Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Retirement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oilguy, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Oilguy

Oilguy

I frequent a retirement discussion forum as a guest. A thread was started asking members what they do with their time in retirement. I am so lucky to have hobbies such as working on and driving my old cars and building things in my shop. I have had coworkers who were reluctant to retire as they did not know what they would do with their time. I have more interests than time allows. And you do not have to be rich to piddle around in your garage making things with wood, restoring old bicycles, getting an old car on the road again, etc. But you do need to be fortunate enough to have your health. I retired at 65 and wish I would have done it sooner. Shoot, I would be entertained scanning the HAMB all day.

Attached Files:

2. tractorguy

tractorguy

God bless you .......keep working the plan that fits you !!!

3. Hope you have a long and happy retirement. You definitely have the proper attitude. Got to stay busy.

4. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I retired at 60 and haven't regretted a minute of it. Keep busy with my old cars and motorcycles. I may not get much done but keep busy. Figure I will do as much as I can while my health holds out.

5. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Retired in 2012. Don't know how I had time to work! Retirement is good if you have things that take up your time.
    SPark

6. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

I have 10 more to go with the town.I,ll be 67 then. Started in my low 40s so thats why.If my health is okay then I will have plenty to do.I have enough stuff for artwork alone to make it till then.I dont need alot to live okay and am not gonna move to FLA.
    The only thing Id like to have by then is a grandchild or two if possible.I have seen a half dozen people I know die this year and some really should not have if they would have paid attention to their health better.Cancer Blows!!Good kick in the ass for ME.
    I have also seen older guys hold out as long as possible and get 40 plus years under their belts. Trouble is one guy died 1 1/2 years later and the other has been so sick they never got to enjoy anything after all those years.

50fish, Bruce Fischer and mgtstumpy like this.
  7. blackanblue

blackanblue

I will be 65 December 24 but have not worked since 2008 due to bike crash so basicly officialy retired since then, but been busy working on stuff and have a hard time finding time just to do things, don't no how I found time to build a house and raise a boy after a divorse and still working. So the boy turned 33 today he rides the 64 pan and I still got the avatar.RETIREMENT ROCKS.

mad mikey, pila38, chop job and 6 others like this.
  8. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I retired from the USPS packing mail like a pack mule slave on a city route four years ago as soon as I hit 62. I find more stuff to do than there are hours in the day. Tinkering around with the old cars, swap meets, grandkids, traveling and anything else I want to do, money permitting. Life is good!! My best advise is retire as soon as possible. This retirement gig is the best job I ever had!!!

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I want to get the house paid off and then maybe sock away funds for awhile before I hang it up. So I got a few years left to go at it. More than 5, less than 10.

11. That "work" thing is way over-rated.;)

12. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Retirement is great for car guys like us. A couple of guys that I worked with that don't have much to do are bored out of their minds. One is contemplating returning to work because he is tired of fighting with his wife. Our cars are our therapists, lovers, friends and something to occupy our time. I'm retired 8 years now and could not be happier!

13. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Hell ya. Retire healthy and get to play in the garage all day is my dream. A blessing for sure.

14. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

I’ll be 63 tomorrow and I turned in my retirement papers Monday for retirement Friday 12/29. Wish me luck!

1959Nomad, afaulk, rjones35 and 28 others like this.
  15. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

My buddy retired four years ago from a big company at 57years old. He started a small business restoring/fixing old cars and now works 6 days a week!! But he loves it! He turns down a bunch of work.

16. A relative of mine recently asked me about retirement. They wanted some advice from me since I was already retired. I said you have to have a hobby. No matter what it is, you have to have something to do or you will die early. Mankind was not meant to lay around and do nothing, that will kill you early.
    It took me 4 years to catch up on all the stuff I had to put off while I was working. Now it is just a matter of doing whatever I want,whenever I want.
    Retired is not something you do, its something you are.

