Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 42-48 Ford parallel leaf spring.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dangerous47, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Dangerous47

Dangerous47

Looking to pull the trigger here on a bolt in leaf spring kit. Was going to ue the chassis engineering kit' but that doesnt look to be an option anymore.

I cant find much info on the Posies kit' or the weedetr kit. Looking some personal experiance. Its going in a 47 big door coupe' flathead/t5 and a 8" diff.

Pic attached is the stance I am aiming for.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

mgtstumpy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

I’ll bump this up because I missed buying mine from CE as well.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. dpin

dpin

Great stance. I’m in the same boat as you, it was a shame about CE. Following

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

From personal experience I'd give Weedeater a look. I don't think any of the other kits are a user friendly as the CE kit was with the possible exception of TCI but I don;t know if they make a 46-48 kit?

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Check with some of the rod shops, there be a chance they may still have some CE stuff still in stock.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have had good luck with weedetr as well. Loved CE-too bad they shut down-bought a bunch of their stuff recently but no leaf spring kits--bought 4 sets 0f mtr mts for a chevy in 35-40 chassis and a sway bar.

7. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I use the TCI kits which are no longer available from them. I think Speedway Motors bought the rights from them but not sure. I prefer the looks and parabolic springs of the TCI units. I have used Ce several times and would search some shops that were dealers, like Roy Brizio Street Rods.

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Bought mine from speedway and it pretty sure it’s the TCI unit. This was a good 5/6 years ago however.

I’ve heard nothing but good about weed eater stuff.

-as a side not that car has a raised Front crossmember to get it that low so make sure you do that before you stuff the motor in there or you’ll never get it that low up front with a spring in the car ;)

Dangerous47 likes this.
  9. I think that car was featured on here and is on lowered stock suspension. If I'm wrong about the feature, it can still be achieved with a transverse spring front and rear.

10. topher5150

topher5150

Speedway has the TCI kit for $569 #910-40642.
    Does anyone know what size shocks CE uses on these kits?

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

No but I could measure them on the car?

12. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

Dangerous47 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

There is a set on here that are cheap. You can purchase the springs from several sources.
    20161022_155458.jpg
    See the For Sale Parts section.

14. I think the CE rear shocks, were initially early fifties Chevrolet pickup. I may have the info somewhere at home, but I'm not there now.

15. Texas Eli

Texas Eli

https://www.weedetrstreetrod.com/ looks to be the new go-to source for this sort of stuff. Not sure why the decision was made to shut CE down, I'm really hoping somebody is buying it!

Eli

16. patterg2003

patterg2003

I have tried several times to access the Weedetr site but have no luck past the homepage. The on line catalog does not work and all I get is a dead end text menu. I was certain that the products section was working when I was look at parts a while ago.

17. I found when you click on a product item, it opens farther down on the page, and you just need to scroll down to see the choices. Pictures are small and look the same, at least in the '35-'40 rear suspension packages.
    Bought a front sway bar for my '47 a long while back and was happy with the parts and service.

18. Texas Eli

Texas Eli

I thought the same thing at first, turns out it works, it just doesn't render correctly. Scroll all the way down, the menu tree stays at the top.
    https://www.weedetrstreetrod.com/ec...uspension/rear-suspension-for-41-48-ford.html

Eli

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Remember, that when trying to get to the ultra low look, like with example car, you need to be able to turn the front wheels.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

21. zzford

zzford

I used to have a 47 two door. I made my own using pinto rear springs and fabbing up the brackets. REAL easy and cheap. Don't remember what shocks I used

22. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

We're working on the new website,so please be patient. The old one does still work by scrolling down through the product list.

23. patterg2003

patterg2003

None so blind as those who won't see. I scrolled down and can see the items. Thank you.

24. Dangerous47

Dangerous47

From the research I have done the rear is a paralell leaf setup with a 9", the car runs a 350/350 combo. Raised crossmemeber as you said. Along with a reversed eye spring and a 5" Drop axle. (Although I think that may be a typo).

I am hoping I can make up for the 3 or so inches' or close too it, by making longer shackles as I cant move the cross member since I am staying with the flathead.

There was a guy local to me who had a car sitting the exact way I want mine, and it was flathead powered. Unfortunatly he sold it, and we lost contact.

Thanks dave! Your build looks rite along the lines of what I am looking to do! I will be following for future updates! Looks good!

Is there any sort of rule to follow when doing this? Or just trial and error?

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

most modifications are trial & error even if working on seemingly identical cars - my '47 had reversed eye main spring, all de-arched with 2nd from top and 4th from top leaves removed - using gas tube shocks that were designed to work on the rear of a mid 60's & later Vette - running 15x6 rims with 205/60 tires - as best that I remember - rode good and tires had just enough clearance not to rub when turning - of course, always have to use caution with dips in road, etc - do not have pic of car at my finger tips to show

Dangerous47 likes this.
  26. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

I have used Chassis engineering rear leaf suspensions on my 1940 Fords. Loved them. I think CE used Dodge truck front leaf springs? Easy to fab mounts with springs. Any one else know spring application for 1940 Ford CE rear spring kit?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

olscrounger likes this.
  27. Gman0046

Gman0046

Used a CE rear end parallel spring kit and a 10 bolt Chevy rear end on my 46 Ford convertible. No complaints.

olscrounger likes this.
  28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good luck and keep us posted. I think @flatout51 48 is about as low as you can go with out having zero suspension travel or teeny tires with out doing some major surgery. His has a 5 inch drop axle as well.

You run out of space for things to move real fast when going low with these fat cars

29. Harland grunder

Harland grunder

30. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

, which adds it's own problems