Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old friend-new life 57 High School hot rod re-build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tater Bug, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

I don't know how many of you have had the opportunity to have one hot rod since high school. I'm 43 now and I was fortunate to have some great influences in my life where cars are concerned. My dad built my 57 as a cool high school cruiser for me when I was a teenager. Cool rake, big and little Cragars and a fresh SBC. I didn't realize at the time how blessed I was.
    Since then I've kept the ol' girl around. Lots of street racing and car shows. 3 years in North Dakota while I was in the Air Force warranted a block heater. She has been part of the family but a neglected one. Although my father in law who is an engine builder has helped me over the years by building a 406 and helped me with a disc brake conversion, she really has just sat around waiting for me to raise my kids and so I can spend some time and money giving her some attention.
    I've finally got my kids raised (for the most part), finally got a shop build (with heat) and finally got a plan. This will be the winter she gets torn down for fresh paint and some upgrades including a hand me down 468 BBC (compliments of the father in law again).
    Follow along if you like and we'll talk shop. (Keep me motivated) I'll take as many pictures as I have time for.
    The plan is to have her running by H.A.M.B. Drag time so..... we shall see.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. it makes me think of Project X

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Much of my teen years were spent cruising with my buddy and his 57...they make great Hotrods...thats a nice one...look forward to the period revival Jnt...;)

4. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

Just a side note... this car has been "corvette yellow" since around 1988. I'm 60/40 on going back the same color. That will be a major decision in this build.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

I love your story and car .... I built my Coupe 30 years ago and I'm in the process of a total makeover on it.

Passion and desire will fuel the motivational fire !
    Glenn

7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Very nice,like those who keep there cars for a long time. I still drive my own high school hot rod from 1959.

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yup!

9. deucemac

deucemac

I envy you. 97 cars ago I let my first car go down the road. Many is the time that I wished I had kept it. All these years later I keep hoping a good replacement would happen to appear cheap. I should have looked when I was young and making good money.

chryslerfan55 and jnt1957 like this.
  10. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

I think it is perfect just the way it is, with the 25 or so years of your scars and bumps. Congrats on keeping her for the long haul.

Sonny Elza and jnt1957 like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

A fellow in town has his 32 roadster still...he has a picture of him sitting on the car in 1961. not many guys can top that! but a few can.

I still have the old pickup I had in high school....that was 40 years ago.

Great to see you getting back to the 57!

12. I guess I am one of the Few I Got my Merc in 51 and still have it its my Baby!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

13. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

14. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

mgtstumpy, TFoch, wicarnut and 5 others like this.
  15. nice project. i had a very similar situation, my dad built the car as a kid, drove it to high school and drag raced it, put it away to start a family, i fixed it up as a kid and drove it to high school, put it away while i worked to a point that the two of us could rebuild it together and enjoy it.
    DSCF5631.JPG good luck with the project!

16. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

17. How in the world did I miss a '57 Chevy thread? Good on ya for hanging onto it all this time. Have owned mine since 1985, my 2nd car. Never give up!
    What are the drivetrain details? Also your paint color choice.

18. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

Over the years it has had a few different small blocks. Most recently a 406 with a solid lift cam. Back in high school it had a three speed Saginaw I swapped out for a Swapmeet Saginaw four speed. I tried and tried to shell that four speed but never could. When we put the 406 in I went to a 350 turbo.
    When she goes back together we will be installing a 468 BBC. A tunnel ram with two fours.
    The new paint color is tough. Most of the time I want to go back with this Corvette yellow. Sometimes I think I'd like to go silver.

19. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

Also, she has a Chrysler 8 3/4 rear end. 410 gears with a spool.

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. like the color.....just my 2 cents worth....

21. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

Updates... almost all the trim off and interior out. Gotta leave it drivable for now. It goes to a friends for some minor metal repair before the front clip comes off. The floors and rockers were replaced back in 1992 or 93 and are still in great shape!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

22. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Yellow is the only color that color should be I've been Around since you have and I can't see it any other color it would be like me repainting my model t coupe red or something it just wouldn't be the same it is funny how time flys my friend when I got home tonight I grabbed the flashlight and went to the barn to have a look at my ol T and had a good long conversation with myself about putting it back together but just not sure I could pull it off just yet lol What could be better than a yellow 57 with a big block maybe one with a blower and a 4 speed lol

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. Great story. I'm 38 and have owned my 59 for just over 20 years. I'll be following this one.

24. clem

clem

Great story !
    Change the colour and you will loose the identity of the car.
    I personally wouldn’t change the colour, but it is not my car.
    Neat as it is really.
    And I am not happy to be the one to break it to you, but-
    Your kids will never be raised...........:)

Frankie47, kiwijeff, czuch and 3 others like this.
  25. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

More tear down...

And yes the windshield cracked just as I was pulling it out.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

26. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wowzers , that is a amazing 57 ....the shop is nothing to sneeze at ....Merry Christmas

jnt1957 likes this.
  27. Because the car was crying, "I NEED A NEW WINDSHIELD". It deserves one.

slobroy and loudbang like this.
  28. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

Yea the windshield isn't a big loss but I still hate to break it. I've been looking through that thing for nearly 30 years. I'm sentimental that way.

kiwijeff, slv63, Gotgas and 3 others like this.
  29. Every little stone chip and scratch that made you cringe for 30 years gone in the blink of an eye. Sad but it will make the car look that much better and you can still keep the old one.

jnt1957 likes this.
  30. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Awesome car and story. Another vote for yellow. 210 tri five sedans just look good in yellow.
    Man, I'm envious of you guys with warehouse style/size shops!

hotrodharry2, jnt1957 and chevy54man like this.