Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nice Little Goldmine in Canada

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lead Head, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Lead Head

Lead Head

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CTHEROB%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} span.keywordclass {mso-style-name:keywordclass;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I’m not much of a story teller but here it goes.
    Last year the guys from my club and I heard through the grapevine that a car guy up our way had died. Rumor had it that he became a recluse and a major packrat. He use to build bikes and cars that had won a number of awards back in the 80’s.
    Apparently after he died his property was raided and a lot of cars and dozens of old Harleys were stolen. However the property had been reposed by the bank and they and then sold to a real shady character. Long story short he decides to sell off the cars and parts and level the property.
    We got in there and picked up truck loads of parts cheap. Mint grills, a complete hemi, bike tanks, frames, trim pieces, bumpers etc.
    Worked on the trunk of a dead 53 Buick for almost an hour, Found two complete grills with all the teeth wrapped up and the front hard to find moustache piece.
    We sucked the place almost dry but before we could go back and start cutting off door tops and back windows for chops he scrapped the remaining cars.
    We shared the wealth with a lot of the local car guys, Good news is that we saved a lot of cool stuff from being scrapped. I got a pair of stainless <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Biarritz</st1:city></st1:place> rear quarters for 40$. I have no idea what I will do with them but they look great hanging on the wall.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Enjoy the pics

Attached Files:

2. Lead Head

Lead Head

Few more pics

Attached Files:

3. Only a gearhead could appreciate what a wealth of cars and pieces the old boy had.At least you and your friends had a chance at some of it .
    Too bad you never got to hear the old owners life story it would been interesting.
    Take care ,Rob.

4. I would love to rummage around that place!

5. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Looks like some cool stuff

6. slammed

slammed

Good for you guy's saving what you could!

7. L79_Acadian

L79_Acadian
    from canada

The guy that has the place now is no worse than Duke was. Didnt Duke starte out life as a cop and ended up as a clubber (1%). I wonder why most of the cars in his yard wern't wrecked? And the cars were sold without ownerships.
    :confused:

8. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

IS that an old Benz cowl ??

9. jambottle

jambottle

Is that Duke Deadmans place? any pictures of his old dragster;first flathead powered(igot the 4 carb manifold of it)then hemi powered(i got the 6x1 manifold of it.)I did not know he died.
    He sure was case!RIP DUKE.

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

Yep thats whose place it was...got to hear about over the phone from Leadhead last year....kinda wish I had still been in Ontario for that one! Cool pics bro, post some more if you got em!

11. havi

havi

There's the wrecker bed I've been looking for, lol....at least what's left of it.

12. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Good ole' Duke Deadman's place. "Duke Deadman" was this persons actual name. Somewhat of a recluse for his whole life and marched to his own beat, smoking his corn cob pipe. He was a very interesting/strange dude to say the least. Was there a HD there with the name "Iron Duke" on the tank? The '40 Ford P/U had a skid of marble in the box didn't it?

Duke actually started his life out in the Military as a dispatch rider, then motorcycle police officer then biker......

You should have seen what he crushed many years ago in Toronto when he lost his storage. He wouldn't sell anything, hence; why everything he had was/is decaying back to the ground....

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  13. Man, the Duke Deadman stories will never end. I had a friend who used to drive Dukes heavily chopped and channeled Deuce coupe and his chopped radical 51 Merc when he was 16, anyone remember the Deuce, you probably all had a decal on your toolbox in Ontario with it on it. This was the Karbelt Speed and Custom Logo car, very kool! I hang out with a nephew of Dukes, he didnt even know him! Funny concidering that Brandy drives a Deuce too...

14. Saltman10

Saltman10

I sold Duke a 41 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet in 2001. The car was running and all there. I delivered the car to Duke outside of Windsor and he drove it on to his place. Does anybody know what happened to that car? I don't know if he still had it when he died, but I would be interested and getting it back if it is still in tact. Here are some pictures of the car as Duke received it.

Attached Files:

15. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Talk about a Smorgasbord !!!
    Wow..
    Cheers..

16. Hey Leadhead, how does one get banned after 23 posts? Kinda makes you a character in your own right!

17. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

cool! nice to know stuff like this is still around with the government going in and making people clean up their yards nowadays

18. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

Man, cool stuff gets crushed everyday.

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Most of that stuff was stolen. Most of what he had was stolen. He was a dirty cop until he got kicked off the force and never got any better.

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

Haha I asked him the same question !

21. Anyone know if Duke had a channelled full fendered 32 Ford pickup with a hemi and Duke's Garage on the door in 1964-66. A friend's buddy had it in either 65 or 66. I remember riding in it and the logo on the door.