Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found a 1947 chevrolet fleetline....should i ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GREASER815, Apr 17, 2011.

1. GREASER815

GREASER815

I am debating on what to do. I found a bone stock, 1947 2 door Fleetline. I can drive it home, 6 in a row, 3 on the tree, original interior in good condition, no rust anywhere, second owner. The car is beautiful, thing is I am stuck on building a 50's taildragger style custom. I know these cars are huge in the lowrider scene, but do they fit the bill of a 50's custom? I have searched on here, but not many examples to look at. Either they are hard to find or not that popular. No pics yet, I wil as soon as I can. POst some pics if you have any or give me some input. Thanks

mitch 36 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

ummm yes....but im partial to fleetlines:). checkout my 50. chopped 3.5" and in the midst of 4" section.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Virtually all old cars from the 50s back can fill the bill as a 50s custom...just depends on what mods are made. Some look better than others, that's all.
    That said a 42-48 Chevrolet Tudor is as good a candidate as a 42-48 Ford, Plymouth, Studebaker, Nash, Cadillac, and so on.

anothercarguy likes this.
  4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

There is a tread about the 51 Montebello car show. Check out the photos.

5. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Well I think those are great. These cars have never got much attention from the California car magazines except as lowriders, so a lot of guys don't know that they're SUPPOSED to be cool. Me being a crusty old fart, I don't listen to the California experts much.

Now this is the 2 door Fleetline right? Because the 4 door Fleetlines of 42-48 ain't even cool among the nurseing home set.

I have had several 47-48 Fleetline Aerosedans and never finished one one because some body comes along and buys it before I'm finished with it. Right now I've got a 48 that has to be moved (along with most of my tools) about 350 miles before I can start on it.

To answer though, yes they make great traditional customs.

6. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

What if we all say no? your gonna passs up a sweet car. Get the car home then ask questions. Always works for me that way.

7. hell ya, go for it.

8. 'Mo

'Mo

What do you think?

[​IMG]

Molded rear fenders would be the cheese.

This Plymouth grille looks great, and might be easier to find (than the Caddy).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

www.chevybombs.com or www.inliners.org<cite></cite>

My 46 Olds will be however SBC with 6x2 Fauxsmobile power. OEM trim with wood grain interior, OEM 2 tone paint with column Hydra-matic and low on bags. :D Horses for courses so they say.

10. GREASER815

GREASER815

'Mo, you hit it on the head with thoses pics. All I can sem to find is lowrider style cars and they really do nothing for me. But, seeing one done in traditional style, I think I need to go buy it. Thanks for the input guys.

11. 'Mo

'Mo

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

13. I think the Fleetlines are awesome, especially done up 50's style!!
    Go get it.

14. I just brought jebo's thread back to the top.Check out how cool a Chevy sedan can look as a kustom!

15. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

I personally do not think that the particular year in question looks good as a custom myself but to each his own.. some wide whites slammed on some 4 or 3 bar caps slammed looks clean and fleetlines cater to both hot rod and lowrider if done right in my book. Heres mine changed the L78's and caddy caps to some 14 inch rims and tires with tri bars. Waiting to get the white walls buffed out and put the visor on it. post pics of your fleetline ... I am going to probally sell mine to get me a 47 and earlier 2 door fleetline

Attached Files:

16. TwoLaneBlacktop

TwoLaneBlacktop
    from Burien

Hack it, Whack it, and make it your own !!!!

17. Rikster

Rikster

Here is another angle of the car Mo posted. The car a 1947 Fleetline was built by Riley Collins. These cars don't need to much to look perfect as a mild custom. Lowered with a slight tail dragging stance. Chrome removal, custom grille, like the 1948 Cadillac grille on this car spotlights and skirts and the right choice of hubcaps on wide whites and your done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. 'Mo

'Mo

This beauty just got posted in the Mild custom thread. How can you say no?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  19. GREASER815

GREASER815

Well, going to see it this week. Sometimes these people take their sweet time. The guy who told me about it was mistaken, it is a 2 door sedan stylemaster. 100% original, except the 216 was gone through by a local engine shop. Doesn't have 2000 miles on it. It is a get in and drive it home car though, so already planning on what to do with it when I get it home. If it is as nice as they all say, I will grab it. Same owner last 40 years, I am pretty stoked to see it. I'll let everyone know what happens.

20. srylemaster is a completely different car than a fleetline...I personally find them stodgy looking as opposed to the sleek fleetline. That said, they look ok slammed..I guess

21. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Depends on what year Fleetline you're talking, Rock. There were four door Fleetlines in '46, '47 and '48...as well as thru the early '50's...not all Fleetlines were fastbacks...the early Fleetlines were known as Aerosedans.

R-

22. NICE RIDES..THIS IS ONE WE ARE WORKING ON RIGHT NOW..AND SHE IS UP FOR GRABS..
    [​IMG]

23. JMD82

JMD82

Well...did you go see it??

24. my50chevy

my50chevy

where is the link for the 216 forum? thanks

25. My profile pic is my start point. 47 Fleetmaster Coupe. Turned maple brown metallic and she's starting to look pretty sweet. Will post some recent pics soon.

26. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

^^^^ You may want to start your own thread.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  27. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Style Master, Fleetine/Aerosedans, and Fleetmasters, correct?

28. That 47 Fleetline is a sweet ride regardless. I'd say go for it and you won't be sorry. Also, I was interested in that link to the thread on 216s.
    Right about the models available.
    See here for more comprehensive info -
    http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/models/1947models.htm