Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest We're About 75 And Still Building (Join In)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PHIL COOPY, Nov 30, 2017.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's always great to learn that some of the old birds are still kicking it. Gives me hope. Hell, there was a time, when I didn't think I'd make 30. Glad I straightened up.

2. oj

oj

I'm thinking 70 is the 'new' 50. I toured a shop recently where the owner was 78 and his Auburn Boattail won Amelia island after he spent 11 years building it, he also a '59 Fuelie Vette is near finished for the second time (the first time the lift broke and the car dropped to the floor), a WWII jeep he is 3/4 done, a '35 Ford Roadster that is in his paint booth for body & chassis paint on a cradle he made. All cars get the same attention as the Auburn. He does all the work and his shop is near operating room clean, a true master.
    [​IMG]

LBCD, Kan Kustom, biggeorge and 5 others like this.
  3. You guys are my heroes! The family keeps thinking I'll slow down one day, no chance if I want to keep up with you. Plus, at the rate I finish stuff, I can never die.

4. Phil has a few years on me, good for him that he's still at it. I've got to finish up my '40 and then get started on the roadster. Though a back issue has put a halt to things for awhile, I hope to get that fixed soon and then get back to the garage. Of course, in order to get all this done I need to retire first...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  5. bubba55

bubba55

Dang - Hot Roddin must be the fountain of youth ! - Yous guys Rock On !

Kan Kustom, biggeorge and fordflambe like this.
  6. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Girlfriends Father is almost 80, still works on his 47 Lincoln, 60 Lincoln etc. He has slowed down these last few years as he is taking care of his aunt, visits her at least 3-4 times a week. She will be 101 soon.
    He still managed to rebuild the hydraulic windows in the 47 by himself.

7. 72...soon be 73. Still kickin' and having fun with cars... AMERiCARNA 2017-19.jpg

8. Midnight340

Midnight340

I am 71 and in the last 4-5 years have rewired, re-plumbed, and rebuilt just about every system under my '50 Ford F-1. Just picked up some 18 ga. to weld in a few rust patches as I'm getting ready to do a new "old stock paint" look finish. Have been driving this F-1 for 25 years and it runs and handles better than ever. (Right now it sits in the shop with my 1973 XL350 Honda cafe/tracker/hot rod strapped in the bed.) [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

AHotRod, Rodshop, Kan Kustom and 7 others like this.
  9. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

Hard to believe I am in this group. Seems like just the other day I was working on my '40 Chevy back in the late '60's. A street driven "hot rod" in the midst of the "muscle car" era.

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

LMAO chopnchaneled .... As you know "chicks" like "topless rides".

11. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

This is a GREAT idea for a thread. The wheels may turn slower as the years go by. But NOT the "hot rod" desire that has been in me since I built "model cars" as a kid.

12. IMG_0297.JPG IMG_0459.JPG I drive my Henry 1932 cabriolet highboy almost daily and at age 70 still drag race the Deuce.Car runs 80 in the 1/8 mile running a semi-built flathead with a 3:89 Detroit locker and only using 2-3 gears.Great fun: Flatheads Forever! I have over 55 years hot rod flathead experience and hopefully have many more left.

13. elba

elba

I am 70 and have 5 Corvairs, 1966 Ford Econoline P/U, a 1949 Dodge Panel Truck, 73 Bug, Rampy Wheels 013.JPG and an airplane that I am using IMG_20130515_114749.jpg IMG_20140515_151625.jpg CESSNA 317.JPG to teaching my Grandson how to fly .

14. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

A few years ago I was down in Florida helping with my mother's care (she turned 98 a few weeks ago) and my birthday is close to her's. I think it was 71 or 72 for me and I was feeling weird about the number. My cousin and I went to see the Garlits Museum again for a pick me up. We were luck enough to be there when Don offered a group tour. After spending a couple of hours listening to him and just following him, it was nothing less than the most inspiring day of my life. If you want to know how to age well, try to get the chance to spend some time watching, listening and being around him. One of the most amazing people I have ever met. When it was over, I sat in the parking lot and asked my cousin if he experienced the same thing and we just sat there in silence. I have tried to not waste a single day after that day, even if it is only staring at my hot rods and counting my many blessing.

