Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects In Over My Head

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 59 Chev Apache, Nov 20, 2017.

1. 59 Chev Apache

59 Chev Apache

Wowza! Looks GREAT! This is jumping ahead for me because I have a lot to do before I get to the mechanical stage, but what did you choose for the front suspension?

2. belair

belair

Mid seventies Camero/Firebird. Lux blue (do a search) did a great thread on the clip.

3. 59 Chev Apache

59 Chev Apache

Ass Hauler My New Little Truck?

4. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Keep up the good work, you’ll be there soon. 348 going back in?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. 59 Chev Apache

59 Chev Apache

That's the plan. Was the 348 a factory option? Thought they were all the 265(?) straight six

6. squirrel

squirrel

59 pickups came with either the 235 six, or the 283 V8. 348 was used in big trucks, not pickups.

APACHE FS likes this.
  7. 59 Chev Apache

59 Chev Apache

Hi, Jim! Didn't know about the 283. I got a major hankerin' for the 348 w/3 deuces. There is (or maybe was) someone here in the Valley who specialized in W heads. Saw him at the Goodguys in Scottsdale a few years ago.

8. squirrel

squirrel

That would be fun! A friend has one of those in the 55 Chevy (car) that his brother built in the early 60s.

20160625_093732.jpg

kiwijeff likes this.
  9. 59 Chev Apache

59 Chev Apache

Nice! I passed this one up some years ago. Knew I was far away from getting to the mechanical part of the project
    IMG_1950.JPG

10. belair

belair

Don't remember the title, it was very detailed. He may still be at Crushproof in Austin. I had a 58 in the late 80s with a 348. It wasn't original, and it loooved gasoline.

11. 59 Chev Apache

59 Chev Apache

I'll try to find it. When (not if!) I get my '59 done, I won't care about gas. My goal is to spend down my retirement nest egg so my kids won't be TOO happy when I croak! (Although the boy may want the truck. I'll put in the will that he has to have it professionally appraised and give his sister half of the value out of his share of the estate!)

pat59 and squirrel like this.
  12. 59 Chev Apache

59 Chev Apache

Just did a member search and he hasn't posted since November of 2013.

13. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

I misread, I thought you already had the 348. I have come real close to that twice. Even had all the mounts and stuff together.
    I do enjoy the six since most have been swapped to SBC now. I do have a GMC 302 waiting now for a little more grunt in the 6 banger category.
    Did your floor pans line up okay? I helped a buddy with his 59 and some of the ribs weren't exactly in the right place on the new stampings.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

14. 59 Chev Apache

59 Chev Apache

I'm pretty pleased with it. The ribs line up well. Just wish it had had that lip that supports the tranny cover.

15. 59 Chev Apache

59 Chev Apache

Almost there! All it took was a couple of clamps and a piece of scrap to get rid of the sag:
    FloorPatch10.JPG

Seams all welded. After they're ground down, it's on to installing the driver's side step:
    Floorpatch11.JPG

kiwijeff, TFoch, Baumi and 1 other person like this.
  16. Looking good, it'll get there.

17. 59 Chev Apache

59 Chev Apache

Thanks! Got the Jalopy/HAMB attitude now, and having fun again!

18. 59 Chev Apache

59 Chev Apache

Done with the floor patch. It's as good as it's gonna get. The ribs didn't match up exactly, but whatcha gonna do?
    FloorPatch12.JPG
    Next up is the driver's side inner cab corner. It does NOT just slip into place. It consists of two pieces spot welded together and there is no way to get it into place without drilling out the welds and dropping each piece into place separately, then welding it back together.
    CabCornerInner1.JPG
    This also happened when I did the passenger side cab corner and step some years ago. When I drilled out the last inner cab corner spot weld that attaches it to the body and frame, the body snapped out about a half an inch! Had to rig up a ratcheting cargo strap to get it back into place.
    CabCornerInner2.JPG
    Same thing happened here on the driver's side. (Doesn't say much I guess for 50's era manufacturing practices!)

TFoch likes this.
  19. squirrel

squirrel

I think they put the parts in a jig, then welded them. It makes sense that it would pop out when you drill out the welds.

They were not built to be works of art, they were built to be trucks :)

20. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

oooh whats the whole car look like?

21. squirrel

squirrel

22. 59 Chev Apache

59 Chev Apache

23. squirrel

squirrel

I met Jim around 1988, he moved back up to Minnesota about five years later...and he moved back down here a few years ago!

24. 59 Chev Apache

59 Chev Apache

Been pokin' around your "fabulous web page." You are one creative, talented dude! The TV coat is insane!

25. BatRestorer

BatRestorer
    from New Jersey

Quitters never win and winners never quit. It's going to come together. Eye on the prize.

kiwijeff likes this.
  26. 59 Chev Apache

59 Chev Apache

Thanks! Feeling like I'm really back on track thanks to the support and encouragement I've been getting. Don't know how long it's going to take, but my goal is to post a video of the first time I fire her up! (Hmmm. Can a truck be a "her?")

27. Sure can, Nellie Bell. 1965 F250 4X4 Hi Boy.

28. Cool truck, keep at it!

29. Looks like your doing a fine job. Don't over think it, it's only metal, and if you mess it up, you can cut it out and redo it, learning as you go.
    I'm Keen to see it done with the 348, so I'll be watching to see it come together.

30. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Glad to see you're back on it, it's easy to 'get lost' in all the jobs that need doing. Just concentrate on one, get it done, then do the next one, plug away, you'll get there. So will it be manual or auto? I have a 348 in my 40 mated to a T5, one day it will be a really nice ride. (one job at a time...)
    Re the 348, they're not getting any cheaper, if you see one at the right price, it would be worth grabbing.