17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm 75 and have been retired for 9 years; it is NOT over-rated.:)

18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I've just come off a period of sick leave and now on long service leave (LSL) in the lead up to retirement at 60 in early 2019. I've surgery scheduled in early 2018 for ulna nerve and carpal tunnel release so I'll then access my sick leave (SL) entitlements for that period and then when I recover, I'll have a similar operation on the opposite hand and access some more SL. When I've recovered it's back on LSL until 60. I can hopefully then do the things I enjoy including my cars.
    In 2013 I suffered a workplace injury and as a result had shoulder reconstruction which was followed up by other incidents that led to current issues. As such I'm somewhat limited and it's damn stressful not being able to work on my project car. Hopefully after surgery and a period of convalescence I'll be able to get back into things and enjoy retirement like all you guys. I look forward to joining all my car buddies and friends who are so busy doing this, that and the other including getting over there and travelling around in an OT van that I'd like to bring back here. ;)
    I'm fortunate that I've been reasonably fit and never accessed nearly 40yrs of LSL and only short periods of SL which similarly accumulated. I've worked in law enforcement for the state ever since I completed my trade and will miss the work, however there is life after work. I just need to watch my spending and lifestyle.:p:D
    P.S. I need to find a rich widow who loves cars and can keep me in the lifestyle to which I've become accustomed. :rolleyes:;)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  19. Retired back this last June 30th, turned 59 back in Feb. Loving the days spent with my wife working on our rental houses and old cars. Must keep busy as when I worked it was 65 - 70 + hours a week not including weekends. On salary so no overtime. Since I am no longer working at a job, I quit smoking that I started when I was 14 and started working at a gas station. Feel better take a nap when I want to and generally have more time but still not enough to get everything done that I want to. Enjoy it, keep busy do what you like doing and time floats by so you don't even know or care what day it is.

20. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Retired two years ago at 58.
    Worked construction most of my life,
    now I do what I want when I want.
    I do do a little wrenching on the side though,
    to help supliment the fixed income.

21. j3harleys

j3harleys

• I just retired a couple months And turned 70 a couple weeks ago. I don't know how I had time to work. I'm really liking it so far.

22. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I retired june 30 2015 4 days after my 40th anniversary at that job. I loved my job-teaching people to repair Harley-Davidson motorcycles-but could not stand the shitbags that bought the company. I really like being retired! I too dont know how I had time to work!

pat59, Bruce Fischer and williebill like this.
  23. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Retired in December '09 when I was 58 after almost 35 years of combined government service. Built a garage for all those projects that still aren't done. Get to go Rving in the off season and week days so less crowds. I pulled the pin earlier than I initially planned due to a Richard Cranium of an immediate supervisor but looking back its the best thing I ever did.

djr041060, pat59 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  24. My dad went on disability leave at 50 after an accident at work ( Forklift crushed his foot smashed his knee cap and damaged his shoulder!)
    After surgery ( grafting a hunk of bone from his hip into his foot so he would not loose it, more pins bolts etc in his knee then bolts in a jag v12 and the removal of his right side collar bone and 1/2 his tendon on his right shoulder)

He took 1 year to the day to recoperate and he is now busier with project then when he worked 80 hours a week ! He loves having the time to do stuff
    He’s 73 this year and if he could he would skip and whistle every ware he goes!

My father in law retired at 55 as he put on his time at his union job retired did absolute fuck all except complain about having nothing to do, but not doing anything about it and drank and smoked his life away in less then 3 years !

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  25. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Congratulations hard work pays off!

26. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

I retired back in August 2013 and I've got more going on than a one armed paper hanger. Lovin every minute of it.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  27. retirement? you mean you just don't keep working till you die?

28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I wanted to retire at 50...Couldn't cause 55 is the youngest one could go..then I had to wait till the new contract to see if a package was going to be in the new contract..Luckily it was only a year and there was a package so I left at 56..I practiced retirement for that last year so I slid right into it when the time came..;).. Or so I thought..The wife was still working and not thrilled that I was retired, though she wouldn't admit it and instead kept me busy with projects.. Good thing she couldn't see just how long and hard I worked at the projects; after all I was retired..:)..In a couple years she retired and soon got tired of helping me with her projects so things mellowed out...Its been 13 years (and a half) and while I haven't done a lot of things that I had thought about the opportunity is always around and that in itself is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

29. I "retired" at the young age of 55 last September and have been working my ass off . I'm getting more done now than I ever have, if you sit around and mope, life's no fun. Mitch

rjones35 and AHotRod like this.