15. Król

Król

73 here, I feel you have to keep your body and brain working. Have a 62 Corvette that I restored in the 80's and 56 Chevy mild custom that I did from 2001 to 2013. I'm now working on a 1936 Chevy pickup. Wife says no more but I still have a dream car. IMG_2002.JPG IMG_1887 (1).JPG

16. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Some great insperation here. I turn 71 tomorrow and have two garages filled with a couple drivers and several project cars. I hang with a bunch of car guys, but I am on the older end of the list. Several friends didn't make it this far, so I am greatful for the time to do this. I better get out there & back to work.

17. Still building sure as hell beats watching TV

Ben

18. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Bump..new title.

19. chopped

chopped

72 next week , sat and dream drove the Chevelle for a while today does that count?

Kan Kustom and biggeorge like this.
  20. I will be 68 in a couple weeks so you guys are giving me the inspiration I need when everyone I know, including my 93 year old Dad, is asking when I am going to stop playing with these old cars. A very close friend of mine who beat colon cancer before the age of 50 told me something we should all remember and I tell everyone - a body in motion stays in motion. Another friend who lived to be a few months short of 100 and he had a hole in his s heart, when you feel tired or stressed, sit down, relax and get back to it when you feel better. Stress will kill you faster than most diseases. We do this for fun, it relieves our stress levels so we can enjoy life.

AHotRod, hendelec, Kan Kustom and 5 others like this.
  21. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

It sure as hell counts....the dream is still there.

22. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Getting ready to turn 73 and took my deuce 5 window to the upholstery guy today. I'm still turning out a customer chassis about every 2 weeks and have several in the wings to do. I have 4 finished deuces to keep up and a 3 year old Corvette convertible to enjoy. I'll keep the chassis business going as long as someone will hire me and I am able to do them. My wife says no more cars but I have accumulated a lot of the parts for a deuce roadster pu based lakester that Thom Taylor did a rendering for me in 02 that needs to be done. I'll just start on it quietly in the shop then when it's mostly fabricated it'll be to late to quit. I sit down a little more these days to rest but I'm still getting it done.

Kan Kustom, biggeorge, OFT and 2 others like this.
  23. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my 70's start in a couple of months and I am having a ball doing stuff like my V8 vair

24. Allmotor

Allmotor

75 and still at it. Work 5 days a week at the shop and then come home and work in my home shop. Finished a frame off in May on a El Camino I purchased in May of 2016. Currently updating a friends 37 Ford coupe. Also looking for my next project.

25. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

73 next month. Nearing the end of a 55 Sunliner build and then back on my 40 sedan project.

Kan Kustom, biggeorge and fordflambe like this.
  26. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am very inspired seeing how so many of you older guys are still going at it. I may "only" be in my mid 50's but I gave up TV a long freakin' time ago to spend the time I have doing what's important to me. I'm actually an internet (namely Hamb) junky but at least I get to play "director of entertainment" when I'm not in the garage or the foundry.

27. I'm 72, have built 4 airplanes and on my 10th car, presently rebuilding the OT 70 funny car I built in 1971. Ya gotta stay busy or you'll rust out like an old car!!!
    funny1.jpg
    DSCN6927.JPG IMG_3526.JPG
    IMG_1288.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    AHotRod, LBCD, Kan Kustom and 7 others like this.
  28. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Phil...

Congrats to you...and all of the others Posting on this great Thread ! We're all in this together...age is just a "number", and those of us Posting here are too busy to even think about it slowing us down !!!

Like I always say: "I've got way too much to do ! I'll still be busy 'til at least three days after I'm dead...so please leave the lid on my coffin open !"

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Kan Kustom likes this.
  29. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

30. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I'll join in, I'm in my 80th year probably done building but you never know! Right now have stumbled onto a small business detailimg engine compartments that keeps me in the garage so I think I'm good for several more happy years fooling with cars. Ralphie

Kan Kustom and biggeorge like this.