Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Mickey Thompson made some BBC hemi heads for the block that you already have and intimate knowledge of. Arias, is yet another alternative.

2. wicarnut

wicarnut

Kool project ! Be careful with that big rear windshield, a young man here has a very nice survivor and tells us Old Timers that there are no replacements and at some big Mopar show he attends that he's been offered 5K for it, he paid 10K for the car, BS maybe ? just passing info along. will follow along on your build, I like them Mopar's, in my youth, a Chevy man, a good friend since High School, a Mopar man and we street raced several times through the years with my Chevy junk and I beat up on him for many moons. Ironically in my old age, one of my OT hobby cars, Dodge Magnum RT (Hemi) it's the fastest stock street car I've ever owned.

Donuts & Peelouts, els and loudbang like this.
  3. Sounds like a certain Ranchero is in your sights !

4. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can doooo it! I agree, almost funny would be a great name.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  5. Saxxon

Saxxon

No one wants the Chevy II ?? Balderdash and Hokum
    I'll give you $127 US, a Costco size box of Lifesavers, a bag of hockey pucks and all the Canadian beer you can drink. I'll even come get it and save you the effort to deliver it. I'll be there next Tuesday

Cool build...

6. Sheesh, I didn't think the C-Duece could be topped.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and els like this.
  7. remember guys this is a street car that is being built for drag week. I think he wants to stay with a conventional 426. if it should break a cell phone and credit card gets you back on the road. or other hemi guys on drag week can give you parts. exotic or rare parts will make it difficult to fix on the side of the road. a standard deck height; standard cam location block would be the most universal. heads that use parts that interchange with stock parts like a stage five would also be a big plus.

8. 62hotcat

62hotcat

Why not bring the Nova up to funny car status?

loudbang, Hotdoggin DaddyO and els like this.
  9. troybert

troybert
    from muncie in.

10. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Hrmm, just tossing it out there, baracuda ... dart .... they all look the same over 500 HP
    Maybe the wife would like a baracuda.
    Then if the back glass breaks, her car can be parked while looking for a replacement :rolleyes:

11. squirrel

squirrel

She has a Dart still, after all these years... and it's well under 500 HP.

12. 62hotcat

62hotcat

imagesK5CX8I1Q.jpg Im sure the Barracudas gutted already. It would of been cool to evolutionize the Nova. Is that even a word.

13. You never fail to impress, I'm sure this one will also.
    Hope you'll be posting pictures and info along the way.

14. squirrel

squirrel

The Chevy II is a nice car, the way it is. It sort of captures one moment in the funny car evolution. But the Barracuda will be very different, and will sort of capture a different moment.

Anyways...first thing is to come up with a plan. There is so much to think about, it boggles the mind.

The look of the car has to be right, and looking at a bunch of pictures of old cars, a few stick out as having the right look. And of course, when they were being built, they were built that way to function as desired, more than to look right.

To figure out what the magic numbers are, I did a little bit of fooling around with Paint, using the resize function to make an old picture match the scale of a new picture of my actual car. Then I played with the printing size, so that I could print a copy that would have a known dimension read correctly when I measure it with an engineering scale. Then I can use the scale to measure the dimensions on the real race car.

SM resize.jpg

It looks to me like the wheelbase is stretched out to 117", from stock 106". The rear wheels moved forward 8", the fronts about 6" relative to the fender. And the back part of the fender was stretched about 15". It doesn't quite add up, but it's close. (The Sox and Martin car is a 66, which has different bodywork at the ends than my 65)

15. OK, I took off the dual antennas for you guys. Jeez.

squirrel.png

@squirrel

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  16. squirrel

squirrel

wow, thanks!

loudbang and els like this.
  17. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

18. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love the photo shop rendition and the duplicate antenna base on the front fender when it was stretched in the photo shop process. All in all should be one heck of a build. I'm in for the ride.

19. Bugguts

Bugguts

[​IMG]

It's not a altered wheelbase, Hemi powered funny car, but boy has it been fun for the last 34 years. Oh yea, it don't run 8's either, but I love 65 Barracudas!
    Looking forward to watching yours come together.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Squirrel, I have seen you accomplish a ton of cool things, both in person and on the internet. But this it the awesomest!!
    One of the nice things about a 426 Hemi built is that you can go 572 cubes for the same exact price as 426. Unfortunately, the good rocker arm set up is a costly deal. The stock rockers will live at >650 lift and reasonable spring pressures. Or you can go with rollers. Stage V is the best shaft rocker, and if you get them from FHO, they will be specially drilled to pressure feed oil to the rollers. That's a big deal on drag week.

Good luck on your project!

21. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

22. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

This threads got legs,50 pager I bet.

loudbang, els and Deuced Up! like this.
  23. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

24. I'm signed on. I never ran a Mopar, but I have always been wild about the Hemi. It will be fun to watch your progress on the new almost funny car.
    Bob

25. suchadrag

suchadrag

Real close. This is from the Burlington, NC, Daily Times, May 13, 1966

66-05-13 burlington daily times.JPG

26. mmmmmmmmmmmm
    fat motor in a little car
    Im in

27. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

I love the cut of the front fender on that Sox & Martin car. It looks like that car is just ready to tear it up.
    [​IMG]
    (Not sure about the fish, but whatever)

28. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

29. why do it the hard way when you could restore the original Petty Barracuda
    petty.jpg

30. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Hmm? Some door skin's and an extra hood sure would come in handy, I think? [​IMG]

mad mikey, Hombre, mgtstumpy and 9 others like this.