Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration What was THE car that everyone was envious of when you were in high school?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56don, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Deuces

Deuces

You mean this Silver Bullet???? 20140816_082511.jpg

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ron this speaks volumes to there is a better place for these things to be opened up...wow...I know experience played a large part but the street is really not designed for this. Boy you got your crash fix that year huh?

mad mikey and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  3. wicarnut

wicarnut

My car was "IT" 16 in 1964 my first car, 57 Chev 210 coupe, put in 348 tri-carb, 3 speed, 4:11 rear, street slicks, fastest car at our high school that school year, put me on map as car guy/street racer, I lived in a working class neighborhood, no new cars for kids, none of us kids had much money, but we had tons of fun, worked hard, played hard. I definitely noticed with my kids high school, lots of late model nice cars, my kids had cars, but they worked/paid their way, OK cars at best, THEIR car's, BUT it all worked out, all 5 are hard working, successful, appear to be happy, Very Proud of them. Now I see at my Grandchildren's school, kids parking lot full of new cars, things change, for the better ?

Stogy, robracer1, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  4. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

I know, I’m well aware, but I figured I offer a unique view on this question.
    I’m building a small block chevy, and slowly collecting parts and tools for a roadster of some variety (most likely a T)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mad mikey and Stogy like this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gavin my statement was not in any way directed at you. It was my school days which was 1972-1978 I was referencing...I like yourself have to step back to the Good Ole Days as I call them...Glad you've got the period bug that got me. Build on and enjoy the trip back when it happens...;)

6. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

Ah alright, my apologies for the miscommunication, and thank you,
    I wasn’t trying to sound argumentative with my response either :)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys are carrying the torch on as the generations progress so it's good to see you
    enjoying the vintage adventure...what was going on back in 65 is well enough to
    put the hair from on top of your head into your back pocket...so theres
    definitely excitement to be had and you will get there with your
    motivation and growing into it. I talked to a fellow on here who had the bug like you at such a young age
    @blackrat40...who did the evolution to race quite quickly...find his thread and give it a look. So many
    more guys here did the same...Good talking to you...You like Vintage Speed...your in good company...;)

9. There was some nice stuff back then....mostly muscle, with a few rods thrown in. Only but a few were daddy sponsored. Every make represented, and some real rare gems that I would/we would lust for today...
    Always was the stigma of the "fasted guy" at HS, and he showed it.....Until one day......
    The rest is history......
    Although I didn't get the "best car" in the yearbook=LOL, I got the "one you don't want to mess with".
    Satisfying enough for me.

Clay Belt, wicarnut, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  10. JimSibley

JimSibley

IMG_1029.JPG My kid is a freshman , when he gets his license, he will be driving his 32 to school. I'm pretty sure it will be the coolest car there. When I was in school the coolest car in the lot was a 1964 chevy truck, it was lowered and had a nasty little small block in it.

11. Deuces

Deuces

Class of '79 here....
    I still have my Fordson High School id card in my wallet... Don't know why but it's there...:confused::rolleyes::D

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kid you got a cute dog...Probably spends alot of time with the back end of jeans in his/her mouth...Glad I'm safe at this end...

INVISIBLEKID and mad mikey like this.
  13. bchctybob

bchctybob

Class of summer '68; Corvettes were the top of the local food chain, everyone lusted after them. There was a pale yellow stingray with 'mags' and a '62 Vette in orange with big tires in back on American 5 spokes in the student parking lot everyday. Even my metal shop teachers car was cool, a black '65 Vette with crow foot Americans and F.I.
    We had a lot of cool cars at our school (Westchester High near LAX) but everyone lusted after the Corvettes.

14. 54MEB

54MEB

Pete Crow's V8 Vega. Hard to believe I remember that name after 36 years.

15. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

In 1958 the high schools cook, a lady Mrs. Mc Lean drove her 32 5 window every day. It was a great car. Her husband Binks built it. He was a master engine builder and hot rodder. Their son still has the car!

mad mikey, williebill, 56don and 4 others like this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Class of 1968, if I could go back in time I'd take the 1932 Ford 3Window, black with gold stripes Hurst Mustang fastback,'28 A Roadster Pickup, '55 Chevy, MGA Coupe, and the 1923 Dodge Brothers screenside the typing teacher drove.

