Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods QUESTION FOR THE GASSER ERA EXPERTS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Todd's Rod's, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Todd's Rod's

Todd's Rod's
    from MInnesota

I have looked in several places Gasser Wars book etc. If I painted flames or laced my gasser would it be offensive to the purist and the gasser community? Trying to emulate the last few years of the gasser sensation. I know that no one spent any money on paint just speed and power, however one solid color just doesn't do it for me, what do you think?

Attached Files:

2. Champscotty58

Champscotty58

Preface: I'm no expert.

I think you'll find a wide range of paint schemes in the latter years of the gasser sensation. However, if the solid color paint job doesn't do it for you, paint whatever on it you want that does do it for you. Just my opinion.

3. I'm not sure where you heard that no one spent money on paint or making their gassers look good.

There were many beautiful gas class cars built.

Mick

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

We are no longer in the "Gasser Era". Do what you want.

squirrel likes this.

5. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Watson was panel painting and laying flames in the 50's and nothing screams for a panel paint job than the lines of a 57 ford! I would lay out the panels and spray them in say a light blue metallic and then lay out a pinstripe flame pattern and spray medium blue over that. pull the stripe tape and you have a late 50's through out the 60's custom paint job. And yes most will say that gassers did not have custom paint. But what if Larry Watson had been drag racer as well? It is your car. So make yourself happy and the hell with the so called experts:rolleyes:. Larry

Todd's Rod's likes this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Exhibit A

[​IMG]

catdad49 likes this.
  7. slowmotion

slowmotion

If it did, I'd just say fuck 'em. It's yours, you can haul coal in it if ya wanna.
    Cool Ranch-a-roo ya got there!

8. Todd's Rod's

Todd's Rod's
    from MInnesota

YOUGUYS ARE GREAT!!!!!Thanks for the input I will post pictures when its done.

wvenfield and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  9. 327Eric

327Eric

You need to watch the Jackson Brothers ''Gasser Files'' video, for many examples of painted cars, and the general fun factor. The Gas Classes ran all through the 60s, with many different looks. My Henry J will be Psychedelic with Cragars, just the look I dig. I'm sure it will piss someone off, and I wouldnt have it any other way.

Todd's Rod's likes this.
  10. Paint away! The ONLY reason cars "back in the day" were plain or in primer was lack of money.
    EVERYBODY wanted a cool,20 coats of lacquer miles deep paint job.
    Go here a take a gander:
    http://georgeklass.net/gassers.html

Todd's Rod's likes this.
  11. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

Who gives a shit.. It's your car, build it like YOU want it !!

12. rfraze

rfraze