Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Looking forward to your build Jim.:)

els likes this.
  2. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

You make the best street monsters!!!!!!!

chryslerfan55 and els like this.
  3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

4. Very Cool! My brother had a 64 Valiant Barracuda as a project before he sold it and built his Dart.

Subscribed..

els likes this.
  5. Deuces

Deuces

Sweeeeeeeeeet!:cool:

6. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

When I saw the car he was building, this is exactly what came to mind, love this car!
    probably a little ambitious for a street legal car though... would need some blinkers first.

7. els

els

VERY NICE JIM, GOOD TO SEE IN SCOTTSDALE LAST WEEK. KEEP ALL OF US POSTED FOR THE PROJECT. IT WILL BE A GREAT CAR. CAN,T WAIT.

8. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Check out the Moparts forums. Lots of dedicated Mopar folks, good racing parts for sale section.

mad mikey and els like this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Cripes yes, this car makes me feel real funny in the frontal region.
    Ok, back to reality.

10. oj

oj

You're an inspiration to us all, this is going to be a great build that we'll enjoy following along - we'll needs lots of pics. If you manage to get anywhere close to that Sox & Martin AWB car it'll be a classic keeper - my 2 cents.

11. BJR

BJR

Will this have an altered wheelbase?

Atwater Mike and els like this.
  12. Congrats on scoring a very nice car to begin the project, and happy building. I will be following along for sure. You always present a interesting build and final product. This should prove to be GREAT FUN!:)

13. squirrel

squirrel

Yes, the plan is to scoot the rear wheels forward somewhere around 8 inches, and the fronts even further. I'm considering building fiberglass front fenders, longer than stock, and with the wheel opening moved forward several inches. Plus glass doors and trunk lid. Not sure on the chassis construction, but probably rectangular frame rails. I intend to use only the roof, quarters, rear panel, outer rockers, and door hinge pillars from the body. Kind of a waste of good sheet metal!

14. There was a Hamber that built one of those the other year - I dont know his handle but the car is called 'Black & Blue' and he runs with the South East Gassers - I like the stretched wheelbase on your idea!!

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds like with your plan you will have some sheet metal to sell to buy go fast parts with.;)

16. Very cool project, albeit a very big project and compressed timeline. With all of the rust free parts you are not going to use, they can help offset the costs for the build. Altered wheelbase, serious engine setback, driving from the back seat, blown elephant (maybe??), and to be street driven for Drag Week. What's not to like?

I think a std transbrake PG will do good for your plans. Light enough weight that you don't need the 3 speed T400/727. Lenco would be cool, might work with one of the torque converter setups instead of clutch. BUt I think the PG is the well proven choice. If needed, a Gear Vendor OD for those highway miles?

17. This is going to be great! I'm a big fan of early A body Mopar's. Brewer & Mull.jpg Kingfish_2.jpg skootin_cuda_plumer.jpg

18. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

In to see what comes out.

Good luck with your project.

19. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

A new chapter in "The Book of Forbes". Cool!

els likes this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

chryslerfan55, els, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  21. ...never woulda guessed this happenin, sounds really cool, maybe you can call it the "Squirrely Fish"

Mtn Goat and loudbang like this.
  22. squirrel

squirrel

I was thinking of calling it "Almost Funny".

:)

but I'm sure we can do better.

23. Thanks for the continued zeal with which you do things. Gonna be busy around your place for sure. Looking forward to the ride along in Almost Funny. It’s for sure gonna be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, mad mikey, els and 2 others like this.
  24. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

How about a 426 wedge? That would be lighter, rite?

25. squirrel

squirrel

Gotta be a hemi.

ratrodrodder, j-jock, els and 6 others like this.
  26. Here's the one I built. I'm sure yours will fit the name better. This has both front and back axle center line moved forward. I did the rears so I had enough body height to get the tires in there. The front went forward to help with Looks. The exhaust look like Zoomies but not exactly. The name was more a Pun being it is a late Rambler and guys hate loosing to a Rambler.
    Roadster Show 3-2014 005.jpg
    The Wizzard

27. Here's your doors and regular fenders in FG.
    Now you just need to build a fender extension. Lots quicker than the whole fender
    http://marktesting.glasstek.com/products/plymouth/barracuda/d7014/

28. I'm in for the ride.....

Don't take Jay Leno for a ride, he's bad luck in fishes. :D