Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Flexseal on running boards

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobj49f2, Dec 2, 2017.

1. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Has anyone used Flexseal, the stuff they advertise to seal a boat or gutters, on running boards. I've never used the product for anything. I'd like to know if it would hold up being used on a running board.

I bought a set of running board forms used for making fiberglass running boards. What I plan to do is build new board out of steel and then use these forms to cast the rubber covers. 1202171320a_resized.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Should work. But that's going to be a lot of Flexseal.

3. You're gonna need a release agent. I'm not sure how flex seal bonds or releases.

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jugornot and dan31 like this.
  4. indyjps

indyjps

How about bedliner, UPOL raptor or gravitex, or other brands, is a known product thats been used in this application with good results. Raptor is bedliner, gravitex is rock guard with a finer texture. Ive shot them both and the texture seems to be the only difference.

Id hate to see flex seal fail and have a mess. If you wanna guinea pig it, let us know the results.

golferforpar likes this.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ever look in the bed of a pick-up with spray or roll on bed liner? It will always look dirty or it does to me.

Elcohaulic, Jugornot and RMONTY like this.
  6. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

runningboarddwg001x.jpg I thought Flexseal might be the way to go because I can get it at my local Menards but I just checked Rapter. I can order it from the Walmart website for the same price and it's a two part product, probably more durable. Now I just have to figure out how much I will need. I know the thickness of the coating I need, just have to do the calculations.
    View attachment 3734569
    Anyone know of a good release agent for either product?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  7. I don't think any of these products will peal off well enough to use as a cover. As mentioned you will need a release agent of some sort and a pretty thick application to get anything strong enough to use like a running board cover not to mention they will be upside down so you would have to be able to bend the edge back 180 without ripping to be able to use them. Seems like a lot of work and probably expense for questionable results. Not at all what any of the above mentioned products are designed to do.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lurker mick and golferforpar like this.
  8. golferforpar

golferforpar
    from Wisc

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. golferforpar

golferforpar
    from Wisc

10. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I just wanted to know if anyone had used Flexseal and what their results were. In the Flexseal commercial they show their product being poured into a metal pan and after hardening being pulled out as a thick slab so I would think there has to be some kind of release agent that will work with it.

seabeecmc likes this.
  11. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

For what it is worth-
    I used it on a rain gutter seam on my house, it worked good so far.

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Maybe you should buy some and try it.

13. indyjps

indyjps

Depends on the product, the raptor i shot in my truck bed 8 years ago holds a semi gloss finish and doesnt get the ground in dirt look. I agree a lot of them look like tar.

Bobj49f2, sorry, I missed the part about using a mold and casting a cover sheet. Thought you were asking about applying directly. Interesting.

14. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

My buddy put Flexseal on his running boards. He put on 3 coats. It seamed like the top coat got a little hole where the foot scraped it. He used the car for one season. It was not outside for long periods of time. It was original looking in appearance.

15. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Maybe I will. Actually I am but thought I'd tap the wide range of knowledge and experience of the HAMB and get response from a few who might have used Flexseal and have had it on their running boards for an extended period of time. When I do start my test of the product, or any product, I'll prep a piece of metal the same way I am planning to prep my new running boards, apply the product and then place it in a location where it will be exposed to different weather conditions, wear traffic and sun exposure. I probable won't have time to conduct the test for maybe more than a couple of months there for that is why I am seeking experience from other who may have been using the product for the same purpose for a longer period of time.

This is information I am seeking.

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  16. The problem is spraying it on existing running boards and being able to spray and then pull a full running board cover off of a mold are worlds apart in terms of product performance.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Leon Sandcastle likes this.
  17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I`ll see the car this coming weekend and will take a picture and post it. .

18. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Why is this? Not asking to be a smart ass, just trying to find out as much information as possible. Sounds like you have experience molding products.

The forms I got were used to make fiberglass running boards. The person I bought them from had a few of the fiberglass boards laying near the forms. They were thick and heavy. I can't imagine a genuine Buick person ever using these boards for their car. Only ones to use them would maybe be street rodders.

19. I'd try it on something else and see how it does with peeling off. That way you'll know it's ability to be used in a mold.

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. southerncad

southerncad

How about contacting Flexseal?

21. Slopok

Slopok

They use wax paper to release fiberglass, maybe that'll work???

22. oldolds

oldolds

Bowling ally wax is the traditional release agent for do-it-yourself molding.

23. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

My thought: You may stretch the skin you form when you peel it off the mold. As noted: just a thought worth at least every penny you paid for it.

24. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm all in on the bowling ball wax..that flex stuff is tough..do it in layers depending on flash off.....cool thread

25. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I figure I would get a more honest review from the H.A.M.B.

26. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I would give it a shot... use the gallon cans and pour it in...making sure it will not stick..you should not have to fill them full..... I would think 1/2 - 3/4" would do fine..

27. oldolds

oldolds

You could make some strips with machine screws in them. Bury them in the rubber so you can mount the covers. We are now adding a degree of difficulty for more bonus points!

28. wutnxt

wutnxt

I used Geocel 4500 (black) Roof to put the rubber covers on my ‘40 s running boards. It goes on with the consistency of Silicone which means you can work the covers around instead of the one shot you get with contact cement. Once it sets up you’ll never get ‘em back off

29. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Go Bob, go
    I'm interested in how this all turns out

30. Sorry not trying to say your idea has no merit I think it could work I just don't think Flex Seal is the answer. The biggest issue I see with it is it is not designed to be applied in the thickness required to make a matt. It is an air dry product so it needs to be exposed to air to cure and pouring it out to 1/4" or greater depth is not going to allow that to happen properly especially on the ribs in the middle of the board. The top (technically the bottom) will cure first and skim over making it difficult for the inside to properly cure. They recommend multiple thin coats for exactly that reason so each coat has some exposure to air. It may dry enough but I would think it's strength will be compromised as almost all air cured products are when applied too thick. It's like applying enamel paint too thick the outside dries and the inside stays soft for a very long time.

I would imagine genuine Buick people use the already available rubber covers.