Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fake Quick Change???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Andy, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Andy

Andy

A friend is looking to buy one of those fake quick change add ons. He wants to put it on a real banjo. Anybody know who sells them? Thanks

2. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Mr. Roadster, Speedway Motors, and Total Performance have offered them for XKE rear ends and maybe others, but I don't know where you'd get one for an early Ford.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

3. Soviet

Soviet

4. Ruiner

Ruiner

thank god I don't...no offense man, but slap your friend for me...pretty please?...

Blue One, slayer and robracer1 like this.

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why not run a real one? You can score them used for reasonable prices and are of the same strength or better as his current set-up AND he'll actually have something under the rear gear cover to change. Just a though. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

BenD and Blue One like this.
  6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think Toys 'R' Us sells them... Not sure though...

birdog, Nailhead Jason, woodz and 8 others like this.
  7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OUCH! Never thought Ryan would get in on this! I wasn't going to say it, but.... friends don't let friends buy fake Quick Changes! False advertising...

Any bets on how long it will take to get this thread closed?

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  8. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Maybe this will help.

[​IMG]

9. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

and this 'friend' of yours... his name wouldn't be Andy, would it?:p (J/K)

Sorry, I had to...:D

10. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

Hey get a block of cheese some crazy glue and silver paint do it yourself more satisfaction that way and take pics would make a nice tech article

11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, and some blue under car neon and a 4x2 wing on the back........

12. Andy

Andy

This is GREAT. A responce from Ryan!! I agree it is gay. This is the LAST thing I would think of. You try to help your friends. Whatever. I am still working on adding the Chevy valve covers to make my hemi look cool. Thanks everyone.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  13. Ruiner

Ruiner

and here I screwed up and put hemi valvecovers on my hemi...DOH!!!...maybe I should buy some of those fauxmobile rocket valvecovers and adapt them to fit...then I'd be bitchin...man, the best help you could give your friend for wanting to run something like that is a swift smack to the back of the head to knock some sense into him...like scooter said, pick up a decent used quickchange, adapt it to fit and then he can have fun switching gears around and not be called a fag when someone notices that his "quick change" is just a cover...

14. flathead okie

flathead okie

Hell, if it's alright to have 3 carbs an' only run one, there shouldn't be a problem with runin' a fake QC.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  15. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

16. Ruiner

Ruiner

Who said that was alright?...hahaha...I dunno, I don't like the fake tri-power deal either, or the 8 deuce only runnin 4, etc...I say if you're gonna do it, then do it...like daddy always said, "shit or get off the pot"...

17. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Kinda funny because i'm looking through the Bishop-Tardel Book, and on page 54, theres a picture of the fake quickchange center that halibrand used to make, and the description says, "sadly halibrand no longer makes this wonderful piece"

As for me, I can't stand fake anything.

18. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

The Halibrand piece was magnesium, and provided a substantial weight saving over the Ford center section.

It may have been produced that way because it was easier to change existing tooling than to make it from scratch.

Halibrand also made a magnesium "no-change" center section that replaced and resembled the Ford one. They're very rare.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

19. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I'm all for helping my friends as well...

but if I went into a store and yelled out "hey, where can I find some extra small condoms for my friend" I'd expect to get some shit like you just did.

20. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

If you have to do it a banjo rear it may look OK on but it looks hideous on a regular ole rear end housing.

Here is a picture of a bad example. No disrespect to Rocky, I could just live without the fake quickie on his little truck.

Attached Files:

21. Andy

Andy

I laughed till I hurt!!

There is also plans for a '36 bed on a deuce frame & P/U cab. How is this going to work. Anybody see problems?

22. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Saw that same quote a few nights ago. Thought it was a bit strange in the context of the rest of the book.

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You can add me to the "gay club" (if you haven't already) Back in the late 70s I built a steel 27 roadster that had a 10 bolt Nova with a quick change cover. I did it for the same reason that I bolted Cal Custom valve covers on the engine. Neither one affected the cars performance (although the QC cover carried more grease) but I thought it looked good.

It was pretty costly as I remember. I wasn't trying to trick anybody but with the rear end hanging out in the breeze under the short turtle deck, the polished QC cover looked right sporty to me. To me it's just as prctical or as gay as a finned aluminum coil cover or a chromed oil pan. It's a dress up item.

Of course everything that we did in the 70s and 80s was "gay" to all of you. I guess ya had to be there...

Sorry I just had to come out of the closet.

Kan Kustom, Jim Bouchard and zzford like this.
  24. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

The sad thing is that the "general public" doesnt have a clue what is real or fake, its just another "cool old roadster" whether its a coupe, roadster, sedan, or truck for that matter. Got to be a rodder to care I guess.

25. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

yup- 99% of people can't tell the difference between a Boydster and a real hot rod, but the hot rodders will damn sure know its fake.

26. "General Public"? A tremendous number of "Car Guys" don't know a roadster, from a coupe, or sedan. My 3 deuce setup idles on 6 barrels, and the spark plugs run sandy brown. I'd like a Fake Quicky AND a Fake Garlits "Injection" And Larson Engineering Valve Covers. This is a "To Each His Own" Hobby

27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Wow, this is old. Fake is fake. But at least they are quiet (until the peanut gallery starts yucking it up). Gary

30tudor likes this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

2006^^^^^

2017^^^^^^:eek::confused:

29. I don'no. I've seen some fake implants that I wouldn't kick out of bed. :rolleyes:

30. Ryan nailed it 11 years ago...
    Of course you could always wear it as a hat.