Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical LMC sheetmetal ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnold1938, Nov 26, 2017.

1. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

has anyone tried using there door shells for a 1954 ford f100 pickup and what were the problem areas if any, just want to know if they are worth the price there asking! OR should I just fix what i got?humbly john!

2. southcross2631

southcross2631

Probably off shore made. Will be sort of close. How bad are yours ? None of this replacement sheet metal I have found has fit without some effort. Some more than others.

3. You sure as hell won't like their door hinges. For some moronic reason, they decided to stamp the origin maker "Made in Taiwan" on the open door side of the hinge. I was pissed. I didn't want to see that f#kn' sh#t every time I opened the door. I sent them back.

No clue what the skins are like .... hopefully a HAMB'r with original doors sees your post, and helps you finish.

4. larry k

larry k

You should prolly repair your old parts ! Why spend money on new parts ,and then cut ,weld ,bend, repair them to fit ? When you can fix the factory stuff ,plus you already own them. Any kind or brand of replacement parts will require some amount of work to make them fit on at street rod or custom level. !!!!!!!

5. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

53 54 55 are the same, you should be able to find good used oem doors for less than their skins

6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

• Most likely stamped off shore, which means they'll be thinner gauge metal and need to be tweaked to fit such as door gaps.
    • Expensive. For that price, you should be able to find cherry originals (or pay someone to repair yours if you don't have the skills, tools, etc.). 53-56 F-100 part prices seem to have really softened lately
    49-9956-T DOOR SHELL-LH F100 F250 53-55 (1) 529.95 ADD TO CART
    49-9957-T DOOR SHELL-RH F100 F250 53-55 (1) 529.95 ADD TO CART

We need more details on your doors.
    Are they repairable or totally rotted?
    Do you have the skills, tools to repair them yourself?

Replacement panels are ok if you have deep pockets. Ironically, I just watched a Martin Brothers episode where they did a 67 Chevy pickup and ordered bedsides, door skins, hood, etc. A couple of tall pallet loads of boxes. It must have been thousands in parts. They said it was better than trying to straighten the originals. With pro build labor rates being what they are, I can see how that may have worked for the customer.

As Campbell said. Hopefully a HAMBer that used them chimes in.

Did you Google "LMC F 100 door skins" to see what build reviews come up on various forums?

7. Stooge

Stooge

Preface with saying i am not a fan of LMC , but sometimes they are the only vendor for some very specific things and they have nice exploded views in their catalogs. Not specifically for a '54 Ford, but LMC's repro doors, fenders, and hoods for various gen C10 trucks that I have worked on, have been junk. I understand new panels and body parts needing to be tweaked and massaged, but there's only so much that can be done when a hood is dimensionally too small or a fender pinch seam is positioned wrong.
    Depending on how bad of shape the door is in, I would be more inclined to fix the original or source a cleaner original replacement, probably for less than the $500+ shipping for a repro one. patch panels from someone like C&G Ford or Mac's if the doors need more work and you are capable of doing the work.

samurai mike likes this.
  8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I assume the Martins got a good deal on them for the mention on the show.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. oldolds

oldolds

With body shop rates approaching $100/hour in my rural area and well over that in the city. if those doors are even close you will be saving money. Even if your doors only need bottoms. The fit on Ford doors from factory was not up to todays standards. They usually need to be cut and bent to get "acceptable" gaps.

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yeah, well if I jumped out of my rig to find Amanda waiting for me I'd probably be so punch drunk I'd leave the load gratisimo! Hello. ;)

11. samurai mike

samurai mike

I used lmc rockers and cab corners on a 75 chevy pu and they don't fit for shit. both front fenders came with big ass dents in them also. not only that they were primed black after they were dented.

12. 49clubcoupe

49clubcoupe
    from idaho

Lmc is my last choice when it comes to replacement parts especially sheet metal. I purchased a front fender for a 67 c10 a few years back from them, after the third fender they sent I gave up, complete junk! On the other hand their exploded parts diagrams are the best.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

13. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

OK, YOUR SAYING try to reuse the original thank you hamber's ! IS steve's restoration stamping any door bottoms for 1953-55 ford pickups or do I have to bite the bullet and purchase lmc rice paper! humbly john!