Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nostalgia Drags August 2017-Queensland

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by spanners, Aug 17, 2017.

1. spanners

spanners

Yep, we've done it again. Travelled up to Queensland for the Crusin Magazine Nostalgias last weekend. We drove the 800 plus kilometres for this event. Some of my mates at work can't believe that I would drive 11 hours for a series of runs that are over in 14 seconds. That's racing I suppose.
    Because Jeff and Steve have moved to Queensland to live, we had 5 racers this time. Me, Benny, John, Steve and Jeff.
    First qualifying run was against John with me doing the usual 60ft tyre-fry which resulted in a 14.2. Second run was against Steve with a 14.3. Both of these runs were with a plus 2 second 60'. Third run was against Jeff. The 60' was 1.896 and the run was 13.791. My wife asked me if I should be drug tested but I told her the car should be. Back in April I ran 13.9 and thought that was good. A 13.7 was to me, bloody good from a 60 year old, 138 cu.in. engine. It made dialing in a bit tricky. A couple of videos of that run to peruse. The last one is a drive-thru I did with my reaction at the end.

That last video probably looks like an American drag strip but that's the nature of Nostalgia days over here.

Crosley likes this.
  2. BS!

BS!

It was really good to see a decent turnout for the class. Gotta say that little grey motor sounds unreal. Good stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. bobw

bobw

Yep, sounds a lot bigger that it is and you are getting great performance out of it.

4. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Thank you, thank you, thank you. For a variety of annoying reasons I'm reduced to internet spectator at the moment, and your vids're not only fun, but a comfort as well.
    So ...... thank you. :cool:

5. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

thanks for the videos.... From the sounds my hearing aids pick up. I'd say you are winging the engine a bit higher in the revs? The Engine sounds like: it likes it

6. spanners

spanners

Due to those lovely replies I'll put some more up. This next one is an example of how not to do it.

Do you wish to elaborate, Dick? Physical, mechanical or none of my business?
    This next one is against Poppa John. He didn't make it easy for me either. I'm not used to chasing.

Crosley likes this.
  7. spanners

spanners

Another one.

Benny chasing me. Ran 13.89 on a 13.80 dial.

Crosley likes this.
  8. bobw

bobw

Good entertainment.

9. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Recent commitments in the float hobby've taken a turn for the worse, and are keeping me hopping all seven days of the week now. Should play out in another month or so, and I'll make Eagle and Barona come hell or high water anyway. :cool:
    At least I'll get a week's break early September, as my wife has had a trip to the Corso Zundert parade cast in stone for some time.

So keep the fillum coming as you may, and think kindly of me whilst you race. :D

10. spanners

spanners

Alright, time to end the suspense. Getting close to the finals.
    Benny and Jeff last shoot out.

Then it was time for the finals. I say finals because for some reason they run an 'A' and a 'B' final. Jeff and Steve in the 'A' final and me and Benny in the 'B'. Jeff and Steve don't get to race each much so it was on.

Jeff broke out so Steve took the win.
    Benny was after retribution as I've either beat him or his car has failed the last couple of times. Here was his chance! The tension mounted, the revs built up, the crowd was on it's feet, the lights counted down. We're off! Well I was. Benny broke his gearbox. The time said 17 seconds but it probably seemed a lot longer to Benny.
    Thanks to everyone for watching and for your compliments. This weekend is round 5 of the championships at Sydney and 2 weeks later Gunnedah. The following weekend is the Six Banger Nats at Warwick , Queensland with the Saturday after that, Round 6 at Sydney. Probably 2500 kilometres (roughly 1600 miles) for a few seconds of fun. Are we mad? I hope that's the reason. Hooroo.

Black Knight Racing likes this.
  11. spanners

spanners

12. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

Sorry I didn't get to catch up with you Pete. I had the worst dose of flu on record. Only did 2 runs and went home to bed

13. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

I've just been talking to Matt about their car. It appears to have been suffering bad fuel supply problems for a long time. The engine would fall flat around 4500 rpm. Fault found with the fuel intake to the pump too small. Look out now you guys.

14. spanners

spanners

I'm not too worried. Benny still has to get it to the end of the track under it's own steam first.:D:D

Black Knight Racing likes this.
  15. bobw

bobw

Ohoh, sounds like some good-natured trash talk beginning

16. spanners

spanners

You know how it is. We're all good mates until those start lights count down.