Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DODGE D-100 PANEL TRUCK BUILD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clik, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Clik

Clik

If I run this thing and scatter it, I'm blaming Gene ;)

brEad likes this.
  2. Clik

Clik

I've got the frame all stripped down. Now to build some sort of dolly and haul it to the blaster. I'll probably have them also epoxy prime it. I'm not sure if I'm going to have to cut a cross member out or not to drop the 440/727 in, so I'm not sure if I want to paint it yet.

And then what to paint it with? I would think that one of the state governments or the feds would have done some salt tests. Dodge D100 Panel Truck - Bare Frame.jpg

3. 73RR

73RR

A lot of guys on this forum seem to like POR-15. I have never used it but then we don't have the road salt issues that you East coasters have. I have had good luck with Rustoleum damp-proof red with a top coat.
    YRMV

4. Clik

Clik

I used Chassis Saver on a big truck once. It seemed like tough stuff but it turns chalky in no time. It doesn't hurt it, but it just looks bad. They say it can be painted over but I wasn't concerned with looks on a big work truck.

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

No problem! I've been blamed for a lot of stuff, some of it was even my fault! I've got big shoulders. :D

Now, where do I put that disclaimer........:p
    If something "can't be broken", your not trying hard enough. Try harder! Gene

6. Clik

Clik

Ha! Ha! In all seriousness, thanks for the input.

7. Clik

Clik

Dodge D100 Panel Truck Before Blasting 3 -  2-12-2017.jpg I built a dolly to send this thing to the blaster. It's more for getting it home without scratching it all up and the blaster/painter appreciates that I make things easy on him.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. Clik

Clik

So, I got the frame back from powder coat and have started reassembling. I mounted the new and reworked springs with all new bushings and hardware. Remounted the front axle. Dodge Panel Truck Build 5-28-2017.jpg I mounted the new Currie 9" with disc brakes and Detroit locker. What the Hell, it'$ only money. I stripped and painted the steering box, refilled it with #90 Wt and mounted it with all new grade 8 hardware. Then tonight I mounted the disc brake conversion in the front.

mgtstumpy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Clik

Clik

10. Clik

Clik

I started to replace the ball joints on the tie rod and just wasn't happy with stock rod. It was a little out of whack here and there and a little crusted up. I ordered a new one and they sent one too short and very wimpy. I couldn't find one the proper length. The ball joints looked similar to the size on some Jeeps. I called Rusty's Off Road in Alabama and it looks like they can build a heavy duty version for me. Thicker wall and larger diameter. I couldn't find the right shackle bolts either. I bought some grade eight bolts and had my buddy Big Bird gun drill them for grease channels on his lathe. He cussed me for buying grade eight. I said "But they're just Chinese grade 8's. They can't be all that hard".

11. Clik

Clik

12. Clik

Clik

I was going to straighten the old tie rod as they aren't commonly available. But I decided it wasn't worth the trouble. I'm really happy with the tie rod I got from Rusty's off-road. It's really heavy duty with nice welding on the bungs.

13. Clik

Clik

20170621_220124.jpg I found an adapter to convert the old single pot Dodge 4 hole master cylinder to a two hole double pot split system.

14. Clik

Clik

Mounted the 440 and cut the cross member for the 727 trans and deep pan. D100 Build August 24, 2017 - 440 Mounted and crossmember cut for trans .jpg

exterminator likes this.
  15. Clik

Clik

I bought a '57 Chevy Gas Tank for it. It's damned close to the unobtainable Dodge tank. I scuffed it up and coated it with bed liner paint. D100 Build August 24, 2017 - '57 Chevy Gas Tank.jpg

brEad likes this.
  16. exterminator

exterminator

Your truck is going to be awesome.There is one of these panels posted on craigslist here in my area- if I could only afford another truck.:(

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  17. earlymopar

earlymopar

18. Clik

Clik

I honestly don't remember but It was cheaper than having it painted.

19. Clik

Clik

D100 Crossmember Perch to perch 2.jpg
    The old crossmember was in the way. I had to cut it out (leaving four original holes to bolt to) and fabbed a new crossmember from heavy walled 1" X 2" rectangular tubing.

20. Clik

Clik

D100 Crossmember perch to perch 1.jpg
    Another shot of the fabbed up crossmember under the trans pan and the second one fabbed up for a trans mount. The round mounts are hockey pucks that just happened to be the right thickness for my drive-line angle. Easy to find and replace if ever needed. They are often used as body mounts by Jeep guys.

21. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

22. Clik

Clik

Another set back: I had my 440 rebuilt. My engine builder had it on his dyno buttoning it up when I stopped by. He fired it up and it was leaking water. I guess he was expecting the headers to seal the water jackets. He said he'd stud it and get it back to me. I got it back and dropped it in the frame of the panel truck. No radiator or hoses hooked up. Then it got cold in my barely heated garage and I never thought about the engine freezing. Somehow in my subconscious mind I was thinking that there were remnants of anti-freeze in the block and with no radiator or hoses hooked up...WRONG! I guess he runs his dyno on straight water and I never thought about it. Now I have freeze plugs on the floor and I am imagining worse. Aaaarrrgggghhhh!