Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '41 Chevy Vacuum Shift, how to remove

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southerncad, Dec 3, 2017.

1. southerncad

southerncad

A friend just got from an Estate a '41 Chevy coupe with the vacuum assist shift unit, and of course you can hardly shift it now. So what all do you have to change out to eliminate the vacuum shift unit? I know way back when, there used to be a kit to do so, but can't find anything like it now. Any help/info will be greatly appreciated.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. greybeard360

greybeard360

Check and see if it getting vacuum to it. Then use a hand vacuum pump to see if the vacuum chamber holds vacuum. Process of elimination... Then worry about doing something to replace all of the linkage.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ClayMart and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

From The New Thompson Repair & Tune-up Manual 1935-40.....

Vacuum Shift-01.jpg Vacuum Shift-02.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. greybeard360

greybeard360

Chevies of the 40's has a kit... a shift rod and lever for the trans is $150.00
    They also have some of the parts to fix the vacuum part, which costs a lot less !

Scooterville likes this.

5. southerncad

southerncad

Thanks for the replies, he must of missed the kit from the Chevies of the 40's....he even has a new catalog....no fixin' stupid I guess;)

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Decades ago J C Whitney had a replacement shift arm (maybe a rod too, don’t recall that specifically). Anyway, $150 seems like a lot for a lever and rod. Time being money though, maybe the easiest, most cost effective, way to eliminate the problem.

Ray

7. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

^^^ $150 seems outrageous for what you get. Inflation I guess - I replaced my vacuum shift with a readily available kit (I bought mine from Sears) for $5 - but that was a long time ago! Did you try E-pay?

8. My first car was a 1940 Chevy with the vacuum shift assist. I was only 15, so what Dad said was gospel, whether I wanted it to be or not. He said the vacuum had to go. And go it did. I doubt he spent any money to do it. I am thinking probably different shift rods. Probably just went to the salvage yard and picked it up. With all the cars with engine/ automatic swaps, some one on the board must have what is needed.

Ben

john karl and Hnstray like this.
  9. southerncad

southerncad

OK, can anybody give me an idea as to what linkage has to be changed, so that we can start sourcing the parts? Any help is really appreciated, as this thing is a bitch to shift:mad:

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Been several decades since I messed with one of those things. IIRC, the vacuum unit only works with 2nd and 3rd gears. The vac unit is removed and the 2nd/3rd shift shaft needs a replacement lever and the steering column shift arm for 2/3 needs a rod to connect to the new shift arm at the trans. Fabricating the arm, and the rod, should not be especially difficult. The low/reverse arm can offer some guidance for what is required.

Ray

11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy