Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I'LL NEVER USE STEEL BRAKE LINE AGAIN - NICOPP !!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-rodster, Apr 13, 2017.

1. brady1929

brady1929

2. brianf31

brianf31

I'm preparing to run brake lines so I checked my local Advance Auto when I discovered "Nicopp". I went straight to the HAMB and wouldn't you know it, there's a thread on it.

Its rare that I don't find a topic covered. I'm pretty sure if I searched for 'Trident sub nuclear reactor swap into Model A", I'd probably find a couple threads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

KoolKat-57 likes this.
  3. Or for my bird's cage. Shuts them right down.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cannot help you with the Trident ones, but I can help you with the Los Angeles Class ones.

5. brianf31

brianf31

The tale is confirmed: this stuff flares and bends beautifully. I like it so much that I'm going to run the 3/8" version for fuel line.

BTW, Amazon has it much cheaper than the parts store.

gonzo and Nostrebor like this.
  6. My buddy and I just used that on a small job the otjer day. Worked fine i plann on useing it again.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. ..........That was me. I started using a tubing bender and quickly found it was easier to just gently bend it by hand. There were a few pretty tight bends that I needed to make and it was a breeze. Couldn't have done it without the expert help from lothianwilly71.:D

catdad49 likes this.
  8. Do you have any worries that it will get smashed easier? if it's that soft will a bump from a jack stand or something smash the line?

9. .................I'm sure it's softer than steel, malleable I guess is the term but, it seems pretty durable. You would have to know more about compressive force than I know. I'm guessing it wouldn't take as much of a hit as steel to collapse it.

10. This is one of my concerns, something on the road flips up under the car once in a while. I went with the standard stuff Napa carries, most of my brake lines have the radius of a floor jack handle.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is an OEM part on numerous vehicles around the globe, from major manufacturers.

Do you think a corporate risk analysis team, and a giant corporate legal team would risk recalls, and giant class-action lawsuits, over something that has no production line cost difference?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  12. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

When planning on doing the lines on my project I pre ordered nicop line at Advance Auto. I just thought it bent too easily, yes I know that sounds weird, but I didn't like how flexible it was. I returned it for steel lines. For easy flares I picked up the Eastwood pro flaring tool.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The more rigid a tube is, the more likely it is to crack under vibration and stress.

Your instinct points you toward incrementally higher risk.

14. This stuff is in stock at my local NAPA and it really works nice plus it has a protective coating. I prefer to use stainless and 37 degree JIS fittings but you can't beat this stuff for the price even if its a dollar or two more than plain steel.

15. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

You sure do have a comment for just about anything don't you...let me comment your comment with one of your last comments...

"It is an OEM part on numerous vehicles around the globe, from major manufacturers.

Do you think a corporate risk analysis team, and a giant corporate legal team would risk recalls, and giant class-action lawsuits, over something that has no production line cost difference?"

For me, I like the steel line because when I bend it, it feels like the bend is there to stay.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was not aware that this board, or any other, throttled the number of posts one could make.

Blue One likes this.
  17. sproadster30

sproadster30
    from Natick, Ma

I built my 36 with it 10 years ago, and will never go back. Still kinda shiny, never crushed it with anything, never leaked, and all my bends are still there. @gonzo check it out.

18. gonzo

gonzo

Yep. I'm going to use the Cunifer brand off of Amazon. 25 feet for 28 bucks shipped. I've seen @sproadster30 's and it still looks great after all this time. No issue with corrosion that I've ever seen.

@krbarnes do you know where you can buy this anti- chafe wire loom?

[​IMG]

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For those paranoid about armoring the lines, you can put steel wrap over it.
    [​IMG]
    16ft for $22.95 on the Amazons.

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: Speaking of comments with little to no value to a topic.

I am going to use the Nicopp for all the lines on my RPU and believe that it is great stuff.
    So, I'm with the rest of the guys supporting it's benefits. :D

21. brianf31

brianf31

AHotRod and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

23. gimpyshotrods likes this.
  24. brianf31

brianf31

The 3/8" version worked well for my fuel lines. It's a good bit harder to bend than aluminum but it's not as unforgiving as steel. fuel line.jpg