Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods White wall tires or not

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roder1935, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Król

Król

White walls with painted, full hubcaps, and always with Kustom cars. Black walls always with Mag wheels. Otherwise what looks best for you.

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

IMG_0812.JPG Can't remember the last car I've owned with WW tires. Blackwalls and steel wheels rule. My 64 Biscayne.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Elcohaulic likes this.
  3. hammerd 31

hammerd 31

What are you looking for BADASSS or pretty...

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

no question for me.... whitewalls

olscrounger, Paul and ct1932ford like this.
  5. Latigo

Latigo

Go with whatever your wife likes. Happy wife, happy life.

TagMan likes this.
  6. belair

belair

Blackwalls look tuff, whites look cool.

7. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the white walls but like HRP said, rears appear too wide. Either way you go, your not going to be wrong on that car. It's killer

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Briefs.

belair and TagMan like this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like them both and if it came right down to it I'd have both sets and swap out depending on the mood of the day and where I was going with the car that day.

I'm seeing guys up here in the PNW that mainly run a set of radials and alloy wheels but have a set of steelies and bias tires in the garage for Billetproof and other more traditional events. Wheel change and the whole attitude of the rod changes along with it.

belair likes this.
  10. He Shoots! He Scores!:rolleyes: I agree HRP (hay that rimes) :p That car looks much more traditional with the white walls. Just get some narrow rear wheels.:cool:

11. Kenny P

Kenny P

Black for "Hot Roddy".
    Whitewalls for "classy".
    Either way she looks great!

12. all the cool kids have white walls:):cool: DSCF0004.JPG IMG_0875.JPG

13. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

On that car, Blackwalls!

14. j3harleys

j3harleys

I like white walls on every thing.

15. I am thinking that the rear is too wide- not the tires...
    Wheels with different back-spacing would solve that problem.

16. firingorder1

firingorder1

White walls definitely.

17. I won’t weigh in on the rubber choice’s but cannot help but comment on how great looking of an A Bone that is...

18. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

White on black or crome

19. GeeRam

GeeRam

I'd also go along with this.

ct1932ford likes this.
  20. roder1935

roder1935

1128172021a.jpg Thanks for everyone s input just as my own family the hamb family has a lot of different ideas
    I had the white walls on there while building the car and was planning on running them but the rear wheels looked to wide for the tire so I bought rear rims that fit it better but before I got the white walls mounted I purchased some new black walls when I put them on I stood back and fell in love with the new look Usually I like the look of W/W BUT this really worked for me then I got mixed reactions from my boys just as I got from you guys thanks again black walls for now

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  21. tb33anda3rd likes this.
  22. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

The BW’s IMHO look better without the beauty rings.

23. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

That is a great question about white wall tires. Most new factory stock cars came with white walls in the standard production order form. When the car arrived, if you did not like the white wall tires, most people just flipped them around, so the white wall area was facing inside and could not be seen. In a few weeks or months, the white wall was dirty enough to blend in well.

For most, the white wall part was difficult to keep clean for daily drivers. In the late 50’s and early 60’s, those chrome curb feelers were popular to help keep the tire away from the curb when parallel parking. But, if the marks got on the white wall, a little SOS or Boraxo took the dark marks off of the white walls easily.

upload_2017-12-5_9-2-58.png
    We originally had white wall tires on the 1958 Impala from the factory. We hand lettered the tire company imprint on the black part of the tires with chalk, then later on, white model paint, to make them stand out.

As the years went on, the white walls got thinner and thinner until they became narrow, white stripes. (not the band) Finally, the narrow white stripes disappeared and the white lettered tire company names and sizes were what started getting popular.
    upload_2017-12-5_9-3-37.png upload_2017-12-5_9-3-48.png upload_2017-12-5_9-4-12.png
    upload_2017-12-5_9-4-32.png upload_2017-12-5_9-4-43.png upload_2017-12-5_9-4-54.png
    Jnaki

The white wall tires started disappearing until the revitalization of the old 50’s style hot rods and customs took a big swing back to the original look.

For my original 40 Ford Sedan Delivery, it was blackwalls and beauty rings on black wheels. Blackwall tires were less expensive and fit the low cost budget of teenagers. But 90% of the teenager’s family cars had white wall tires.

So, it depends on what hot rod or custom car you have or are driving. Again, everyone has opinions and this is one of many.

Ron Funkhouser and cactus1 like this.
  24. having had WW (and pinner ww) on cars in the past, the black walls just do it for me... I like the black rims & black walls on the Model A... but I'm now bias... nice car you have there.. ok that's my 4 cents worth now ... LOL
    LYONS.jpg

olscrounger likes this.
  25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I can’t imagine what my T would look like without whitewalls [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

It would still look great! I don't dislike WW's, I think they're great, but that T would look great regardless of the tires on it.

27. That one was even taken at The Whitewall-Rama Hot Rod show!

28. .....and what is the date for the 2018 show?...........

ct1932ford likes this.
  29. I like the whitewalls.

Side note I like the carb. scoops facing back better then forward!