Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 53 Chevy PU engine removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jamesgr81, Nov 27, 2017.

1. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

I recently got a so-called ban find opportunity and I jumped on it. 1953 Chevy 3100 PU. The gentlemen who owned it passed away and his daughters were willing to sell.

It was parked inside a garage in 1982 and not driven since. It's completely original, so original that it's a time capsule. No modifications, still has the 216 babbit pounder, 4 speed and torque tube. Split rims, old nylon tires that are permanently flattened, and absolutely no rust or body damage.

I cleaned gas tank, rebuilt carb, new fuel pump and ignition and got it started, and found why it was parked. Rod knock, Damn.

It's been so many years that I have worked on one of these. Can I pull engine and leave trans in truck? Do I have to remove sheet metal to get engine out if I can't? I can see the cast iron adapter and bell housing, I just can't remember if I can separate the adapter from the transmission. I don't want to waste time trying to separate engine from bellhousing if it's impossible.

2. squirrel

squirrel

If it is a manual 4 speed transmission, you can indeed remove the enigne/bellhousing and leave the transmission in the truck. there is an inspection cover on the bottom of the bellhousing, and the lower two bolts go into the transmission from the inside of the bellhousing. The top two are from the transmission side.

You might need to remove the sheet metal to move the engine forward enough to disengage the input shaft from the clutch, though.

tractorguy likes this.
  3. cometman98006

cometman98006

Don't know what your plans are for it but if the engine needs any work at all, you'd be well advised to find a good 235 to replace it. Should bolt right in.

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Have your 2 sawed off headbolts ready to stick in the lower trans case holes - there's gear lube in there ...
    Engine comes right out - no sheet metal is harmed if you have patience. Just pull the hood.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A good part of "comes right out" is if you have an engine lift that will raise the engine up above the core support cross bar. I can do it with my chain hoist but my cherry picker won't lift it high enough.
    Pulling the radiator is a must no matter what and a lot of guys remove the panel in front of the radiator that the latch goes on and cut the top bar of the core suppport out (hopefully welding it back) for pan clearance. That gives you a lot of wiggle room.

tractorguy likes this.
  6. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

Thanks for the tips. I'm on it.

7. ...we wanna see the truck!...are you sure it's a 1/2 ton?...never saw split rims on a 1/2 ton, unless they were 15"...1/2 tons with 4 speeds are kinda rare also...

tractorguy likes this.
  8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Really depends on where you live. Up here in farm country, finding a pickup of any make with a 3 speed is unusual. We also got all the 6 lug split rims - your choice of 15'' & 16''.

9. henry29

henry29

Huh, I've never seen a six lug split rim.

tractorguy likes this.
  10. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

6 lug split rims. Got five of them. Problem is no tire shop around here except truck tire shop will work on them. And they want a lot of money to change each tire. I bought some 6 lug rims that use the original split rim center but are welded to drop center rims so I could move the truck. Went to Collins Muffler in Bellflower. Damn and if I didn't see Gene Collins setting in a chair with his daughter taking care of him. I remember getting new glasspacks on my 56 Chevy put on by him back in 1972. The old fellow is still going, damn! And he's got be at least 20 years older than me.

I have the old split rim tools back at the shop but I had to get the truck outta there that day.

Truck pics on a different computer. I'll post them in a few days.

11. squirrel

squirrel

my 57 suburban came with 15" two piece wheels. Six lug.

before.jpg