Bob

17. That's funny, but cool. Your just hanging on to the memories. I got banned from our school parking lot many times. Mainly for banging the gears leaving the school lot.:rolleyes: So I had to park my Vette , at a church lot a few blocks away. A big THANK"S to my Dad for financing it for me. At 17 I couldn't have even got insurance, if it wasn't for him. He own an H.V.A.C. Co. And added it on the truck fleet. I told him that I would work for him for life, and keep the Vette for ever too. And I did both. ;) Ron...

18. ... Fordson's football team back then was unbeatable ! ...
    ... Funny about how we hold onto certain things from the past without really knowing why ...
    ... I've been carrying my draft card for 40+ years in mine for some reason ...

19. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

there were a few,( 71 grad) My friend Betty drove a 59 cad, there was a hot 67 Mustang several Camaros, the chemistry teacher sold her 60 vette to the vice principle, several chevelles etc. The
    one I always remember though was not parked in the lot but picked up his girlfriend every day.
    A 56 Ford with a nasty 312, 4 speed, and a stance that still resonates with me 50 years later. I was and still am a chevy guy but that is one Ford I would love to have.

20. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

class of 65 55 57 Chevys. were cheap and would out run anything in the parking lot. however there was a41 ford that always made me want one

21. Deuces

Deuces

I look at the picture of myself just to see how young I was at 15 when the picture was taken.... '75 er '76.....:(
    And that long hair....:D

22. No cars allowed in HS. Farm kids had bus service. Family's only car went to work with dad. Senior students would borrow parents cars for dates. Not cell phones and no TV at home. Most but not all cars had radios. No drug, gang, or sex problems. Of course this was big city Calif.. Sixties changes things to avoid the war.

23. SwampLedge

SwampLedge

I graduated high school in ‘73. I remember how cars were generally unremarkable among the students except for those of us in auto shop class. The most memorable car for me was the orange mid engine corvair that Bill Frangiamore bought with a blown engine and we transplanted a 327 into it in the class. It was installed by suspending it by a chain from a long pipe supported on our shoulders and walking it through the door openings. At one point I had most of the weight. The most popular cars seemed to the 340 Dusters, but I’ll never forget my friend Steve’s 31 or so Chevy coupe with 4 speed and Corvette engine. It defined “hot rod” for me- basic, and you could watch the road go by under your feet,

Clay Belt and mad mikey like this.
  24. zzford

zzford

That's what they make ether and handcuffs for.

25. zzford

zzford

Class of 1965. Nicest car was a blue and gold 57 Chevy Bel Air 2 door post with a brand new 396 and 4 speed. One of my best friends had a 54 Chevy 2 door with a 302 GMC with 3 carbs, and a 3 speed. VERY strong runner! There was also one guy that was rich and every time a new muscle car would come out, he got it. First GTO tripower in 64, then a 396 Vette. Later on, a street Hemi. I remember one night, we were all hanging out at the local McDonalds, when we could hear something rumbling our way. Pretty soon, you could feel it in your chest. Slowly pulling in was the rich kid with a brand new 427 Cobra. He didn't keep that car for very long at all. He told us that it was TOO scary to drive!

j3harleys and mad mikey like this.
  26. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Class of 2002. I had a 57 sedan delivery. My buddy went through 5 or six gen1 camaros and elcos between junior and senior year.
    There was a 68 440 Coronett, a 70 Nova, 72 camaro, and a 72 Stang.
    Everyone but the Stang was in auto shop. Nobody envied us. They thought we were weird.
    Looking back, I don't know what my parents were thinking letting me drive that delivery, and luckily they never became grandparents.

The senior yearbook has the best car vote listed as a girl who drove a new Kompressor mercedes. What a gay car that was.

Sent from my LGLS992 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Edit to add: There was a kid in band who rode an HD. He was surprisingly cool and a hobbyist restorer of antique firearms. We liked him.

DFH-GMC, Clay Belt and mad mikey like this.
  27. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

A righteous Deuce coupe would get all of the eyes in 65.... IMG_3850.jpg

mad mikey, lothiandon1940 and 56don like this.
  28. Latigo

Latigo

I had the coolest car. At least in my mind! Others might disagree.

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  29. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That sounds like a new topic for discussion all by itself.

30. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

I was in hi school in the late 70's to early 80's, my car was a 67 lemans coupe, fairly fast and most of the time looked pretty fair. the cars i was jealous of was a trio of 69 camaros, red, yellow,and orange, all had matching SS stripes and all were very fast, really nice cars. dont think any of them are around anymore

Stogy and mad mikey like this.