. i keep telling my self that it ran fine with the one 2 barrel and stock intake....but wheres the fun in that right.

dana barlow likes this.

5. 51 below

51 below

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yep...Quincy..........on my way East on I-72 that is a usual stop to hit the rest room at the convenience store ;)

I have a couple/few Buick 8's now and have had others in the past. Currently '38 & '41 Special coupes and a couple of 263" engines that need to find there way into those cars.

What model do you have and what are your plans for it?

Ray

7. khead47

khead47

Do a search on the web for the Bonneville car " Bombshell Betty " Baddest straight 8 ever.

Donuts & Peelouts and 51 below like this.
  8. 51 below

51 below

51 2 door special. 263/ 3spd. Ive had it just over a yr. Redone the interior all my self...even tackling making my own covering for the seats. Just cleaning up the engine bay everything is stock. planning to open up and polish the head ports a little. I'm in the process of fabricating a header for it and then moving on to intake if I decide to do multiple carburetors. Just going to keep the body stock no cutting or channeling anything like that I love her curves just the way she is. (except the taxicab looking tail lights they put on these buicks). may do a little surgery in that area. Planning on at least putting disc brakes on the front and would love to get rid of the 3-speed and sliding automatic in there. Don't get me wrong with three on the tree still cool but after cruising it for a few times in the town and show cruises it blows. And of course the nice slick two tone paint job. oh........and DRIVE DRIVE AND DRIVE IT some more. lol Unfortunately I have a rich man's vision and a poor man's wallet so i pretty much do all the things myself as i collect the coins to do so.

Hnstray likes this.
  9. 51 below

51 below

10. '51 Roadmaster

'51 Roadmaster

Looking good. Be sure to have a good, hard look at your hood latch assembly.

51 below and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Well Rich, you can't just lay that out there and not tell us more about it! Come on man, spill the beans! ;)

Hnstray likes this.
  12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I've been eye balling (nice term!) a 40 coupe that's for sale locally, in great condition. I may end up joining the Buick Fireball Club.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

That is a photo I sent to the customer to show that I was working on the fuel injection I was making for his 320 Buick. I never took a picture of it when it was finished. But it is pretty much the same as this except twice as long. PS 40 Buick is one of my all time favorite cars. Do it and keep the straight eight. v4.JPG

14. Come on in!

Ben

Hnstray, Clay Belt and Blues4U like this.
  15. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Thats a nice car. From my experience I would think long and hard before putting Weber carbs on that engine. Of course I would be unlikely to remove the manual trans too.

16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a '50 Special fastback in the late '60's with a 263 and a stick. With the Buick "Sonomatic" radio, it was great road car. I'd keep the stick too. Does anyone know if a 320" Roadmaster engine would bolt into a Special? I think that would be even better! I usta race against a guy who had two rickety old track roadsters with those engines in 'em. He'd bore 'em out 1/4" (!!!) and use Intl Harvester tractor pistons for 356". Add in some homemade hi-lift rockers an 5 Stromberg 97's and you had one fast machine. Rumor was that one of those cars killed 3 drivers over the years. Speed has it's price.

17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

WOW! A 52 BUICK that ran 166 MPH at Bonneville; who would believe that was even possible. A few weeks ago, on that auction site we all know and love, was a rear engine dragster, powered by a Buick straight eight; it was only running in the 12's on a 1/4 mile drag strip, but it was originally built for Bonneville. There's a class for just about anything at Bonneville. I am Butch/56sedandelivery

18. gggholson

gggholson

[QUOTE="tubman, post: 12338570, member. Does anyone know if a 320" Roadmaster engine would bolt into a Special? [/QUOTE]

320 will not bolt into a Special or Super. 320 is a longer block by several inches. Larger series Buick's (Century and Roadmaster) had longer hoods and fenders.

Hnstray likes this.
  19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's good news! The last thing I need is another project.:eek:

I imagine a hotted up 320" would put a hurt on a 5-bolt transmission as well.

Hnstray likes this.
  20. 51 below

51 below

yep hood latches are all great on this one ...both sides. now my step dad just go him
    50 super 4dr not to long ago and the hood basically fell off the car when we popped it at the sellers house. The car had a tarp strap hanging on the front for insurance down the highway.

21. khead47

khead47

I seen Betty run at Bonnie in 2010. What sweet sounds she made !

22. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

51 Below love your ride! Wish my body was as clean as yours looks. I too did my interior and headliner. PITA. Just finished a power front disc brake conversion. Another PITA and expensive but happy overall with the improvement. I am hoping to finish and post a write up on my disc brake conversion experience soon in hopes that it will save others time and frustration. Almost done with a homemade shroud too. Welcome aboard! The people on here are awesome and lots to learn.

23. khead47

khead47

Betty.

Attached Files:

Hnstray likes this.