Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration What was THE car that everyone was envious of when you were in high school?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56don, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have made a lot of money building and selling muscle cars to guys who ask this question! Keep asking, PM me for prices and availability :cool:

slv63 likes this.
  2. 56shoebox

56shoebox

The 65 Chevy Van with pot smoke rolling out the windows and cute girls in hip hugger bell bottoms inside.

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Karl Nutall's '36 Buick Century with the '56 Roadmaster engine & dual sidemounts ...

Stogy, mad mikey and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  4. Anything that had more than an 1/8 of a tank of gas. Class of 76

j-jock, Clay Belt, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  5. ................Anything reliable enough to get you to Fred's Inn or the Family Tavern and back again with a stop at the R.I.A.:eek:

j-jock, Stogy, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  6. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Class of 71.... three that stood out, my english teachers silver 63 split window vette, a students plum crazy purple super bird and my 55 nomad

7. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And there is the problem- you should have avoided the "ladies".

The vehicle that still sticks out in my mind was a guy whose father ran a plumbing supply. My buddy drove a fairly beat up Ford Econoline van that had faded painted logo on the front and sides. It was a panel van with no seating other than the front seats. He avoided the "ladies", as well.

This was way before the van fad of the early 70's and ol' Todd had a gold mine there.

8. billsat

billsat

My senior year (1973-4) a new kid moved into our school with a lime green 1965 Mustang that turned everybody's head. It had a very hot 289 in it, big and littles with chrome wheels, and white lace trim on the roof and sides. The story around the school was that it would pull the front wheels off of the ground. The owner's name was Jackson Scott. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a HAMB member, he definitely spoke hot rod.

mad mikey and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  9. Class of '66.......one of the few rich kids in our little town had a Tahitian bronze 57 chevy tudor post. He ran a 283/283 with factory Rochester fuel injection and a 4 speed. Car was neat as a pin with chrome wheels. We all wished we could have anything that nice. I junked out my 56 Olds convertible [hated that car!] to end up with this.... 55fordin66.jpg

10. greg37

greg37
    from mi.

High School 1965, 55 Chevy's ruled !!

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

'73 the lot was full of pretty neat stuff, used 'muscle' was readily available. King of the heap was a gen-u-wine '70 Chevelle LS6 a buddy owned. Gawd that thing would shake the ground! Got t-boned by a city fire truck, in route to a mysterious fire that never was found.... :rolleyes:

12. Class of 72. 20171128_203323.jpg Ronnie Hammond's,67 Fire bird. Look close at the center of an SS Crager 20171128_202720.jpg Ray Ritenoir's 68 fire bird. 20171128_203120.jpg Raymond Strouther's SS 396 Chevelle. We did a lot of drag racing.:eek: Looking back at those cars. It's hard to believe there were no serious injuries. Also had a teacher with a 67 GTO And a teacher with a Boss Mustang.

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    williebill, Stogy, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  13. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I drove the School Bus my senior year '69. It was a '66 Chevrolet with a 427 a 5 speed and a two speed axle.

I don't know if everybody wanted to ride in it.....but every one did

j-jock, 302GMC, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  14. In '73-'74 the coolest and fastest car by far was Patrick Kline's butterscotch '69 Super Bee Dodge running a 440 six pak with a column shift auto ... Bob James purposely went out and bought a '66 Hemi 4 spd Coronet to try to dethrone him ... but still couldn't beat him ...
    ... A couple of other memorable cars in the lot were a white '57 Chevy convert hot rod with a black top ... A '70 SS Chevelle big block 4 spd car that was white with black stripes ... running Ansen Sprint slots with N-50 Mickey Thompson rear tires ...
    ... and then there was a primered '55 Chevy jacked up in the rear with gawd awful fender flares made out of bondo owned by a guy named Luigi ... :eek:

15. { Class of 72 }I had this 68 Vette, and a 38 Chevy coupe. Still have the Vette and girl. 20171128_202542.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

I was 15 in 1962 when one of the older guys in town, probably 20/21 or so purchased a new Red GP Pontiac with 4-speed and white bucket seat interior. To this day I can see him turning the corner 3 blocks from the Dealership after picking up the car. To a kid in a small town in Kansas it didn't get much better.

