Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oil pan conflict with tie rod and steering drag link.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jeff Young, Dec 4, 2017.

1. I am installing a freshly rebuilt 1949 ford flathead v8 in a 1941 ford frame. Engine oil pan (center sump) I'd directly over steering rods preventing engine from dropping down to engine mounts. Frame has 4 inch dropped axle and three front leafs removed from spring. Have read a '48 - '52 Ford truck pan or the '49 - '50 Merc pans with rear sump may be the solution. Looking for help deciding - pros and cons and gotcha's, as well as any help on sources. Thanks

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. I'm solving my problem with these. Maybe they'll work for you too.

20171204_103759b.jpg

20171204_103732_Burst01b.jpg

3. I have a stock engine in my car with a dropped axle and spring, and it clears fine. They were rear sumo stock, so if you get a rear sump man for your 8BA, it should fit fine

4. flatjack

flatjack

Either the truck pan or the Merc pan should work. They are almost the same.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Why are the steering arms above the wishbone on a 41? The tie rod should be under the wishbone.

LM14 likes this.
  7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Running an 8ba in my '39 p/u. Using a truck pan with no issues.

8. 33rag

33rag
    from Pa.

I'm running a truck pan in a 39 coupe,dropped axle,all is well.I have one extra message for info.

9. Because it has a 4 inch drop axle

10. Thanks

11. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

I agree with Thunderbirdesq, the steering arm and drag link should be under the wishbone. With the 4" drop axle you should be using dropped steering arms or bend the stock steering arms to clear.

thunderbirdesq likes this.
  12. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

There is a lot of info. on the web about heating and bending your steering arms. Not a big deal if you have a torch and some hot rod savvy. good luck.

13. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Oil pan swap or not, the steering linkage needs to be under the wishbone. Even if the pan clears in mock-up, there needs to be adequate clearance for the suspension to cycle fully without contact between the steering parts and the pan/chassis. Hit a large bump, or god forbid, have a spring or shackle failure and the oil pan is potentially laying on the steering linkage. Not good...

14. Thank you for the input. I am going to take your suggestion and rework my steering linkage before I do anything else. Who knows, I may find I dont even need to change pans once I get my linkage in the right place. Will just need to do some research on my options to do that and try to get it right this time.

thunderbirdesq likes this.