17. Karrera

Karrera

Class of 1969 here - Jimmy Roberts had a really nice white '57 Chevy, there were a couple of Z-28's, a Lotus Europa, and Victor Turner's Hemi Dart - yes one of those.

18. Rambler, cause the seats folded down!!!

Clay Belt, wicarnut, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  19. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Class of '77 and it would have to be a tie.
    One guy had a red 69 1/2 Roadrunner 440+6 and a 4-speed.Looked beautiful with new paint.
    Another guy had a 1973 Fury 4 door.What made it interesting was it was a retired State Patrol car with a 375 HP 440 and it would burn the tires(sure grip)forever.Think the record was 4 pairs of rear tires in a week. Went like stink as well. Didn't make it through the Summer but it was memorable.

20. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Class of 1998. The cool guys in our little town drove BMWs and that kind of shit! One of the more popular guys had a late 70s Camaro that was blue, raked and had Cragers. Only other 'old' cars people drove were a late 70s Dodge Aspen two door and My 77 Impala two door. Well, some of the farm kids had old trucks too. Mostly 60s and 70s Fords.

21. I don't know about anyone else being envious but I remember two that I personally never got over. I'd sit and stare out the classroom window and I'd watch them leave the parking lot, late 60's early 1970's. A pearl white '65 Chevy II Nova SS. Sitting up high with a chrome tube axle, CRAGAR S/S wheels and a dual quad tunnel ram with velocity stacks poking through the hood. A classmates older brother. Second was a Daytona Yellow '69 Z/8 black stripes and a blower sticking out the hood with dual quads and velocity stacks. Was the boyfriend of one half of the hottest twin blondes in school. He might have been already out of high school and just there to pick up his girl. He was someone's older brother too.

22. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Class of '72. The one everyone wished they could have was Jerry Rosken's 1969 Super Bee 440 Six Pak. It was an animal.

One of the oldest on the school lot was my 53 Ford F100, with a 1955 Desoto FireDome hemi under the hood. Farm-built rear wheels that I used the original Ford centers on and wider hoops from the junkyard, along with a fabricated unbalanced driveshaft, all welded with a buzz box Lincoln and 6013 rods.

williebill, Stogy, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  23. I figured this would be an off topic free for all.

Except mine had white interior and a few 428 emblems :D:p
    image.jpeg

Stogy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  24. sunbeam

sunbeam

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Stogy, 56don and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Oh man, did you have to bring up "that" car.
    Not in the high school parking lot but it was when I was in high school.
    I had the opportunity to drive a new LS-6/4 speed Chevelle (thats a 450 horse 454 kiddies). Granted only a couple miles but a memory long enough to last a lifetime.
    I know, it's OT, but Google it, they are legendary.

billsat, wicarnut, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  26. 54stude

54stude

Class of 91. One of my classmates was a real motorhead, and managed to build and paint a nice 70 chevelle with a cowl hood. The good stuff was starting to get a lot more expensive in 90-91.

27. http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/additional-tech/sucp-1102-chevrolet-muscle-car-dyno-wars/

319 hp to the wheels.
    So why is a LS6 chevelle more fun and of course legendary and have a perception of more power than a late model "entry level" pick up with 325 HP to the wheels? Not that the butt dyno can pick up 6 hp with accuracy :p

28. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

I’m still in high school, and my completely off-topic ‘02 WRX 5-speed wagon, driven on the colder days, and on the strip when possible, or my 1990 Mazda Miata SCCA/autocross car for the warm weather are both easily the fastest and the coolest in the lot, but with today’s teenagers it’s not much of a competition.

I absolutely love vintage hot rodding, and more specifically vintage quarter mile racing, but it is to expensive for my 17 year old budget, although I am slowly putting an old style rod together

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

slv63, BigDogSS, dan31 and 1 other person like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing Hamb Friendly...not even close...;)

Felix 40 and Clay Belt like this.
  30. To put my post in context, "high school" was '58 through '61. It was corn field suburbs of Chicago and convertibles were top of the food chain, followed closely by no post hard tops. Everything else was dog poop sure to get "You're driving your momma's car tonight?" comments. Thanks mostly to a local, every weekend, demolition derby (broadcast on local TV, no less), not much survived from the late '40, early '50's, especially the ugly ducklings.

Bobberash and Stogy like this.